• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,050 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2022 at 8:31 AM, Bird said:

I think it is much ado about nothing, I shouldn't have posted probably. The values are still down but I see another missing value now with a "-" as 90 day avg, and it is my X-Men 1 (1.5 IIRC). so some books are missing values

do people not use gpa as much as I think they do? Or not know about the value feature? I'd never do a chart over time though. I just look at it and see how the # changes mostly, I never used it until pandemic and it has been neat watching..

I am a member of GPA and GoCollect.  When I first got GPA, I wanted to upload my collection to track the values, but there was no bulk upload facility.  No way was I going to manually enter over 2,600 books in the system.  If they ever decide to make it easy to upload an entire collection at once, I would consider it.

On 3/18/2022 at 4:07 PM, Bird said:

I just lost another 10%. my 35 books (sorry, much more than the 20 I said earlier) were $51K at the beginning of the week or so and now at $39K

well, 90 day gpa for ss4 is now a dash, so that explains a bit (shrug)

Now aren't you glad we didn't close that deal, ol' pal??? :cheers:

But to chime in with a recurring sentiment, we all know the ups and down of the market. Just give it the most valuable and fleeting resource all of us have: time.

The only substantial factor I see affecting future prices down the line are the lack of new collectors seriously getting into the game. Tho' I see all of these speculation bro YouTube shows that I don't watch, but it does reassure me a bit that there *are* new people getting into it assuring a comics market 20 years from now (I'm assuming on my brief glances at some of these shows that these are younger guys).

On 3/20/2022 at 4:01 PM, Bird said:

gimme dem comix :sumo:

my post was ONLY meant as a small snapshot, which is all any one time measurement is

:tonofbricks:

No, I know, I just have been so busy with classes that I'm late to every conversation! Catching up on these threads is like Quantum Leap sometimes! Okay, not really but 

On 3/18/2022 at 5:27 PM, Bird said:

(I also noted that I saw why a few $K was missing with the SS4 value now a "-")

Does this mean that the current prices on the SIlver Surfer 4's are way too volatile to be able to even come up with an estimated value?  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/20/2022 at 10:35 PM, lou_fine said:

Does this mean that the current prices on the SIlver Surfer 4's are way too volatile to be able to even come up with an estimated value?  hm

No just that there were no recorded sales in that particular grade in the last 90 days. 

On 3/21/2022 at 9:58 PM, dikran1 said:
On 3/21/2022 at 1:35 PM, lou_fine said:

No just that there were no recorded sales in that particular grade in the last 90 days. 

The next SS4 9.6 coming up on Clink, looks soft if you don't like bad back covers.  

It's one of the very rare books in the next auction, where they've included a scan of the back cover.  There are many more valuable books, with no back cover scan included.

image.thumb.png.d218c030eac585b3df0440b802fc5ebc.png

image.thumb.png.87a0a6808d57d924057a4b76d89e9b4a.png

On 3/21/2022 at 9:57 AM, Microchip said:

The next SS4 9.6 coming up on Clink, looks soft if you don't like bad back covers.  

It's one of the very rare books in the next auction, where they've included a scan of the back cover.  There are many more valuable books, with no back cover scan included.

image.thumb.png.87a0a6808d57d924057a4b76d89e9b4a.png

Do the staples look like that because of pressing?  The dents looks more pronounced than they should be. 

On 3/21/2022 at 9:57 AM, Microchip said:

What the hell is going on with the lower right hand edge of the front cover? It that a printing defect or is part of the cover detached?

On 3/21/2022 at 10:49 AM, Mephisto said:

What the hell is going on with the lower right hand edge of the front cover? It that a printing defect or is part of the cover detached?

is the book perhaps trying to escape the inner well? That is a weird effect (I hope it is an effect/artifact and not on the book)

On 3/21/2022 at 8:15 AM, Bird said:

is the book perhaps trying to escape the inner well? That is a weird effect (I hope it is an effect/artifact and not on the book)

If it was an CC auction, then I would say it was a bad scan or picture because they simply take terrible picturesin terms of their angles with the bottom edges sometimes seemingly falling off or bent and yet the book is perfectly fine when you received it in hand.  :facepalm:

On 3/22/2022 at 4:40 AM, lou_fine said:

If it was an CC auction, then I would say it was a bad scan or picture because they simply take terrible picturesin terms of their angles with the bottom edges sometimes seemingly falling off or bent and yet the book is perfectly fine when you received it in hand.  :facepalm:

I did have that with my recent FF 77.  The clink scan highlighted faults in the book, that diminish see in hand.   

The white you can see at the top of the insignia box is almost non existent in hand, in fact the entire top edge is over highlighted.   There's a lot of NCB creases along the edge that are causing this. as the angle of the paper changes.  It doesn't look like the book has been pressed at all. 

FF 77 CGC 8.5 Tailor Ped.jpeg

On 3/21/2022 at 3:58 AM, dikran1 said:
On 3/20/2022 at 7:35 PM, lou_fine said:

On 3/21/2022 at 6:57 AM, Microchip said:

I just took a quick look at GoCollect and they state that the current FMV for a CGC 9.6 graded copy of Silver Surfer 4 is $23K.  (thumbsu

For all of you Surfer aficonados out there, any idea if this is close to reality or is this on the high side with prices trending back downwards?  hm  (shrug)

On 3/21/2022 at 10:21 PM, lou_fine said:

I just took a quick look at GoCollect and they state that the current FMV for a CGC 9.6 graded copy of Silver Surfer 4 is $23K.  (thumbsu

For all of you Surfer aficonados out there, any idea if this is close to reality or is this on the high side with prices trending back downwards?  hm  (shrug)

GPA has the sale of an OW copy for $24500 on March 10th

On 3/21/2022 at 7:49 AM, Mephisto said:

that appears to just be a reflection within the case, imo. 

i'm sure they'd send you a larger scan and tell you exactly what you're looking at if you wrote to them. 

On 3/23/2022 at 11:18 AM, StingerMcK said:

Yeah pre covid, before the spec bubble

Cool. I am going to a show this weekend, my first since COVID, and I'm reaaaaaaaally curious about what pricing is going to look like. I'd already planned on ignoring the walls and sticking to the bargain bins, but maybe I'll find some deals. I guess we'll see!