• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Expertise/Experience no longer matter to be a dealer?
8 8

248 posts in this topic

On 4/16/2022 at 11:21 PM, Krydel4 said:

See above regarding what I offered and my reasoning behind it

I read all of your reasoning and most of what you've said has contradicted what you said a post or two earlier. 

You buy books to crack them out

You offered 15% of what gpa was? But then that became 'average of the 3 of the 4 sales. Then it became more than the 3 of the last 4 sales.  However all of your arguments were based on it being a 9.0/9.2 and that's the price you wanted to pay cause of these defects in a soft 9.6.

So again what book in a 9.0/9.2 is only 15% more in a 9.6?  It has to be a dollar book else you are changing more of the story. 

Why not tell us what the book was and what the offer was maybe then more insight can be given like... Of course he wasnt gunna sell at that price 3 of the last 4 sales were before they announced that Bob Storms would be in the next mcu movie as wolverine and you are trying to buy bobs first appearance. 

On 4/16/2022 at 7:24 PM, oakman29 said:

What is the book in question anyway?

Marvels 1. I have a 9.8 that I display because it's the closest I'll get to having an original Alex Ross piece. It's the only book I've ever left in a slab. He priced it at $92 (GPA Sale was in 2021) plus tax. Last 3 Sales were at the time were $53, $60, $35 (2022). I offered $80. I've never actually read the series. I've got issues 2,3,4 and I want to read the whole thing when I've assembled the series. No spoilers please.

20220416_195655.jpg

Edited by Krydel4
Added picture.

On 4/16/2022 at 9:36 PM, Krydel4 said:

No. I would have purchased it with the price equivalent of a 9.2 which is what I believed the book was. I also was not expecting him to take my first offer. I've never had a dealer take my first offer.

But the reality is the books was graded at 9.6. You can try to rationalize it being a 9.2 all you want, but your Jedi mind tricks didn't work on this seller and the seller sent you packing. 

On 4/16/2022 at 8:09 PM, oakman29 said:

Here I'll make things easier for you then. PM me your mailing address and I'll give you one in 9.8ish raw to read. Would that make you happy? All this carp over a common modern? 

Thank you for the offer but I prefer the hunt. My Topic and post example was not meant to be a whinging post but more of a comment and thought starter on the general attitude and setup I've encountered among new dealers at the last few cons I've been to over the last year since things started up again from Covid shutdowns. Obviously, it hasn't happened that way. My apologies if I inadvertently offended anyone. Cheers.

Edited by Krydel4
Clarity

On 4/16/2022 at 8:27 PM, Krydel4 said:

Thank you for the offer but I prefer the hunt. My Topic and post example was not meant to be a whinging post but more of a comment and thought starter on the general attitude I've encountered among new dealers at the last few cons I've been to over the last year since things started up again from Covid shutdowns. Obviously, it hasn't happened that way. My apologies if I inadvertently offended anyone. Cheers.

PM sent. Seriously I would be more than happy to help you out.

On 4/16/2022 at 8:31 PM, Artboy99 said:

you have not offended anyone. Simply put: A large number of comic sellers routinely read these boards.  Your thread questioned the sellers of comics at conventions. Right back at you the sellers that are in this thread are perplexed why a potential buyer bothers to make a post on these boards over a difference of $12.00

As I said it was not a whinge over $12 it was about the attitude and setup. If he had the right attitude and had a conversation with me then I probably would just purchased his book anyway to help him out. I was the only one at his table at the time and most people were walking past him cause his setup was unwelcoming. It wasn't about the money. Cheers.

On 4/16/2022 at 8:42 PM, Krydel4 said:

As I said it was not a whinge over $12 it was about the attitude and setup. If he had the right attitude and had a conversation with me then I probably would just purchased his book anyway to help him out. I was the only one at his table at the time and most people were walking past him cause his setup was unwelcoming. It wasn't about the money. Cheers.

I'm sure the seller was glad you came along to help him out.🤔😉

On 4/16/2022 at 9:42 PM, Krydel4 said:

sounds like a very guarded seller, I will give you that. Putting myself in his place and if I had a potential buyer looking at my CGC 9.6 book I would have down-played your grading calling the book a 9.2 because of the defects by simply saying "well that is why CGC grading exists to establish a grading standard for both of us so my grading isn't in question and neither is yours. How about $85?"

On 4/17/2022 at 12:47 AM, Artboy99 said:

sounds like a very guarded seller, I will give you that. Putting myself in his place and if I had a potential buyer looking at my CGC 9.6 book I would have down-played your grading calling the book a 9.2 because of the defects by simply saying "well that is why CGC grading exists to establish a grading standard for both of us so my grading isn't in question and neither is yours. How about $85?"

You also wouldn't have priced it at $90 in the first place though :baiting: well maybe $90 cdn lol

On 4/16/2022 at 8:51 PM, Iceman399 said:

You also wouldn't have priced it at $90 in the first place though :baiting: well maybe $90 cdn lol

I personally would have cracked it out to lose more money after buying it to read. Oops....😏