• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,028 posts in this topic

On 1/25/2022 at 8:05 PM, Singh Capital said:

The comic scene is wild right now…I am a crypto guy, new to this world. Thinking of diversifying into CGC comics but do you guys see the market cooling down anytime soon? Books like Punisher limited 1 and his first appearance in Spider-Man have gone insane. Not to mention ghost rider, hulk 181 and others. 

Personally I have been sitting on the sidelines too long watching the prices go up. In my opinion I think things could get even crazier especially if eBay integrates comics into their collections feature. It would be really nice if we had tools like the ones offered on GoCollect baked right into eBay. These kind of things are inevitable and will only serve to help push this space forward. 

Everyone say hello to their wet dream come true please. :highfive:

Any observations from HA over weekend? Just tracking this one FF29 early Watcher app. Not surprisingly It ended at 1,320 more than double last GPA high but that was a year ago. Anything standout to anyone?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/fantastic-four-29-marvel-1964-cgc-vf-nm-90-white-pages/a/122206-11412.s

I just saw that a UK (pence) copy of FF #13 (1st Watcher) in CGC 8.0 (wp) went for a rousing $5200.  What the...?  Is this book that hot?

Dan

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/fantastic-four-13-uk-edition-marvel-1963-cgc-vf-80-white-pages/a/122206-11403.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

On 1/30/2022 at 5:22 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I remember that DD #168 9.8 sale for $13,200 ... completely insane, makes no sense.

These ones are always frustrating. 

It pushes the item beyond the reach of the humble collector, and those that purchased high doggedly hold on, thinking to recoup their expenditure. This, of course, rarely happens.

I imagine there are a lot of frustrated types out there who were burnt on Iron Man 55, Ms. Marvel #1 etc.

Common sense isn't so common, as we know. 😉

On 2/7/2022 at 10:17 PM, World Devourer said:

These ones are always frustrating. 

It pushes the item beyond the reach of the humble collector, and those that purchased high doggedly hold on, thinking to recoup their expenditure. This, of course, rarely happens.

I imagine there are a lot of frustrated types out there who were burnt on Iron Man 55, Ms. Marvel #1 etc.

Common sense isn't so common, as we know. 😉

Its always good to hear from the “humble collector*” that had chance after chance after chance to buy this a grand pre-pandemic.

On 2/7/2022 at 1:48 PM, Drummy said:

I just saw that a UK (pence) copy of FF #13 (1st Watcher) in CGC 8.0 (wp) went for a rousing $5200.  What the...?  Is this book that hot?

Dan

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/fantastic-four-13-uk-edition-marvel-1963-cgc-vf-80-white-pages/a/122206-11403.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

It's the single highest graded UK copy out of a very low census total. It looks like a tight grade with perfect centering and WP so it may actually be a bargain. All early FFs are in the same category as Ditko ASMs on a straight line up since the pandemic. 

On 2/7/2022 at 7:17 PM, World Devourer said:

I would imagine there are many many frustrated buyers longer term who were succumbed by all of the movie and TV related hyped books, especially when it comes to the relatively common books and if they had brought at the top of the market.  :cry:  :tonofbricks:

On 2/9/2022 at 12:34 PM, bluehorseshoe said:

Its always good to hear from the “humble collector*” that had chance after chance after chance to buy this a grand pre-pandemic.

Well, new collectors should be able to buy most issues - with a few obvious exceptions - all the way back to the 70s.

The sad fact is most of the product wasn't very good.

Copper, at least in the issues I have been looking at, has not eased at all.  I haven't won an auction in weeks.  And I am posting this because I just lost two a few minutes ago.  Every time I go kind of high with my bid, then think well I better add some, so I add 10%, and I still end up 2nd highest bid.  For instance, just now I was planning to go $550 on one and $600 for the other, which I felt were fair prices.  So I bid $600 on one and $650 on the other at the last second.  Sure enough, the first one closed at $601 and the other at $655.  And yet, in hindsight, I don't even care that I lost them at that price.  There is just always someone willing to go 15-20% over.

On 2/10/2022 at 10:51 AM, Poekaymon said:

Copper, at least in the issues I have been looking at, has not eased at all.  I haven't won an auction in weeks.   There is just always someone willing to go 15-20% over.

USA and Canada printing trillion(s) of fiat money a Ponzi scheme? Inflation running at 10% a year. Collectors trying to buy collectibles rather than hold paper money?

On 1/26/2022 at 12:05 PM, Singh Capital said:

The comic scene is wild right now…I am a crypto guy, new to this world. Thinking of diversifying into CGC comics but do you guys see the market cooling down anytime soon? Books like Punisher limited 1 and his first appearance in Spider-Man have gone insane. Not to mention ghost rider, hulk 181 and others. 

Personally I have been sitting on the sidelines too long watching the prices go up. In my opinion I think things could get even crazier especially if eBay integrates comics into their collections feature. It would be really nice if we had tools like the ones offered on GoCollect baked right into eBay. These kind of things are inevitable and will only serve to help push this space forward. 

@VintageComics this is what I'm thinking of for the next jump in comic prices.

On 2/18/2022 at 12:19 PM, supapimp said:

That captain marvel 28 CGC 9.8 is mind boggling. Even more than the DD168 CGC 9.8 sale 

Not really if you consider the fact that DD 168 has something like 266 copies already graded and slabbed in CGC highest 9.8 condition, while there's only a meagre 4 copies of Captain Marvel 28 in this same CGC 9.8 highest graded condition level.  (shrug)

Pretty much the same reason why Marvel Spotlight 5 with only 4 copies graded and slabbed in CGC 9.8 sells for much more money than Hulk 181 with its over 140 copies in CGC 9.8, even though we clearly know that Wolverine is a much more popular and well known character as compared to Ghost Rider.  (thumbsu