• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,039 posts in this topic

On 3/8/2022 at 7:33 AM, PKJ said:

Gi Joe 22 for $875? I typically bid on all the Joe issues but don't recall that book having such high sales numbers before.

I recall one copy sold in Oct for $750 so it’s not that much of a stretch to hit $875.

Additionally, a CPV copy sold in excess of $2K

On 3/8/2022 at 4:04 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Right. I leave a window open on any book I’m following. Not the easiest thing in the world. 

I tend to go in on opening day and put low opening bids on anything of even remote interest.  You can then track them in the My Auction Bids section.     

On 3/8/2022 at 7:54 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I recall one copy sold in Oct for $750 so it’s not that much of a stretch to hit $875.

Additionally, a CPV copy sold in excess of $2K

That's a little crazy, 9.8's in that run certainly show separation from 9.6's. I usually buy a few from each auction for a little more than grading but they are normally 9.6's. 

On 3/8/2022 at 7:57 AM, DC# said:

I tend to go in on opening day and put low opening bids on anything of even remote interest.  You can then track them in the My Auction Bids section.     

That's a good way to do it.  Tracking bids. 

If I'm serious about a book, I normally don't bit until the end, so that wouldn't work for me.  I should do the tracking bid thing as you suggest

On 3/8/2022 at 9:25 AM, PKJ said:

That's a little crazy, 9.8's in that run certainly show separation from 9.6's. I usually buy a few from each auction for a little more than grading but they are normally 9.6's. 

I think with CGC making 9.8’s elusive over the past 3-4 years, folks are willing to pay more for them now, in light of their ‘relative scarcity’.

almost has me thinking of the increased CPR money CGC is taking on for all of the re-subs

On 3/8/2022 at 9:51 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That's a good way to do it.  Tracking bids. 

If I'm serious about a book, I normally don't bit until the end, so that wouldn't work for me.  I should do the tracking bid thing as you suggest

It's also a great way to keep track of closing bids as once you bid on something it'll be in your account forever.

On 3/8/2022 at 8:57 AM, DC# said:

That works except when the Suspense 3 hits 6 figures within a few hours. Tracking bids can become nerve racking.

On 3/6/2022 at 9:54 AM, piper said:

It sure looks like Clink is getting lower auction prices than Heritage. Better venue for buying?

As others have stated above, I think there are often "deals" to be found on Clink.  But you can find exceptions in every auction on every platform.   For example, I won a Fantastic Four #211/9.8/WP/Direct Edition from Heritage for $930 two weeks ago.   A similar WP/DIrect/9.8 sold for $1,303 yesterday on Clink.   

And there are outliers on all the platforms too.   In session 1 of March Clink auction a X-Men #133/9.8/OW-W/Newstand sold for an eye-popping $2,833.   That is way above FY22 high of $1680 and FY21/All-time high of $1800.    And Heritage had a big outlier I noticed last night - a What If #1/9.8/WP sold for $3,120 which is way above all-time high of $1300 last year and the Jan/Feb 2022 sales that were in the $700-$800 range.   And I am sure there were many more than just those two - those just happened to catch my eye.  

On 3/8/2022 at 5:09 PM, DC# said:
On 3/6/2022 at 9:54 AM, piper said:

It sure looks like Clink is getting lower auction prices than Heritage. Better venue for buying?

As others have stated above, I think there are often "deals" to be found on Clink.  But you can find exceptions in every auction on every platform.

Although there are certainly exceptions on every platform, I think it's also a case of each auction site having their own particular customer base.  hm

For example, I feel that the customer base for Heritage is much stromger when it comes to OA and high end GA books.  CC, on the other hand, seems to be strong when it comes to the early pre-Robin 'Tec books and early Action's along with some of the other GA books.  CL seems to be partocular strong when it comes to the highest graded copies of the more recent BA and CA books because that seems to be the preferred venue of choice for the so-called CGC label chasers.  Of course there are always exceptions on each one of the auction platforms, but it's also a case of knowing the strength of the customer base for each of them too.  (thumbsu

Perfect case in point being the CGC 9.8 graded copy of GSXM 1 which was auctioned off for some $67K just last week while the Heritage equivalent graded 9.8 copy sold for just $43,200 a week earlier after 2 CGC 9.8 copies sold there for $48K a month earlier in January.  So, I guess both steals of a deal and overpriced outliers can be found on all auction sites if you take a closer look.  

Continued tracking of my personal collection value for collectible insurance.
I am utilizing eBay sold items (with auctions taking priority over buy-it-now) to determine FMV.

January to February           .74% increase
February to March            3.86% decrease       

Would have been a larger decrease, but Batman books are up this month.
(11 of the 50 are Batman related. presume this will be corrected in two months.)

Edited by Troy Division

@DC# thanks for adding the green for results that have increased, i think it reads more clearly. interesting how early spideys are all over the place. and i was shocked to see that hulk 181 8.0 sold for over 10k on comiclink. rumors of that book's demise were, yet again, premature. 

Giant Size X-men #1 gets a reality check

image.thumb.png.e5cda2dc23ddfe737a2f70689f0ecead.png

Just sold in 9.6 (as above) - $13,000

Last than 6 months ago this book sold for $29,000+

"Silly prices for common books biting people in the behind shocker"

On 3/13/2022 at 10:08 PM, Beige said:

Giant Size X-men #1 gets a reality check

image.thumb.png.e5cda2dc23ddfe737a2f70689f0ecead.png

Just sold in 9.6 (as above) - $13,000

Last than 6 months ago this book sold for $29,000+

"Silly prices for common books biting people in the behind shocker"

Are you referencing the Heritage sale from last night? That was $13,000 before the buyer's premium which makes the sale price $15,600. Also, that was an ugly 9.6. It has off-white pages, some light tanning on the cover edge and a miscut. I am old school, but would not grade that as a 9.6. Contrast that to the $18,000 copy sold at Heritage in January. That was a much better copy.