• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Comic Art Show
4 4

264 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Nexus said:

Dealmaker: Look...me and the Dueling Dealers people...we got this little misunderstanding.

Audience: <confused>

Dealmaker: See, they're the Dueling Dealers. We're the Dueling DealMAKERS.

Audience: <skeptical>

Dealmaker: They got rounds. Ours are..."levels".

Audience: <playing along>

Dealmaker: See, they got a claim show. We got a claim program. We both have two dealers competing to see who will sell the most, with a winner and a loser at the end. BUT...they do their show on Wednesday. We do ours on Sunday.

🍇 🦍 🤷‍♂️ 

04F728EA-A461-4697-976A-1E022DB02A44.gif.82de32eac1e5960cc3d35643bf368441.gif

45 minutes ago, Skizz said:

My only experience with Bechara/Nostalgic Investments is from nearly 10 years ago when I was a still a student and hadn’t quite discovered collecting comic art yet.

I saw his booth at a comic con in the UK and approached to ask how much something on his wall was.  Without looking at me he replied “Too much”.  I had never been spoken to in that condescending way before (or since then for that matter) and walked away with a bad taste in my mouth. 

After getting into comic art, I saw him again at a comic con few years so and realised it was the same guy. I decided that I’d never buy from him, irrespective of what art he has.

I never had that response from Bechara, but many years ago when I started collecting golden age comics I stopped at one dealer at a NY con and asked the price of one of his Captain America Comics. I got a long lecture (about 10 minutes at least) on why such comics were so expensive before he finally gave me his price. Like you I felt he was so condescending that although I saw him at many cons after that I never stopped or bought anything from him. It is a hobby, he needed me more than I needed him.

2 hours ago, Skizz said:

I had never been spoken to in that condescending way before (or since then for that matter) and walked away with a bad taste in my mouth. 

Approximately my experience as well.

So many lost sales lol 

But then again, at those prices...naw, weren't going to happen anyway :) 

9 hours ago, vodou said:

Approximately my experience as well.

So many lost sales lol 

But then again, at those prices...naw, weren't going to happen anyway :) 

That’s my general take on his stuff, as well, although he was always respectful towards me. I remember an Adams cover he had been trying to move for about 3-4 years without success for 13k. Market was probably around 10k, and it wasn’t that interesting a cover. He wouldn’t budge on price. Guess which dealer-brothers have it now? My guess is Heritage in 2 years where it will go for 15k, and somehow be considered a success.

No one is perfect but agree no excuse for that. I’ve had chuckling in my general direction when I asked about a piece. But after making a few purchases the ice was broken. In general I think the value of customers needs to be understood more even in this high demand market.

1 minute ago, artdealer said:

Just watched 5 minutes of the recent show. 
Its like watching mushrooms grow....
Slow and boring, no excitement, no personality. 

Not going to disagree. But I will acknowledge what I thought were improvements over the last show.

-The timer was appreciated. I don’t want to spend all Sunday afternoon on the computer. Helped the rounds move a bit quicker. 

-Glens prices were not astronomical like last time. And I didn’t get deja vu like I normally do from the stuff he lists. 

I think there’s a happy medium to be had between boring and frenetic.  At times on last weeks DD, it was like Bill was trying to herd cats. 

I don’t think it was hard to improve on the debut episode, but at least it’s moving in the right direction. 

3 hours ago, grapeape said:

Any chance in the 1st round of claiming a  Sal Buscema floating heads page for $595 or less?

New lawnmower.

3 hours ago, artdealer said:

That would be a no. 
S. Buscema floating head pages now command $1000+ with those guys. 

Meet...new roof ;) 

48 minutes ago, grapeape said:

A “deal” was made for a Millie the Model 2x page at $195 down from $295.

It’s the apocalypse!

54 minutes ago, cloud cloddie said:

Not going to disagree. But I will acknowledge what I thought were improvements over the last show.

-The timer was appreciated. I don’t want to spend all Sunday afternoon on the computer. Helped the rounds move a bit quicker. 

-Glens prices were not astronomical like last time. And I didn’t get deja vu like I normally do from the stuff he lists. 

I think there’s a happy medium to be had between boring and frenetic.  At times on last weeks DD, it was like Bill was trying to herd cats. 

I don’t think it was hard to improve on the debut episode, but at least it’s moving in the right direction. 

Herding cats would have been more entertaining than what I watched. 
I guess my and your definition of frenetic differ. 

Had a similar experience with Bechara at the first or second Comic Art Con. I inquired about a piece of art on his wall and was told “it’s expensive”. I said OK, how much. Response was “it’s expensive”. He Literally wouldn’t tell me the price. I walked away. 

A few months later the piece appeared on Burkey’s website and I immediately bought it. (and it was expensive)

Edited by William Vuk

4 hours ago, William Vuk said:

Had a similar experience with Bechara at the first or second Comic Art Con. I inquired about a piece of art on his wall and was told “it’s expensive”. I said OK, how much. Response was “it’s expensive”. He Literally wouldn’t tell me the price. I walked away. 

A few months later the piece appeared on Burkey’s website and I immediately bought it. (and it was expensive)

Sounds like he already had a deal in hand, maybe a bigger package than the one piece, and he didn’t want to queer things by offering it to you.