• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC announces changes to label notations, see what remains?
20 20

634 posts in this topic

On 5/25/2022 at 2:12 PM, ashsaytr said:

isn't the person who had the books graded, the only one who can access the grading notes?  is the seller now going to need to provide them?

No, anyone can look up any number.

Just checked with a random slab on ebay.

-bc

On 5/25/2022 at 1:12 PM, ashsaytr said:

isn't the person who had the books graded, the only one who can access the grading notes?  is the seller now going to need to provide them?

anyone with a paid cgc membership account can get free graders notes on any cgc slab (thumbsu

Been announced towards the beginning of the price changes :foryou::cheers: 

On 5/25/2022 at 1:14 PM, bc said:

No, anyone can look up any number.

Just checked with a random slab on ebay.

-bc

is the limit for cgc cert lookup FOR graders notes only to unpaid membership?

On 5/25/2022 at 1:15 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

anyone with a paid cgc membership account can get free graders notes on any cgc slab (thumbsu

Been announced towards the beginning of When they quit adding notes. :foryou::cheers: 

FTFY. 

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
Rebooted

Sometimes people complain about having bought a CGC slab that contains a book other than the one described on the label--like it's a reprint, when the label says it's a first print or something.

I have suggested that culpability lies with CGC for damages incurred by a consumer trusting what CGC has certified the book to be, and that suggestion has always been met with a chorus of "buy the book, not the label."  As if it's the lay person's responsibility to figure out the "actual" contents of a slab and not rely on the CGC certification.

How 'bout now?

On 5/25/2022 at 2:16 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

is the limit for cgc cert lookup FOR graders notes only to unpaid membership?

Don't think so. 

Think the limit is to stop automated screen scraping software - that's the only "security" reason I can imagine.

-bc

On 5/25/2022 at 1:18 PM, Axe Elf said:

Sometimes people complain about having bought a CGC slab that contains a book other than the one described on the label--like it's a reprint, when the label says it's a first print or something.

I have suggested that culpability lies with CGC for damages incurred by a consumer trusting what CGC has certified the book to be, and that suggestion has always been met with a chorus of "buy the book, not the label."  As if it's the lay person's responsibility to figure out the "actual" contents of a slab and not rely on the CGC certification.

How 'bout now?

On 5/25/2022 at 1:19 PM, JC25427N said:

This is fine, buy the book not the label anyway right :baiting:

Jinx.

On 5/25/2022 at 11:46 AM, MattTheDuck said:

We have been told repeatedly that "graders notes" are not universally available for every book.  For this to work, CGC is going to have to guarantee that every book graded from here on out will have Grader's Notes if for no other reason to state that any flaws formerly listed on the label are not present on the book.  Setting aside for the moment the "cash grab" part of this decision, the expectation of comprehensive Grader's Notes for every CGC graded book by "prominent members of the collecting community" should go way up.  If graders are now forced to make sure none of these flaws exist, and to ensure collectors know whether or not they exist, it's going to be very time consuming.

???

While this decision is incredibly stupid and a slap in the face to anyone who buys CGC-graded books, the books with no graders notes didn't, don't and won't have these defects that will no longer be noted on the label.

First they came for the defects listed on the label that were obvious. But mine were not obvious. Then they came for the internal defects listed on the label. But mine weren’t a big deal. Then they stopped listing a cutout mvs. But it was too late. 

On 5/25/2022 at 12:14 PM, KCOComics said:

It's gotta be the auction houses,  right? 

What prominent members of our community wants to make defects not readily accessible? 

The people selling the books. 

Auction houses may be prominent in the hobby, but they are absolutely not part of the collecting community.

On 5/25/2022 at 1:41 PM, Lazyboy said:

Auction houses may be prominent in the hobby, but they are absolutely not part of the collecting community.

Well that's just like your opinion.. man. 

Obviously CGC has a far superior opinion of what the collecting community wants.

On 5/25/2022 at 1:54 PM, GACollectibles said:

Not just the Qualified label, there would only be a need for one label for all slabs with just the serial number on it- No grade, title, issue #, pq, resto info, signatures, etc as it can all be accessed with a paid membership. :idea:

CGC Idea Committee meeting notes are confidential and proprietary information. Please cease and desist @GACollectibles

On 5/25/2022 at 11:44 AM, Qua-Brot said:

I will throw my two cents in the ring in the hope that CGC reverses this poorly considered move.

THE WHOLE POINT OF SLABBING IS SO THAT PEOPLE KNOW WHAT THEY ARE BUYING!!!!

You have now hidden all these defects from buyers. Why would I want to slab a book for sale now? Buyer would want the grader notes.

If I am buying a slabbed book I will have to track down the grader notes. I don't mind most things but will not buy a book with tape. Now how do I know if it has tape of not??? Extra time to find the notes, if I can.

This destroys a ton of credibility for CGC slabbed books. It looks like things are being hidden. It is not good. 

This looks like what an unscrupulous seller would do - not disclose things.

Very bad idea.

Completely agree.

If CGC doesn't want to mention the defects on the front cover than they should definitely do it on the back cover. 

On 5/25/2022 at 11:41 AM, zoom625 said:

This is ridiculous - i wont spend time at shows inputting each number, which will equal less sales for dealers. 

For me it's the same issue with Voldy's ASP/VSP labels all being yellow now. I don't have a bionic eye, so if I'd see a wall of yellow labeled Voldy books at a convention and can't read the print, I'd either have to ask each time if it's witnessed or "verified", or point out each one I'm curious about all at once. If the folks behind the booths are busy, I'd move on. 

It's an unnecessary fix to something that wasn't broken.