• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,947 posts in this topic

On 1/23/2022 at 2:48 PM, NoMan said:

perhaps but they could have inflicted some serious damage

Not everything is bid up to the maximum,  my guess is they have it all down to science.  Also how do you know it was not shilled to the price you won it at?  Keep in mind if all item hit their maximum they will price out a decent segment of bidders. Again they probably have it all mapped out and get the minimum they want from every item they sell.

Only way to avoid is not to patronize them.  Myself I consider every item they sell as if the item does not exist. A collectible black-hole as it were.

On 1/23/2022 at 7:57 PM, Terry JSA said:

I guess I’m one of the lucky ones under 40. :x

I want to show encouragement, but in reality, your the one encouraging us! Woo Hoo!

On 1/23/2022 at 6:37 PM, Aman619 said:

I love the paranoid reasoning every time this subject comes up!  People have to realize that Heritage is a charter member of the trilateral commission that runs everything in the world.  One of the maxims is that you will never win a comic book auction without their permission!  duh!

as far as i am aware, neither comiclink nor comicconnect has been sued in court by a former employee for shilling their own stuff, nor has anyone made a lengthy video with numerous sources claiming that they do in fact do this routinely on many items. so, while multiple allegations do not prove it, the combination of these, along with numerous dealers recounting similar experiences, along with my own personal experience with them give me a fairly obtained reasonable doubt. paranoia has nothing to do with it. 

On 1/23/2022 at 1:38 PM, MAR1979 said:

What allegations? Its legal in Texas. While they may not advertise the practice, in the state in which they are charted it's totally lawful.

Can someone point me to the Texas law that shows what is and is not legal? My search capabilities, especially when it comes to state law, is apparently terrible. I tried to find it, but have been unsuccessful. 

On 1/23/2022 at 5:57 PM, MAR1979 said:

Not everything is bid up to the maximum,  my guess is they have it all down to science.  Also how do you know it was not shilled to the price you won it at?  Keep in mind if all item hit their maximum they will price out a decent segment of bidders. Again they probably have it all mapped out and get the minimum they want from every item they sell.

Only way to avoid is not to patronize them.  Myself I consider every item they sell as if the item does not exist. A collectible black-hole as it were.

Sounds like a great place to sell.  hm

[Joking, as I've used several dealers and auction houses to sell my most valuable comics, but never Heritage.  I did, however, win a large number of books at auction at Heritage for over a decade, and often paid less than my maximum bid to do so.  A handful of them were major Silver Age keys.  But I'm not at the top of the comic book food chain, so my experience may not be representative for every buyer.]

Edited by namisgr

On 1/24/2022 at 7:27 AM, Shrevvy said:

Can someone point me to the Texas law that shows what is and is not legal? My search capabilities, especially when it comes to state law, is apparently terrible. I tried to find it, but have been unsuccessful. 

I assume (e)(3)

https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=3&p_dir=&p_rloc=128251&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=128251&ti=16&pt=4&ch=67&rl=70&dt=12/02/2006

On 1/24/2022 at 7:37 AM, dikran1 said:

Thank you.

Shill bidding is NOT legal (Heritage was sued for shill bidding because it is illegal...):

(d) A licensee may not knowingly use, or permit the use of, false bidders, cappers, or shills at any auction.

Owner, agent, consigner can bid if disclosed:

(e) Before beginning an auction, a licensee must announce, give notice, display notice and/or disclose:

(3) if the owner, consignor, or agent thereof has reserved the right to bid.

On 1/24/2022 at 10:07 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Anybody looked at the stock market lately? If this doesn’t ease up prices a bit, I don’t know what will

B8ABAE37-9A26-4B80-967D-C83D2431DDD8.gif

Take that to the shed for a whoopin!

On 1/24/2022 at 11:07 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Anybody looked at the stock market lately? If this doesn’t ease up prices a bit, I don’t know what will

B8ABAE37-9A26-4B80-967D-C83D2431DDD8.gif

Even worse for those crypto currency owners.  Bitcoin traded at >$51k right before the new year, and has since dropped to a low of $33k today.  That's a pretty massive haircut for anyone playing the crypto game.

On 1/24/2022 at 11:53 AM, PiggyTTV said:

What's the difference? They're both shill bidding. 

Honestly, not sure. Maybe someone can shed a light on that. I can understand how an auction house or employee being allowed to bid on an item is not shill bidding (but could be shill bidding). I am less clear on an owner bidding on his/her own item. 

I am also curious how many states have similar laws. Texas is not uniqe, I am certain. 

In its terms, Comiclink states that Comiclink, its owners and its employees may bid on any lot not owned by themselves. Comiclink also expressly prohibits a consigner from bidding on its own item. 

EDIT: This is probably not the thread for all this, but wanted to add Heritage's terms. They are similar, but different to Comiclink. A consigner may give a written bid ("minimum bid") prior to the live auction. That bid will receive a reduced comission if it wins. Consigner may bid on their own item in a live auction, but must pay the full commission. Heritage, its employees and affiliates may consign items and bid on those and any other items.

The difference between Comiclink and Heritage is that a consigner can bid on its own items at Heritage, but not at Comiclink. The auction house, employees and affiliates can bid on items at either.

Edited by Shrevvy

On 1/24/2022 at 11:29 AM, NoMan said:

i miss the original Little Rascals. That show was great!

https://www.classicflix.com/products?display=grid&keywords=Little+Rascals&per_page=20&sort=ascend_by_alphabet

As close as the average person will ever come to having clean 35MM Prints over a screening room projector.  These were professional restorations done by a true master of the craft primarily in the analog domain - meaning assembling the films from the best known sources and in some cases cleaning cells by hand. Not some cheap jack Digital restoration that almost always looks horrible

There is detail galore on these Blu-rays.  Even if these shorts are 90 years ago, Miss Crabtree [June Marlow] is totally hot in any decade or century!

My recommendation to any interested is grab these, direct from the label (classicflix) before the manufacturing run ends and these go for 3-4x the price in the secondary market.   Vol 5 will be out in April, and 6 later this year.

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/24/2022 at 10:21 AM, MAR1979 said:

https://www.classicflix.com/products?display=grid&keywords=Little+Rascals&per_page=20&sort=ascend_by_alphabet

As close as the average person will ever come to having clean 35MM Prints over a screening room projector.  These were professional restorations done by a true master of the craft primarily in the analog domain - meaning assembling the films from the best known sources and in some cases cleaning cells by hand. Not some cheap jack Digital restoration that requires almost always looks like .

There is detail galore on these Blu-rays.  Even if these shorts are 90 years ago, Miss Crabtree [June Marlow] looks totally hot in any decade or century!

My recommendation to any interested is grab these before the manufacturing run ends and these go for 3-4x the price in the secondary market.   Vol 5 will be out in April, and 6 later this year.

YOU THE MAN! I live in Los Angeles near Triangle Stage (Silverlake/Echo Park) where these films were made. You can often see locations (Hills/staircases, etc) in the area used in The Keystone Cops, Little Rascals and other Mack Sennet productions as you drive around.

On 1/24/2022 at 11:20 AM, Shrevvy said:

The difference between Comiclink and Heritage is that a consigner can bid on its own items at Heritage, but not at Comiclink. The auction house, employees and affiliates can bid on items at either.

My bidding was disabled when my items came up for auction with HA.  A couple of years ago.  Has this changed?

On 1/24/2022 at 4:52 PM, Chief1332 said:

My bidding was disabled when my items came up for auction with HA.  A couple of years ago.  Has this changed?

I don't know about all the comic auction sites, but there are auction houses that allow one bid by the seller.  If I had a big book that is going dirt cheap I would rather have that option to buy my own book back and pay the extra fees.