• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Expertise/Experience no longer matter to be a dealer?
8 8

248 posts in this topic

On 4/17/2022 at 9:59 PM, Jaylam said:

8.5's are tricky. It can be a nearly perfect book but if there is any kind of stain or moisture mark or a miniscule tear on it, 8.5 is usually the top grade a book will get with defects like that. Do you have the grader notes on this one? 

Anyone with a paid CGC subscription could look up the notes using the certification number visible in the photos.

Edited by Lightning55

On 4/18/2022 at 1:00 AM, oakman29 said:

Canadians always have such a chip on their shoulders huh Roy.😎🤘

Roy’s great. Some of the nicest books I’ve ever received. A real shame he wasn’t around back then in the 80s. How different it would’ve been.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I don't think offering a reasonable counter is inappropriate but doing so based on disagreeing with a third party's grade (whether or not the dealer agrees or disagrees with the grade) seems the wrong place to be.  

And this may have said earlier -- I wonder if the grade was a 9.2 and the potential buyer thinks it might achieve a higher grade, if they would offer more hm

Edited by telerites

On 4/17/2022 at 9:38 PM, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

Not the dealers fault that cgc graded it a 9.6. If I have a 9.6 book in the shop that’s what it’s being priced at. Buyer can decide not to buy it and move on. The smirk on his face is because he’s probably tired of cheap buyers/flippers trying to low ball him

lol Yes, it's undoubtedly the buyer who's wrong about the value when the seller has a slightly notable non-key 90s 9.6 priced at (at least recent) GPA high.

Of course, I agree with all who suggested to just buy a raw NM for a couple of dollars if the buyer doesn't specifically want a 9.6 slab, especially if they think the comic in that slab is overgraded.

On 4/18/2022 at 1:07 PM, davidpg said:

Initiales are G.R.  And I bet he has a million comics.

Very, very close.  Get your oven gloves out, you’re red hot. One initial out, actually.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 4/18/2022 at 2:00 PM, davidpg said:

R.C and G.R. are basically one and the same anyway ;)

That’s true. Birds of a feather.

On 4/18/2022 at 1:52 PM, shadroch said:

R.C.?  

Is he still active?

I believe he left with his pile of cash years ago and was glad to be rid of individuals like me, with that comment paraphrasing a post he made here personally a long time ago.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 4/18/2022 at 1:46 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Roy’s great. Some of the nicest books I’ve ever received. A real shame he wasn’t around back then in the 80s. How different it would’ve been.

I really like Roy secretly👍

I just enjoy busting his chops.