• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,947 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2022 at 11:54 PM, eddly said:
On 3/31/2022 at 5:43 PM, Microchip said:

Thats an ultra modern age book, you're out by 50 years on the SA categorisation.  

Don’t be toxic.

You're going to have to explain yourself here.

On 4/1/2022 at 2:42 PM, Brock said:
On 3/31/2022 at 5:07 PM, Microchip said:

You're going to have to explain yourself here.

Check out the toxic thread in Comis General… it’s approaching 20 pages worth of your life you’ll never get back.

:gossip: The Cornfield is up to 850 pages.. 

On 3/29/2022 at 3:47 PM, zosocane said:

Moon Knight is hitting D+ tomorrow and i think many people (I am one) are underwhelmed with what we saw from the trailers

I wasn't crazy about what I saw in the trailers either, but damn, that first episode was slappin'.  Definitely exceeded my expectations!  

On 4/1/2022 at 5:13 PM, FFB said:

I wasn't crazy about what I saw in the trailers either, but damn, that first episode was slappin'.  Definitely exceeded my expectations!  

I thought the trailer was pretty good though the reviews aren't great.  (Better than Morbius though!)

On 4/2/2022 at 4:13 PM, lou_fine said:
On 3/31/2022 at 2:59 PM, Tafkap said:

Sold all my 23 copies of 337

Ummm...............you do realize THIS is exactly why prices are bound to eventually ease big time on these readily available BA  and CA books.  :facepalm:

Even on the Canadian edition, there's essentially a constantly available copy to buy in any and all grades.

image.thumb.png.5bf4b1b46ea09fb829206cef1ca8a190.png

Though I've got to say, this result was extremely impressive.

image.thumb.png.0ba67b2cfb98c668ed423c3ae22ad2f3.png

Well, I imagine this is nothing more than your usual post-movie spanking and beat down that relatively common movie hype books take after the movie has been released, even though it's considered to be a success both from a critic and financial point of view:  :tonofbricks:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/special-marvel-edition-15-master-of-kung-fu-marvel-1973-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/122214-11694.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Superhero, Special Marvel Edition #15 Master of Kung Fu (Marvel, 1973) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

Looks like the above CGC 9.8 graded copy sold for $6,900 in Heritage's Monday auction while the CGC 9.6 graded copy below sold for $2,400:  :headpat:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/special-marvel-edition-15-master-of-kung-fu-marvel-1973-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122214-11695.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Superhero, Special Marvel Edition #15 Master of Kung Fu (Marvel, 1973) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white to white pages....

Never could figure out why speculators were paying 5 figures for this book prior to the release of the movie, especially the guy who spent $18K for his copy as the movie was being released as I imagine they must have really brought into all of the hype and glam at the time.  doh!

On 4/6/2022 at 1:58 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, I imagine this is nothing more than your usual post-movie spanking and beat down that relatively common movie hype books take after the movie has been released, even though it's considered to be a success both from a critic and financial point of view:  :tonofbricks:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/special-marvel-edition-15-master-of-kung-fu-marvel-1973-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/122214-11694.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Superhero, Special Marvel Edition #15 Master of Kung Fu (Marvel, 1973) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

Looks like the above CGC 9.8 graded copy sold for $6,900 in Heritage's Monday auction while the CGC 9.6 graded copy below sold for $2,400:  :headpat:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/special-marvel-edition-15-master-of-kung-fu-marvel-1973-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122214-11695.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Superhero, Special Marvel Edition #15 Master of Kung Fu (Marvel, 1973) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white to white pages....

Never could figure out why speculators were paying 5 figures for this book prior to the release of the movie, especially the guy who spent $18K for his copy as the movie was being released as I imagine they must have really brought into all of the hype and glam at the time.  doh!

I definitely understand that they seemd to buy at the top of its market. That doesn't mean it will not get another bump if they bring him and Moon Knight together later . 

:whistle:20220403_191148.thumb.jpg.0adc95293dddd197334617813fca3565.jpg

:roflmao:

On 4/6/2022 at 12:07 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I definitely understand that they seemd to buy at the top of its market. That doesn't mean it will not get another bump if they bring him and Moon Knight together later . 

Well, I certainly hope so as I really need to get off my duff and send a couple of mine's in for grading and auction somewhere before they go below the price points which I got my copies for.  :facepalm:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 4/5/2022 at 11:58 PM, lou_fine said:

I can never figure out why people pay crazy money for comics just because the character appears in a movie. (shrug) Not like they suddenly became rare or something.

Perfect example, Groot. A stupid talking tree that made a one time forgotten appearance in an obscure “monster” title. Or, Rocket Racoon. Come on really?

Can’t really complain though. I have made stupid money off of stupid people for years because of it…

Edited by Robot Man

On 4/6/2022 at 11:04 AM, Robot Man said:

I can never figure out why people pay crazy money for comics just because the character appears in a movie. (shrug) Not like they suddenly became rare or something.

Perfect example, Groot. A stupid talking tree that made a one time forgotten appearance in an obscure “monster” title. Or, Rocket Racoon. Come on really?

Can’t really complain though. I have made stupid money off of stupid people for years because of it…

Well ... I'm inclined to agree with you, except for the part where you're calling people stupid.

But your examples are a bit strange because both Groot and Rocket Raccoon have first appearances that are actually somewhat rare.

Groot isn't such a good example. I've been a fan of pre-hero Marvels since I started collecting in the '70s and knew him as a character since then. He was revived in Hulk Annual #5 in '76, along with a group of other monsters, which was a blast for someone like me. I'll let Wikipedia fill in the rest:

"Groot first appeared in Tales to Astonish #13 (Nov. 1960), and was created by Stan Lee, Larry Lieber and Jack Kirby.[2] He appeared again in The Incredible Hulk vol. 2 Annual #5 (Oct. 1976), alongside five other monsters from Marvel's anthology horror comics of the late 1950s and early 1960s. In The Sensational Spider-Man #−1 (July 1997), Groot was featured in a nightmare of the young Peter Parker.

Groot reappeared in 2006 in the six-issue limited series Nick Fury's Howling Commandos, and appeared in the Annihilation: Conquest and Annihilation: Conquest – Star-Lord limited series. Groot went on to join the Guardians of the Galaxy in the series of the same name, and remained a fixture of the title until its cancellation with issue #25 in 2010. Groot appeared in its follow-up, the limited series The Thanos Imperative, and, alongside fellow Guardian Rocket Raccoon, Groot starred in backup features in Annihilators #1–4 (March–June 2011) and Annihilators: Earthfall #1–4 (Sept.–Dec. 2011)."

So, maybe he was a B-lister but he had much more than a one-time forgotten appearance and was a part of the Marvel universe.

Now, that's not to say I don't think movie hype isn't crazy. One that leaps to my mind is Marvel Spotlight #4. The first appearance of a book? The value has gone up because of a book? :eyeroll:

Edited by Dick Pontoon

On 4/6/2022 at 2:58 AM, lou_fine said:

That 9.8 has a bad cut and/or wrap and is also off-centered in the slab.  Probably impacted the final price some.  (shrug)

ouch! someone got off on the wrong side of bed today

On 4/1/2022 at 11:37 PM, Microchip said:

Even on the Canadian edition, there's essentially a constantly available copy to buy in any and all grades.

image.thumb.png.5bf4b1b46ea09fb829206cef1ca8a190.png

Though I've got to say, this result was extremely impressive.

image.thumb.png.0ba67b2cfb98c668ed423c3ae22ad2f3.png

I truly don't understand 9.9s.  If it was just about perfection a lot of these brand spankin' new comics would be grading 9.9 or 10's instead of 9.8's.  It just seems like a random thing they give to comics that would otherwise be graded 9.8s'. 

On 4/6/2022 at 6:58 PM, Tafkap said:

I truly don't understand 9.9s.  If it was just about perfection a lot of these brand spankin' new comics would be grading 9.9 or 10's instead of 9.8's.  It just seems like a random thing they give to comics that would otherwise be graded 9.8s'. 

Supposedly the 9.8 is the top, unless a comic is perfectly centered to perfection and one other criteria like the wrap or something.

Basically I'm saying from your comment, all comics should be 9.8, unless there are qualities that are rarified. If I remember it was the wrap centering and I'm not sure what else.

Perhaps clean cut, it's hard to wrap the head around, I'm just sure it's not a figment of our imagination lol

:insane:

9.6 is NM +

9.8 is "nm/ mint"

9.9 is mint +

10 is gem mint

To that effect if it helps lay it out

I don't know if it's a known thing or not, but I assumed that they give out the 9.9s and the even rarer 10s on some kind of statistical % basis of books submitted.  Basically, if a book looks perfect it will get a 9.8, unless it's time to give out a 9.9.  Then they'll take the "best" looking book that would have been a 9.8 and make that the 9.9 Ditto for 10s.  Keep them coming, but at a regular and very, very low %

I am a cynic.

On 4/6/2022 at 7:40 PM, Axelrod said:

I don't know if it's a known thing or not, but I assumed that they give out the 9.9s and the even rarer 10s on some kind of statistical % basis of books submitted.  Basically, if a book looks perfect it will get a 9.8, unless it's time to give out a 9.9.  Then they'll take the "best" looking book that would have been a 9.8 and make that the 9.9 Ditto for 10s.  Keep them coming, but at a regular and very, very low %

I am a cynic.

Lol it seems that way, they can call it presentation, but if it's not available to the common eye lol

Its faith with me haha