• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Recent Experience Selling Comics Through Mycomicshop
23 23

1,141 posts in this topic

On 11/14/2022 at 12:13 PM, thehumantorch said:

Unfortunately there are deadbeat buyers.  I've sold about 50 books through mycomicshop and had 2 fail to pay.

After selling for 3 years on MCS with no problems I've had 4 nonpaying buyers in the last 2 months. Super strange, but fortunately most of it is dreck, not keys that have been dropping by hundreds of dollars in value. 

Edited by Flanders82

On 11/14/2022 at 10:58 PM, Flanders82 said:
On 11/14/2022 at 2:13 PM, thehumantorch said:

Unfortunately there are deadbeat buyers.  I've sold about 50 books through mycomicshop and had 2 fail to pay.

After selling for 3 years on MCS with no problems I've had 4 nonpaying buyers in the last 2 months. Super strange, but fortunately most of it is dreck, not keys that have been dropping by hundreds of dollars in value. 

Same; never had a problem with payment and now my last 2 books (one through eBay and the other through MCS) didn't make it to that final, crucial stage.

Both were best offers; I understand the eBay buyer (b/c it's eBay), but the MCS buyer and I went back and forth on a price which I finally accepted. And now no payment.

This was my first time selling comics with MCS through their auction. Three books, and they sold for peanuts. No surprise there, they're not high demand books and frankly I was just hoping to clear them out. However, two of the three still haven't paid. Hmm, nonpaying bidders and basement level sales, hey, I can get that action at eBay! ;)  Just kidding, I will likely continue to consign with MCS as I do like the service, but man, it's a double kick in the teeth when your books sell for pennies AND the buyers don't even bother to pay for 'em!

On 11/21/2022 at 6:44 AM, F For Fake said:

This was my first time selling comics with MCS through their auction. Three books, and they sold for peanuts. No surprise there, they're not high demand books and frankly I was just hoping to clear them out. However, two of the three still haven't paid. Hmm, nonpaying bidders and basement level sales, hey, I can get that action at eBay! ;)  Just kidding, I will likely continue to consign with MCS as I do like the service, but man, it's a double kick in the teeth when your books sell for pennies AND the buyers don't even bother to pay for 'em!

That sucks...:sorry:

But maybe it's better if they don't pay.  At least then you can just list the books at a fixed price on MCS

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 11/21/2022 at 9:52 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

That sucks...:sorry:

Yeah, it's not great, but I don't blame MCS. And to be certain, I'm not, like, seriously angry about it or anything. The market is down now, and it's the holidays, and these books are not in-demand books, so I knew the sales would be low. But I was hoping they'd at least PAY for the stuff, so I could clear a few things out of my cart! Oh well, I guess it's not too late, the payments could still come through. Fingers crossed!

On 11/21/2022 at 6:44 AM, F For Fake said:

My experience with MCS has been that you are better off consigning than listing comics at auction. For some reason they just don't seem to generate the same auction interest as the other big auction houses. I have been told the Prime auctions do better but that is mainly for keys, etc. and I honestly have never noticed a big difference in final values compared to the regular auctions (at least for my stuff). I prefer to list my comics for sale as consignments and then drop the price by 5% semi-regularly (to get it back in the new listings) until I get a bite.

On the other hand, their auctions can be a great place to buy stuff cheap! (thumbsu

On 11/21/2022 at 3:31 PM, Black_Adam said:

My experience with MCS has been that you are better off consigning than listing comics at auction. For some reason they just don't seem to generate the same auction interest as the other big auction houses. I have been told the Prime auctions do better but that is mainly for keys, etc. and I honestly have never noticed a big difference in final values compared to the regular auctions (at least for my stuff). I prefer to list my comics for sale as consignments and then drop the price by 5% semi-regularly (to get it back in the new listings) until I get a bite.

On the other hand, their auctions can be a great place to buy stuff cheap! (thumbsu

That makes sense. The items that I had in the auction were books that hadn't moved on consignment. So I wasn't expecting much out of them, just wanted to clear some inventory and figured I'd take whatever store credit I could get out of them. But if the winners never pay, I guess I'll relist as consignment at a significant discount.

I've not bought anything through their auctions before, but will have to add it to my rounds. I've been getting a lot of cheap stuff on CLink lately, I'm assuming a result of the market being down, and the holidays approaching. Bad time to sell all around, it would seem, at least for the cheap drek I traffic in.

On 11/21/2022 at 2:45 PM, F For Fake said:

That makes sense. The items that I had in the auction were books that hadn't moved on consignment. So I wasn't expecting much out of them, just wanted to clear some inventory and figured I'd take whatever store credit I could get out of them. But if the winners never pay, I guess I'll relist as consignment at a significant discount.

I've not bought anything through their auctions before, but will have to add it to my rounds. I've been getting a lot of cheap stuff on CLink lately, I'm assuming a result of the market being down, and the holidays approaching. Bad time to sell all around, it would seem, at least for the cheap drek I traffic in.

Are you telling me it’s time for me to start buying cheap drek again? 😀

On 11/21/2022 at 3:49 PM, Hamlet said:

Are you telling me it’s time for me to start buying cheap drek again? 😀

It's certainly better than it was for the last couple of years, but one does have to wonder if it won't go even lower!

On 11/21/2022 at 2:50 PM, F For Fake said:

It's certainly better than it was for the last couple of years, but one does have to wonder if it won't go even lower!

I pretty much stopped looking at stuff a couple of years ago because the prices got so silly.  I haven’t bought much outside of dollar books for a long time.  I’ve started following some of the MCS auctions recently.  Still a little high for my tastes, but at least a few things are starting to peak my interest.

One other thing I've recently noticed with MCS that I'm not sure I agree with is a notation they occasionally include on listings for PLOD slabs, in the most recent example, a CGC 9.0 Marvel Premiere #15 (C-1: Small amount of color touch on the cover):

"Restoration this minor has very little impact on value and virtually none on how the book presents. A truly beautiful copy..."

I think this is very misleading for any potential buyer as restoration of this type actually has a huge impact on value, often decreasing it (when compared to an unrestored copy in the same grade) by 50% or more.

On 11/22/2022 at 11:15 AM, Black_Adam said:

One other thing I've recently noticed with MCS that I'm not sure I agree with is a notation they occasionally include on listings for PLOD slabs, in the most recent example, a CGC 9.0 Marvel Premiere #15 (C-1: Small amount of color touch on the cover):

"Restoration this minor has very little impact on value and virtually none on how the book presents. A truly beautiful copy..."

I think this is very misleading for any potential buyer as restoration of this type actually has a huge impact on value, often decreasing it (when compared to an unrestored copy in the same grade) by 50% or more.

@mycomicshop

On 11/21/2022 at 9:44 AM, F For Fake said:

I usually get the opposite on their site:  When the book sells for a higher-than-average price, I hold my breath and hope for the best because I've gotten quite a few non-payments (not sure why, though I guess testing the market, buyer's remorse or someone just getting caught-up in a bidding duel might account for it).  On the other hand, when something goes for peanuts, they don't believe their luck and are just falling all over themselves to pay up fast, as if the selling price might somehow magically be rescinded.