• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todd McFarlane discussion and appreciation thread. Lets see those covers!
4 4

292 posts in this topic

On 3/8/2022 at 9:36 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

423 is definitely the more popular image, no doubt. I'm just surprised the 'Tec cover doesn't get more love in general as his first major title cover (and interior Todd pencils too, and a good story on top of that, at least compared to 423 - and the 'Tec is part of a "semi-key" storyline).

I hear you, and we can certainly discuss it for some time or we can just shrug our shoulders and agree with 423 being the McBat cover that stands above all others, much like Batman 227 became the Adams Bat cover to collect.

On 3/8/2022 at 9:48 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I hear you, and we can certainly discuss it for some time or we can just shrug our shoulders and agree with 423 being the McBat cover that stands above all others, much like Batman 227 became the Adams Bat cover to collect.

227, 232 and 234 are the books I feel I still "need," but I keep getting distracted by other good deals and shiny things and spending my budget elsewhere. I like 227 - a lot - but I'm still glad I picked up 244 and 251 first for my collection. I'll have a 227 one day. Also would love a 'Tec 400.

Anyway, back to the Toddfather...

On 3/7/2022 at 3:39 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

If you liked McFarlane Friday, you'll love McFarlane Monday.  Received a big chunk of his IH run today in the mail.  I can see right now I'm going to have to dedicate an entire box to McFarlane. (I know 335 isn't a McFarlane cover, but I wanted to keep the run continuous from 330-346).

Hulk #331.jpeg

Hulk #332.jpeg

Hulk #333.jpeg

Hulk #335.jpeg

Hulk #337.jpeg

Hulk #336.jpeg

Hulk #342.jpeg

Hulk #343.jpeg

Hulk #346.jpeg

The Hulk covers from 331 through 339 in that run aren't McFarlane covers, not just 335, right?

On 3/9/2022 at 1:40 AM, jdandns said:

The Hulk covers from 331 through 339 in that run aren't McFarlane covers, not just 335, right?

Sorry, yes. I was unclear. 331-339 (except 335) were McFarlane issues were he did artwork as penciler, skipping 335 altogether where he had no input.

On 3/9/2022 at 7:40 AM, lightninglad said:

That’s another undervalued book. I don’t feel like many people know about it.

Early McFarlane doesn't equal value.  See: Infinity, Inc. after his first issue.  
That said, GI Joe #60 is criminally undervalued.  

I loved going to this one newsstand store in Brunswick, GA growing up in the 80s. They always had a bunch of Marvel Age comics stuffed in their magazine rack that I obsessed over every time I was in there, so I've always had a soft spot for that series. You can imagine my delight as the series became recognized as having several key books in it. Here's one of my faves of course:

Marvel Age 90 SS.jpg

Edited by Legion HQ

On 3/8/2022 at 11:40 PM, jdandns said:

Gotcha, thanks! I remember in my early hobby days collecting Hulk from the 290's (Secret Wars time) through 319 when Byrne left. About a year later, I was at a Thrifty's and picked up a copy of #333 and was floored by the interior art. Of course, I also quickly realized what a great writer Peter David was, and ended up not missing another issue of Hulk until he left the book, over a decade later.