• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Expertise/Experience no longer matter to be a dealer?
8 8

248 posts in this topic

On 4/16/2022 at 3:55 PM, Krydel4 said:

At a show I went to recently, there was a Vendor who had a table, 3 full Slab Short boxes, a printout of the Slabs in the boxes with their grade and GPA prices and a Square payment terminal. I perused the print out taped to the table. Asked to see the book as he had the lids on the boxes. He got it out (putting the lid back on), I looked at it, the grade given on the slab was pretty soft as it was given a 9.6 and their were visible spine ticks, blunted corner and a crease on the back ( I had to ask him to take it out of the slab bag it was in). I made an offer that was within 15% of the GPA price he had listed as I thought the book was at best a 9.0-9.2 given the visible defects I could see. He smirked and said the price is as listed. I pointed out the defects. He said the slab says 9.6, the price is what the GPA for a 9.6 is. No Counter offer. I handed it back and walked away. The dispassionate way he went about this really rubbed me wrong. It just makes me feel that now the hobby has given power away to a third party its irrevocably become less human. It felt like I was making a stock trade. Anyone ever encounter something like this? Should we just have automated bot dealers?

People get books graded to give the power to a third party so I'd have to agree with the first part of the bolded statement.  Comics have become a commodity to a lot of people but wouldn't you expect that from someone who is set up at a Con?  With all the work, time and expense involved with lugging around slabs to a Con you can't expect to get a 15% discount on a slab.  He could stay home and sell slabs for GPA so some can get a tad testy if you happen to be the 10th low ball offer they receive that hour.

Edited by 1Cool

On 4/18/2022 at 6:37 AM, Jaylam said:

Resubmit and see what you get. 

I'm not the kind of guy that even cares what the grade is really. I know what it is.

Hey! IS THAT THE EXPERTISE WE ARE DISCUSSING? 

I think I  just had an epiphany!🤔

On 4/18/2022 at 7:21 AM, 1Cool said:

People get books graded to give the power to a third party so I'd have to agree with the first part of the bolded statement.  Comics have become a commodity to a lot of people but wouldn't you expect that from someone who is set up at a Con?  With all the work, time and expense involved with lugging around slabs to a Con you can't expect to get a 15% discount on a slab.  He could stay home and sell slabs for GPA so some can get a tad testy if you happen to be the 10th low ball offer they receive that hour.

well said!

Most sellers do multiple shows so they don't need to discount their slabs as they are likely to sell it at the next show.

Many potential buyers do not understand this at all. They will try to negotiate for a discount on a slab and even try adding multiple slabs to the pile thinking that by buying bulk they will get a discount.

On 4/18/2022 at 10:50 AM, shadroch said:

I'm not sure, but i think the days of dealers driving hundreds of miles to a show and sleeping in their van are over.  It cost a good bit to operate at these shows, and that includes hotel,gas and meals as well as the price of the table. 

I know that I appreciate it when someone degregates my merchandise.  I especially appreciate it when the person combines it with a request for a discount.

In the future, pull out a few hundred dollar bills and wave them in the sellers face. Then towards the end of the show ,walk by and show him the books you bought and let him  see how he missed out on any of your money.  Let him know you are not someone to be trifled with.

Afterward, take to social media and tell the world how this guy was selling books in 9.6 slabs that weren't up to your personal standards.

Hopefully, the dealer learns his lesson.

Follow that up with a selfie with the dealer that is your new "friend".

Until he runs out of books that you can make money on.

Edited by blazingbob

When I go to shows, I rarely EVER ask for a discount. If it's a big $ book, I'll have it pulled down and let the dealer know that's 'one I've been looking at', so that HE can make me an offer. If he doesn't - I'll figure it's hot or he's got some money in it - and then I have to decide if that's what I want to pay for it or not. 

If it's a dealer with a lot of stock I like - I'll grab multiple books and then hand them to him - most dealers who recognize me or even one's who don't - see that as a repeat business kind of deal and will round off the total. $575 becomes $550 or whatever. It's just a nice touch by them - but I NEVER ask. 

A $92 modern?

Fuggetaboutit.

Going to every table and expecting a discount? That's not me. 

Looking back at my days of being a dealer, I wish I would've hung on to about 70% of what I sold and still had it to put thru an auction house these days.... its not like some of these books are losing value....

On 4/16/2022 at 5:43 PM, wombat said:

I don't get the attitude to always offer less than asking. So if the person has it listed at what you would consider a very good price you will still try and haggle over the price?

It is my first instinct and I absolutely hate that. Instead of blaming my parents though, I'll blame the people holding the yard sales who caved and sold to them at a lower price.

Thank you for your responses. Especially the dealers. It is good to know that when I go to sell my collection many years down the road that based on these responses I will get 100% of my asking price as they would never make an offer that was less then that. Great piece of mind to have. Cheers.

On 4/18/2022 at 10:42 AM, COI said:

You're welcome.

It's good to know that when you're selling your collection, I can make offers based on what I think your books are worth, and you will accept those offers because of your...expertise? 

Oh no. I've learned my lesson. No offers. No negotiation. GPA Sticker price only. Making offers is bad. I would expect the dealers to adhere to that as well. 

On 4/18/2022 at 2:00 PM, Krydel4 said:

Oh no. I've learned my lesson. No offers. No negotiation. GPA Sticker price only. Making offers is bad. I would expect the dealers to adhere to that as well. 

200.gif

On 4/18/2022 at 1:32 PM, Krydel4 said:

Thank you for your responses. Especially the dealers. It is good to know that when I go to sell my collection many years down the road that based on these responses I will get 100% of my asking price as they would never make an offer that was less then that. Great piece of mind to have. Cheers.

You think the dealer was a little cold when he didn't drop the price or give you a counter offer?  Try to explain to a collector why his books are not worth his $50K asking price when it's only worth $15K at best?  Things typically get icy when you offer $10K :) Making offers on books is every buyers prerogative but expecting a perky counter offer from the seller is asking a bit much especially at a busy con.  I wasn't there to hear the sellers reaction but him saying the prices are set in stone (a printed out price list is a good sign he usually won't come down much) isn't really a crime either.    

Edited by 1Cool