• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,050 posts in this topic

On 3/18/2022 at 2:57 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Market needs some major movie announcements :goodvsevil:

I just lost another 10%. my 35 books (sorry, much more than the 20 I said earlier) were $51K at the beginning of the week or so and now at $39K

well, 90 day gpa for ss4 is now a dash, so that explains a bit (shrug)

Edited by Bird

On 3/18/2022 at 7:57 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

FWIW, I really don't recommend trying to track the value of your comics collection week to week.  I wouldn't even recommend that for your 401(k), and at least there's tons of trading volume for the assets you're holding.  With comics you're dealing with very sparse data points and imperfect comparisons (certified grades smooth things out a lot, but every book is still unique).

gpa tracks value automatically if serial #s are entered, and yes I look. I hope I didn't give the air of concern, it is not an issue but since this thread is about how prices are changing I thought it worth mentioning.

or alternatively...go fist yourself!

On 3/18/2022 at 7:57 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

FWIW, I really don't recommend trying to track the value of your comics collection week to week.  I wouldn't even recommend that for your 401(k), and at least there's tons of trading volume for the assets you're holding.  With comics you're dealing with very sparse data points and imperfect comparisons (certified grades smooth things out a lot, but every book is still unique).

Really? I thought 35 comics is an excellent view of the market as a whole. I mean, if it were only 20 like I first said I could see your point but this is 35 comics. All different ones too.

sorry, feeling Friday!

On 3/18/2022 at 8:07 PM, Bird said:

gpa tracks value automatically if serial #s are entered, and yes I look. I hope I didn't give the air of concern, it is not an issue but since this thread is about how prices are changing I thought it worth mentioning.

or alternatively...go fist yourself!

Are you serious?  I'm not the kind of person to go running to a mod, but this post is WAAAAY over the line.  I was trying to be helpful.

And sorry, but 35 comics is not the sample size you seem to think it is.

On 3/18/2022 at 8:17 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Are you serious?  I'm not the kind of person to go running to a mod, but this post is WAAAAY over the line.  I was trying to be helpful.

And sorry, but 35 comics is not the sample size you seem to think it is.

NO I was not serious in any way shape or form. :facepalm:

On 3/18/2022 at 8:22 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

OK, that's a relief.  No harm, no foul.

I was just trying to be encouraging -- i.e. don't worry too much about week-to-week fluctuations, and unless you bought at the very top of the market you will likely be fine.

Thank you. Sorry if my attempt at humor was so poorly worded. GPA has two numbers, price you paid and value (I think that one is from the 90 day avg but not sure). The numbers have been fairly stable for the last 6 months or so, slowly trending up but nothing major or sudden. Then this week a major drop. So yes, it is very limited but worth noting. (I also noted that I saw why a few $K was missing with the SS4 value now a "-")

On 3/18/2022 at 4:07 PM, Bird said:

I just lost another 10%. my 35 books (sorry, much more than the 20 I said earlier) were $51K at the beginning of the week or so and now at $39K

well, 90 day gpa for ss4 is now a dash, so that explains a bit (shrug)

Definitely an interesting way to capture the value of a segment of your collection.  Not asking you to do more work, but curious to see how this plays out over time, like a weekly or monthly chart. hm

On 3/20/2022 at 8:25 AM, Motor City Rob said:

Definitely an interesting way to capture the value of a segment of your collection.  Not asking you to do more work, but curious to see how this plays out over time, like a weekly or monthly chart. hm

I think it is much ado about nothing, I shouldn't have posted probably. The values are still down but I see another missing value now with a "-" as 90 day avg, and it is my X-Men 1 (1.5 IIRC). so some books are missing values

do people not use gpa as much as I think they do? Or not know about the value feature? I'd never do a chart over time though. I just look at it and see how the # changes mostly, I never used it until pandemic and it has been neat watching..

On 3/20/2022 at 8:31 AM, Bird said:

I think it is much ado about nothing, I shouldn't have posted probably. The values are still down but I see another missing value now with a "-" as 90 day avg, and it is my X-Men 1 (1.5 IIRC). so some books are missing values

do people not use gpa as much as I think they do? Or not know about the value feature? I'd never do a chart over time though. I just look at it and see how the # changes mostly, I never used it until pandemic and it has been neat watching..

If there are no sales in 90 days the value reverts to your buy price. You would have to input a value manually in that case. That’s what the force button is for. 

Here are some "big book" results from the ComicConnect auction this week.    I did not include the Marvel Comics #1 "Pay Copy" results but close to $2.8M after 15% buyer premium.   And a 2.5 copy of Marvel did better than a 4.5 sale in January.     A few other observations:

- I do believe we are seeing a top on Amazing Fantasy #15 - at least for now.   This auction was down.   The Goldin from a few weeks ago was down.   Weekly Heritage results have been mostly flat (Sunday 3/20 PM update - a 3.0 sold on Heritage for $44.4K vs last sale in Feb of $48k).  The March CL results were mixed (a 6.5 was up vs a 2 year old comp, a 4.0 was down, and a 1.5 was up)  On the Silver Board there has been discussions about the quality of the copies that have been a bit softer.   But 2-3 months ago every ragged copy that came to market seemed to push prices higher.   Someone may point to that recent eBay sale of a $39k for a 1.5 as a counter point.   But that feels like the definition of an outlier as it was $17k higher than a Feb sale and $7k higher than a March 2.0 sale.   

- The Amazing Spider-Man #1 6.0 was an unbelievable looking copy.   It trended higher than the 6.5 copy over the entire auction.  

- Incredible Hulk #1 numbers were really impressive and seem to build on the Nov and Dec sales numbers for 8.0/7.0 copies 

- X-Men #1 still seems to be bouncing around a fairly tight range since the 2nd half of 2021 with most grades peaking in Spring/early Summer 2021.   

- JIM #83 and TOS #39 showing some nice strength on CC.    A TOS #39 5.0 did much better here than the 5.0 copy on the March ComicLink (20k vs 16.8k)

421052603_ScreenShot2022-03-20at7_51_39AM.thumb.png.31abf3530501b2a8ce4e092a6d99d6e8.png

Edited by DC#