• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,937 posts in this topic

On 12/5/2022 at 8:39 AM, g-man said:

same book (IMO a nicer copy) on the link ending later today currently at $750

E-Bay seems to be kind of a dumpster fire over the last 4 or 5 months so it appears CLink may be the better option for these kind of books.

On 12/6/2022 at 11:11 AM, LordRahl said:

These are neither insane nor should you have been floored by the prices. If you track Adams horror covers these are completely in line with what books of this caliber should go for. Honestly those prices for those books were achievable 10 years ago so I'm actually surprised they weren't higher given how much higher the rest of the market is compared to 10 years ago.

Should is often a disappointing way to describe a book, but I am glad to see these books doing well.    They're great books of the era.

On 12/5/2022 at 4:43 AM, dikran said:

Well you should call them for me cuz they’ve never allowed me to hold books after many calls… (shrug)

Too much trouble as I've paid for my last few orders online.  (thumbsu

The last time I talked to them was back in 2018 or 2019 when I paid for an order and asked them when it would be shipped and they replied that my profile was set up for shipment only upon request.  Thanked her kindly and still haven't bothered to make a request yet, but probably should after my next order or so.  :facepalm:

On 12/6/2022 at 12:24 AM, lou_fine said:

Too much trouble as I've paid for my last few orders online.  (thumbsu

The last time I talked to them was back in 2018 or 2019 when I paid for an order and asked them when it would be shipped and they replied that my profile was set up for shipment only upon request.  Thanked her kindly and still haven't bothered to make a request yet, but probably should after my next order or so.  :facepalm:

To clarify, will they ship each held order separately and charge you shipping on each or will they ship with a combined single shipping fee? I think that’s where I may have not been clear. I’m actually surprised they don’t tack on a storage fee! :baiting:

On 12/6/2022 at 7:17 AM, g-man said:

was watching secret wars #1 cgc 9.8 (direct)....went for $307 on the link last night. Good price. 

5 years ago it was a $100 book.  Is there any reason that book should be more than say $150 now?

The prices for stuff like this was an incredible bubble over the last couple of years. 

Are there really a lot more people wanting a CGC 9.8 copy of this for their actual collection than there were 5 years ago?

On 12/6/2022 at 4:31 AM, dikran said:

To clarify, will they ship each held order separately and charge you shipping on each or will they ship with a combined single shipping fee? I think that’s where I may have not been clear. I’m actually surprised they don’t tack on a storage fee! :baiting:

No, similar to my orders with CL at the time, they simply combined all of the orders into one much larger shipment.  (thumbsu

Yep, also totally surprised that they don't charge a storage or safekeeping fee.  lol 

Edited by lou_fine

On 11/11/2022 at 3:16 PM, VintageComics said:

Maybe if you had a better case, but in this case you're likely wrong. 

I didn't even see the sales on GPA because I don't have my Sig Series box checked on GPA. I had to check that box just now to see the recorded prices. That's how little attention I pay to Sig Series books. 

And they both sold on the same day, too?

From the same seller?

Within an hour of each other?

A seller with only 185 eBay feedback?

And a seller who has never sold anything expensive before?

And the bidding is private?

And neither buyer has left feedback for the purchases even though they were completed a month ago.

None of the above is weird to you? ???

Come on. These two examples are about as shady as can be. No wonder nobody serious bid on them. lol

This is not the type of example you want to build your case on. These auctions have everything going against them and nothing in their favor. 

Like I said, if I'd seen the books I'd have bought them at that price. Most dealers would probably have even paid 50% higher, or more than what they sold for. 

They obviously either went under the radar because MANY people completely ignore Sig Series books or nobody bid on them because the auctions looked shady as F***dge.

Likely both. 

Imma take us back a few weeks to the discussion we were having about Hulk #181 auction results in 9.8

There were some people who thought that the two Sig Series copies of #181, which went extremely cheap and were sold under unusual circumstances (two 9.8 Sig Series copies sold by the same low volume seller within an hour of each other) were representative of the general market. 

I argued they weren't. In fact, many argued that the Sig Series books are not representative of the actual market, especially at auction.

I was watching the Marvel Spotlight #5 CGC 9.4 issues in the current Clink auction and the blue label went for over $17.2K while the Sig Series copy went for $11.9K, further supporting the argument that Sig Series books do not have the same bidder pool that blue labels have. 

The blue label sold right at market.

The yellow label sold for 30% less.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FPreviewCode%3D2022nov%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dmarvel%2Bspotlight%2B5%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1614486&id=1614486&itemType=0

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FPreviewCode%3D2022nov%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dmarvel%2Bspotlight%2B5%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1630548&id=1630548&itemType=0

On 12/6/2022 at 8:09 PM, VintageComics said:

Imma take us back a few weeks to the discussion we were having about Hulk #181 auction results in 9.8

There were some people who thought that the two Sig Series copies of #181, which went extremely cheap and were sold under unusual circumstances (two 9.8 Sig Series copies sold by the same low volume seller within an hour of each other) were representative of the general market. 

I argued they weren't. In fact, many argued that the Sig Series books are not representative of the actual market, especially at auction.

I was watching the Marvel Spotlight #5 CGC 9.4 issues in the current Clink auction and the blue label went for over $17.2K while the Sig Series copy went for $11.9K, further supporting the argument that Sig Series books do not have the same bidder pool that blue labels have. 

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FPreviewCode%3D2022nov%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dmarvel%2Bspotlight%2B5%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1614486&id=1614486&itemType=0

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FPreviewCode%3D2022nov%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dmarvel%2Bspotlight%2B5%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1630548&id=1630548&itemType=0

You’re comparing the 9.4 W Suscha News pedigree book to a non-ped 9.4 OW/W with inferior QP?

Really?

DA7C6CCC-3618-406D-8E01-79DB17CD2D2D.jpeg.fd2fde36259285c4b1b8fb4cd62973d1.jpegF94E2DD7-1E33-4105-89B1-215F07E398CF.jpeg.769fb6699204d4025294d23ab72f8e4a.jpeg

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 12/6/2022 at 8:09 PM, VintageComics said:

I can help validate that argument with my recent eBay buy of a CGC 9.6 (White) Conan # 11.

It was the single Signature Series, albeit signed by Roy Thomas, not BWS.

Counting it, there are still less than 40 total copies in 9.6 or better - so it's among the hardest of the BWS Conan run to find in grade.

GPA shows last two sales in CGC 9.6 blue as $1,681 and $1,600.

I picked up this sig series copy for $407.

Don't get me wrong - I was ecstactic for the purchase, but also confused - is a Roy Thomas signature considered more a defect than an asset?

Edited by Gatsby77

On 12/6/2022 at 8:40 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Don't get me wrong - I was ecstactic for the purchase, but also confused - is a Roy Thomas signature considered more a defect than an asset?

Technically, any writing on the cover is a defect.  The SS program simply ignores that defect when assigning a grade.

On 12/6/2022 at 8:48 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Technically, any writing on the cover is a defect.  The SS program simply ignores that defect when assigning a grade.

Haha. Yeah - but not what I meant.

Example - I've low-key been chasing a CGC 9.8 McFarlane Sig Series Hulk run (330-346) for years now. Think I only have 6 of them right now.

They *always* go for far more than their non-sig counterparts.

Incidentally, the hardest issue in that run is # 343 - only 2 in 9.8 sig series, and one of those is a Peter David, not McFarlane.

On 12/6/2022 at 8:54 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Haha. Yeah - but not what I meant.

Example - I've low-key been chasing a CGC 9.8 McFarlane Sig Series Hulk run (330-346) for years now. Think I only have 6 of them right now.

They *always* go for far more than their non-sig counterparts.

Incidentally, the hardest issue in that run is # 343 - only 2 in 9.8 sig series, and one of those is a Peter David, not McFarlane.

Unlike Conan 11 in 9.6 W, the Hulk McFarlane books are plentiful in hg Blue.  I can understand SS copies of those books selling for a significant premium.  The audience for McFarlane sigs is definitely way bigger than Roy Thomas. 

I haven’t checked GPA, but do any blue label McFarlane books sell for more than their SS counterparts?  My guess is no.

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 12/6/2022 at 8:32 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

You’re comparing the 9.4 W Suscha News pedigree book to a non-ped 9.4 OW/W with inferior QP?

Really?

No.

I'm comparing the recent GPA average, which the Sucha News fell into with the Sig Series sale.

The last 3 copies since June sold for $18K, $15.6K and $17K.

The Sig Series 9.4 sold for 30% less, which may be accounted for by the fact that most Vintage higher end buyers gloss over Sig Series books, as testified by several people on here who are active in the market. 

Dork. 

Edited by VintageComics