• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,556 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2022 at 1:48 PM, Shazbot said:

This is absolute garbage. As an enthusiast newly retuning to the hobby, I will never, ever submit a book to CGC. I will never again purchase any book with your name attached to it. If I stay at this forum, it's only for the brain trust of forumites.

Same here.

On 8/12/2022 at 1:27 PM, Gonzimodo said:

Stupid question (not my first, won't be my last), so apologies if this has already been answered - In reality, who should actually be considered the publisher here?  Marvel or Infinite Black Publishing?  Marvel published the underlying book, but the "acetate edition" was apparently not approved by them, and it clearly states "Infinite Black Publishing" on the back.  It's clearly not an official Marvel variant edition, so to me it seems as though CGC should not be listing it as such.

If it's really a publication of Infinite Black Publishing, then I'm surprised that Marvel hasn't dropped the hammer on them yet.  (Maybe they have, and it's just not public knowledge yet.)

I'm mostly concerned about CGC's role in this, but obviously the Marvel/Black Flag/Infinite Black questions dictate what CGC should do with this book.  I guess I'm just too dumb to wrap my head around this whole thing. :insane:

Signing an existing product does not change what that product is.

Drawing on an existing product does not change what that product is.

Stapling something to an existing product does not change what that product is.

On 8/12/2022 at 11:58 AM, Prince Namor said:

Shouldn't anyone, including other companies be allowed to do these as well?

Shouldn't Zenescope right now be thinking... WE could come up with some interesting ideas for an acetate overlay...

I want to see Zenescope do some Archie acetate overlays...

And then watch the influencers stumble over themselves to be offended or cash in...

"Naked women? That's offensive! We have standards when we create these manufactured collectibles to rip people off!"

Again... view at your own risk...

Spoiler

image.jpeg.cad84e8ce67da201ef40b70c85d3333d.jpeg

3.jpg

On 8/12/2022 at 1:56 PM, Terry JSA said:

Based on this logic, Golden and Silver Age books that are manufactured with a single staple should be graded to the fullest

They are.

and NOT be punished

They aren't.

for the manufacturing error. Instead, it should get a notation on the label.

It's not an error.

What does this have to do with the topic? ???

On 8/12/2022 at 12:02 PM, CGC Mike said:

We feel it is important to provide transparency on how CGC arrived at our method of certifying Clayton Crain’s Ultimate Fallout comics with the attached acetate covers. For us, this was an unprecedented item to grade. After Mr. Crain spoke with us prior to C2E2, the rules we applied to his books:

• The additional cover had to be created by an established artist in the industry.
  • The comic to which the cover was attached had to contain a cover by that same artist.
  • A copy of the comic with the attached cover had to be submitted to us for inspection prior to certifying any copies.

Given the recent circumstances, we have made adjustments to the labeling originally used for the Ultimate Fallout exhibiting the acetate cover. Going forward, any copies submitted to CGC will display in the label text: "In God We Intrust" Acetate Artist Cover attached with 2 staples after manufacturing. The books will still be allowed to receive a Universal label.

This will also apply to Mr. Crain’s forthcoming copies of Ghost Rider #1 and Deadpool Nerdy 30 #1 that contain an acetate cover.  

image.png

I guess this is technically no different than the burnt and cut up books over on the signature series thread getting SS 9.8 Yellow Labels instead of Qualified, after the books have been burnt and cut up (pieces literally removed).

I personally disagree with that decision and this one but also know my opinion doesn’t matter to CGC.

Seems CGC is letting ‘artists’ and their dumb ideas drive their policy decisions.  In this case I’m so glad I couldn’t care less about Clayton Crain art… now I know I never will.

CGC has spoken… only choice I see is to personally keep collecting what I love and to stay away from all this garbage  

On 8/12/2022 at 12:06 PM, toro said:

This is better??? Now it basically says on the cover "Attached with 2 staples after manufacturing" which should say hey I am a green label, but if you are an "established artist" you will get a Blue label. 

Does anyone have Rob Liefeld's phone number?  There are around 5,000,000+ 9.8 X-Force #1s out there.  So that means there must be at least 1,000,000 potential10.0s.  I am sure he can whip up some quick acetate cover for it.

I really, really hope Marvel squashes this.

Talk about printing your own money. 

I guess as long as CGC gets their cut, it's all good.