• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My adventure with 8000+ comic books begins
4 4

217 posts in this topic

@Qalyar

Mr. T Was #1 and one other issue I believe

Jurassic Park had some of the better variants, priced the up

Pale Horse - Good to know, I think I ran across that today on another - maybe Married with Children?

Next Men - Yup, certainly a lot of coincidences like that with the only valuable one missing - well, live and learn, and press on best I can

Quantum Leap - I have: 1/2/3/4/7/8/9/10/11/11/13 - No special but a few I have marked up $10-$20 which is why I commented higher than I thought for those.

Interview with the Vampire - not a full set (Maybe when I get to the set boxes).  For anything I've been finding with sets (usually the easy things, like sets of 3/5/12) I'll bag them together as a set, maybe take a buck or two off the combined total and just price the singles if any normal.

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Prices all over the place - $3, $6, $30, no eBay sold comps the only VF/NM listed is $29.95 BIN free shipping. I marked mine $20

As for the Black Holes - the online guides didn't have them much - $4-$5.
I couldn't match my #6 to all 3 sites I use.  eBay sold comps have a few sets where the average book is $10-$20 each for the set and singled with shipping near $15, so I marked all mine $15.  Pretty sure mine are the '98 reprints

302782626_BlackHole.thumb.jpg.b259e1ad602fadfa97b70ec6e13498f9.jpg

They're in great shape, I'd call them NM (Still not good with 9.0-9.8). 

Tonight's project is finish the Topps (I'm at the X-files but about 1/2 a box left), a few misc "T" companies, then on to Valiant - that's over a box, and without knowing their history, the comics don't look that spectacular, but maybe I'll be surprised.  And a few inches of XYZ after Valiant.  Then I'm done with indies except the "Kiddie" box and whatever is in the 6 "Sets" box, which is again, heavy on Indie (A lot more of those Alien books).  Then I still have the Star Trek boxes, and the Manga and some misc leftover Marvel - fun fun fun.

Edited by StrikeOutXXX

On 5/10/2022 at 4:54 PM, StrikeOutXXX said:

@Qalyar

Mr. T Was #1 and one other issue I believe

Jurassic Park had some of the better variants, priced the up

Pale Horse - Good to know, I think I ran across that today on another - maybe Married with Children?

Next Men - Yup, certainly a lot of coincidences like that with the only valuable one missing - well, live and learn, and press on best I can

Quantum Leap - I have: 1/2/3/4/7/8/9/10/11/11/13 - No special but a few I have marked up $10-$20 which is why I commented higher than I thought for those.

Interview with the Vampire - not a full set (Maybe when I get to the set boxes).  For anything I've been finding with sets (usually the easy things, like sets of 3/5/12) I'll bag them together as a set, maybe take a buck or two off the combined total and just price the singles if any normal.

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Prices all over the place - $3, $6, $30, no eBay sold comps the only VF/NM listed is $29.95 BIN free shipping. I marked mine $20

As for the Black Holes - the online guides didn't have them much - $4-$5.
I couldn't match my #6 to all 3 sites I use.  eBay sold comps have a few sets where the average book is $10-$20 each for the set and singled with shipping near $15, so I marked all mine $15.  Pretty sure mine are the '98 reprints

302782626_BlackHole.thumb.jpg.b259e1ad602fadfa97b70ec6e13498f9.jpg

They're in great shape, I'd call them NM (Still not good with 9.0-9.8). 

Tonight's project is finish the Topps (I'm at the X-files but about 1/2 a box left), a few misc "T" companies, then on to Valiant - that's over a box, and without knowing their history, the comics don't look that spectacular, but maybe I'll be surprised.  Then I'm done with indies except the "Kiddie" box and whatever is in the 6 "Sets" box, which is again, heavy on Indie (A lot more of those Alien books).

It's tough tell from the pictures at this size (and it's what the "Hey buddy can you spare a grade" forum is for), but in general your Black Holes look pretty good, and I'd think will do well. You should be happiest about your #6 (at bottom right, for those playing at home) because some percentage of the print run (it's not clear how many, but it's not a small number of books) on that issue had really defective spines where the layered cardstock essentially delaminated at the top and bottom. Yours doesn't seem to have that problem. And yeah, especially since you have exactly these five, its pretty safe that your #5 (top left) and #9 (at bottom left) are first printings, not the weirdo second printings. Although for anyone else with these books, those two printings are not cover-distinguishable.

image.png.b747d8fa2c5b5ea809e2f11e10f55734.png

Unfortunately for me, your #5 appears to have a couple of color-breaking spines ticks, so not going to beat out my existing top copy. My quest continues...

On 5/10/2022 at 5:54 PM, StrikeOutXXX said:

I am not sure if anyone explained it explicitly, but Next Men #21 is the first appearance of Hellboy and the creator of Hellboy, mike Mignola, draws the cover. the next appearance of Hellboy is 1994 and he has sporadic publication history but only about 2 dozen issues in the next decade. But it got popular. So whomever took Next Men 21 out of that run did so in the late 90s at the earliest unless they were a very very very saavy collector in 1995 or so. More likely it was removed in this century though.

so, please keep us updated on your sales. Not actual numbers but in general please let us know how things are going and if you are moving books at the flea market stall or coin shows

I sell comics by the inch now. When I sell 1 foot or so of comics I am happy, look at that stack and now 12 inches less to worry about.

Edited by Bird

On 5/10/2022 at 5:39 PM, StrikeOutXXX said:

@Bird

So I've mailed some comics from PMs here (Trying not to make this a BST thread as we frown on that on the coin side) but I've had a lot of PMs.  Close to $500

I've sold almost $300 out of the adult boxes at the coin store. ("Adult comics behind counter - please ask to see") worked wonders - they all ask to see.

Sold about $75 of "normal" comics - but most of that came when I only had about 8 boxes down there.  Most of the folks who came into the shop for the comic post the owner made said they would be back. They opened a party store right next door last Friday and a mother came in looking for cheap things to stuff party bags for a pre-teen and I happened to be there dropping off boxes, I got her a nice selection for cheap.  The store had just ordered a new full window sign and called them in time to add comics to it, that should be in shortly.

And of course, my Mother wanted to help so ordered 30 comics - 2 for each grandchild for Christmas of their favorite super hero lol although I didn't charge her much of course.

I also have about $150 set aside for want lists from the normal coin dealers who left me a list at the last show I'm taking up to them.

My next coin show is this Sunday - I don't have a ton of room, I was thinking on making a small box of low dollar stuff (things marked $1-4) for those Dads buying cheap things for their kids or the boy scouts who meet at our show - maybe early afternoon put a 1/2 off sign on it, and then maybe a half box of more interesting things that may interest some pure comic folks.  Also making a sign to leave their want lists so I can maybe tailor what I bring each month if I have it.

The helper and his antique booths he hasn't got a load yet - he filled up with quite a few from the last show (Those ones I got at an auction prior to this deal) but I'm putting together another box for him.

I also read the dozens of pages on that mycomicshop.com thread - once I'm done sorting, and get the comics where they can be sold, and maybe catch up on some projects I've put off for 2.5 weeks, I kind of like their business model - much like Greatcollections for coins.  I think a lot of my adult comics over $30 would do well there vs locally, and I have only a handful of grading candidates that they will process so I don't have to, and a handful of other regular comics that booked over $50 if my grading and their grading are in the ballpark.  I might go that route with a box of comics and see how they do.

So... they're moving - about 1/3 recouped - certainly not like a true comic store with desirable inventory, but I'll make it work one way or another.  I'm a pretty crafty fellow and who could go wrong with all the great advice this forum has given me.

Quite frankly, with a lot of books left to sort, and only a short amount of time behind you, already recouping 1/3 the outlay on boxes of what are often described as "bulk" is really solid, and suggests you'll get out of this nicely ahead despite the fact that this lot wasn't ... well, exactly as advertised.

Continuing with the Indie boxes - this was a rough one.

*** Topps
X-Files ('95) Almost all + Annuals + small Comics Digest
X-Files Fight the Future Feature Film
X-Files Ground Zero - Set #1-4
X-Files Season One - Decent, had a variant cover
Zorro

*** Triad
The Honeymooners - only #2

*** Triumphant
Scavengers - Never seen individually numbered comics, 4x #1 black/white of 25,000, 1x #1 colored of 50,000 Ashcan

*** Ursus Studios
Buster the Amazing Bear - lol love the "1st Groovy issue"

*** Valiant (Please don't be another Malibu)
Archer and Armstrong - #11-15
Bloodshot - No good ones
Deathmate - Every foil color but Gold
The Second Life of Doctor Mirage
Eternal Warrior
The H.A.R.D. Corps
Harbinger
Magnus Robot Fighter
Ninjak
Rai and the Future Force
Secret Weapons
Shadowman
Solar Man of the Atom
Time Walker
Turok Dinosaur Hunter (8x #1
Valiant Vision Starter Kit
Vantage Press Release Review
X-O Manowar
(Thank god that is over with)

*** Vantage
How to $ell at Shows - 1996 that was different - I'll keep that one and read a comic about selling comics

Sell.thumb.jpeg.55777b7e5a7142937b550b7090d2e555.jpeg

*** Vortex
NASCAR Adventures

*** Walt Disney
White Fang

*** Warp Graphics
Elfquest Hidden Years
Elfquest New Blood
Elfquest Shards

*** Zone Productions
Classic Comic Book Ads of the 60's
Cult Television

So that is it for Alphabetized boxes.  The "Kiddie" box is all Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, and Simpsons variants, I'll hit that one tomorrow then start breaking into those "Sets" boxes.

And @Qalyar - Let's be honest here, those Adult boxes are going to be the saving grace to this whole deal at least finance-wise.

That box... did not end strong. :(

On 5/10/2022 at 8:17 PM, StrikeOutXXX said:

*** Triumphant

Scavengers - Never seen individually numbered comics, 4x #1 black/white of 25,000, 1x #1 colored of 50,000 Ashcan

Triumphant did this with all their comics. Sadly, that gimmick didn't make anyone care about it.

On 5/10/2022 at 9:54 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

There are some halfway decent Animaniacs I think - not crazy, but $10-20 issues...

Some of the DC Universe Logo books as well as the 1st Freakazoid and Last issue can be worth decent money.

On 5/10/2022 at 10:50 PM, Beastfeast said:

The Batman Pinky & the Brain homage is $10-$20 book in decent shape.  

So is the Pulp Fiction homage - I have that one for sale right now on eBay for $19.95, and it has 7 watchers. I actually really like the cover and kept toying with keeping it, but it really doesn't fit my collection, so I have to make myself let it go!

On 5/10/2022 at 11:03 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

So is the Pulp Fiction homage - I have that one for sale right now on eBay for $19.95, and it has 7 watchers. I actually really like the cover and kept toying with keeping it, but it really doesn't fit my collection, so I have to make myself let it go!

20220510_231301.thumb.jpg.6c3b6192624ad045577b1bbc8d07f3af.jpg

*** Dark Horse
Aliens Alchemy - Set #1-3
Aliens Apocalypse the Destroying Angels - Set #1-4
Aliens Berserker - Set #1-4
Aliens Colonial Marines - Set #1-10
Aliens Earth Angel
Aliens Earth War - Set #1-4
Aliens Genocide - Set #1-4
Aliens Glass Corridor
Aliens Havoc - Set #1-2
Aliens Hive - Set #1-4
Aliens Kidnapped - Set #1-3
Aliens Labyrinth - Set #1-4
Aliens Lovesick
Aliens Mondo Heat
Aliens Mondo Pest
Aliens Music of the Spears - Set #1-4
Aliens Newt's Tale - Set #1-2
Aliens Purge
Alien Resurrection - Set #1-2
Aliens Rogue - Set #1-4
Aliens Sacrifice
Aliens Salvation
Aliens Special
Aliens Stalker
Aliens Stronghold - Set #1-4
Aliens Survival - Set #1-3
Alien 3 - Set #1-3
Aliens Xenogenesis - Set #1-4
Aliens Wraith

Plus some of those horror books will do well for you too. (thumbsu

On 5/10/2022 at 8:41 PM, manetteska said:

Lost in Space Annual 1 used to sell for ok money. 

And still does in grade. Not easy to find.

On 5/11/2022 at 4:32 AM, Beige said:

*** Dark Horse
Aliens Alchemy - Set #1-3
Aliens Apocalypse the Destroying Angels - Set #1-4
Aliens Berserker - Set #1-4
Aliens Colonial Marines - Set #1-10
Aliens Earth Angel
Aliens Earth War - Set #1-4
Aliens Genocide - Set #1-4
Aliens Glass Corridor
Aliens Havoc - Set #1-2
Aliens Hive - Set #1-4
Aliens Kidnapped - Set #1-3
Aliens Labyrinth - Set #1-4
Aliens Lovesick
Aliens Mondo Heat
Aliens Mondo Pest
Aliens Music of the Spears - Set #1-4
Aliens Newt's Tale - Set #1-2
Aliens Purge
Alien Resurrection - Set #1-2
Aliens Rogue - Set #1-4
Aliens Sacrifice
Aliens Salvation
Aliens Special
Aliens Stalker
Aliens Stronghold - Set #1-4
Aliens Survival - Set #1-3
Alien 3 - Set #1-3
Aliens Xenogenesis - Set #1-4
Aliens Wraith

Plus some of those horror books will do well for you too. (thumbsu

Yes, the Aliens stuff will sell. In particular, Salvation has seen an uptick in value, should sell $20-$40 depending on condition. There are plenty of them out there, so supply has mostly met the demand since the price ballooned a month or two ago, but still well worth picking out.

If you were local, I'd buy all of the Aliens stuff straight up. I'm an Alien hoarder.