• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
24 24

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2022 at 12:19 AM, captainzombie said:

Skeff hasn't posted anything from C2E2 and then even Gem took down his video defending all this.

I can't see how this is going to blow over at all, especially with how loud the YouTube community is about this.

The problem so to speak may/and is how these YouTubers, these dozen or so "influencers" who are cherished like rock stars at these conventions.

If you see ComicTom walking down the aisle of your convention, do you get all excited and want a selfie photo?

People do.

Skeff started out as this excited loveable dude who comes across as a "man of the hobby" who we get to share in his excitement when he gets a 9.8 and slowly he gets a fan base and "YouTube fame" which brings forth opportunities and he has his own comic variant and he is good friends with creators now and he is recognized at every show and fans want to take photos with him and then becomes the face of WhatNot (sort of) and then...he allegedly budges in line to purchase  allegedly hundreds of copies of a book insuring others in line cannot buy them so he can make a quick profit?

Boston show is up next.

On 8/10/2022 at 12:28 AM, Broke as a Joke said:

Imagine putting down 10,000 bucks for a stack of these ugly books without knowing the fix was in...

I can't.   

The fix will be in only if CGC did the right thing, but they aren't. 

These things are selling for more than two and half times what these guys bought them for. I wish I had the opportunity to buy some, but the person sitting in the 41st place in line was told that they had sold out, only to find another box and now the price was $100 each I was told and NOW they put a limit on how many you could buy. 

This was #2 last week on CBSI.

Screenshot_20220810-015054_Chrome.jpg

Skeff left a comment on gem mints video (which is now gone) saying that he only got 10 copies for himself which he sold that same night. To get this privilege he did favours for Black Flag (his words not mine).

He didn’t elaborate on what those favours were, but my reasonable but unconfirmed guess is that he took a short box full and sprinkled it across other friends and dealers at the show. I can’t think of any other favours that could have been provided to earn Black Flags appreciation.

On 8/9/2022 at 10:41 PM, Mike's Rack said:

Good point, but considering they are some of the largest sellers, I doubt that will be enforced.

That’s what FB/Instagram is discussing as well

On 8/10/2022 at 12:49 AM, wombat said:

Is anyone even questioning at this point that CGC is selling grades? I hope they made a boat load of money on this to make the debacle worth it. 

I think most of us moved beyond the questioning and into the "how much do they cost?" back with the invisible books. 

On 8/9/2022 at 1:39 PM, stynxno said:

I like Danielle and I've always had an awesome professional encounter with her. In our sales, her grading is always on point and her packing/response rate is fantastic. When I came back to comics a couple of years ago, I stumbled into the little community she was building on instragram and whatnot. I appreciate what she's trying to do - expanding the diversity of the comicbook community while having to deal with the BS associated with simply being a woman in comics. The amount of energy she has to spend dealing with misogyny is ridiculous though, before this C2E2 stuff, her what not sales seemed like one for the few places where folks could just be themselves. The comic community is, in my experience, small but isn't tight-knit. Instead, it's full of different smaller communities and those who are fine just collecting/reading/etc. Danielle has been intentionally doing what folks do online now - moving beyond social media and into simply nurturing a community. I doubt there's anything she could say/type/share that would get everyone degrading her to stop. She's a woman in the comic community and, imo, some believe that gives them permission to attack/insult/etc.  The mere performance/presence of femininity isn't permission for folks to behave the way they have. It is totally possible for folks to critique the whole situation (aka why this not-a-variant exists in the first place, how variants at cons are sold, wtf cgc was doing giving this book a blue label) while, at the same time, reflecting on how we would be reacting if was a white-man with Danielle's length as a comic dealer tied up in this situation.  

I'm taking too long to write this - so hopefully CGC hasn't posted their update before I wrote this. To me, this wouldn't be the big deal it's become for the last few days online (youtube, whatnot, instagram, this website and others) if it wasn't for the fact that CGC gave these a universal label and that at least one very online woman was involved. 

FYI, if you want to Stan her some more, for the past couple days she's been reposting her Action run and 'Tec 27 again.  For the umpteenth time. 

Can't imagine why she's flexing so large right now.........