• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 3/22/2024 at 5:25 AM, comicwiz said:

I can't imagine the sting of being screwed by a company and to be compensated with credit to continue using their service.

From the land of obscurity: Iomega did this to customers who lost gigabytes of data from their Zip Disks due to 'Click Death' - where the disk failed and all data was lost (at the time, in the late 90's - many people archived data on zip disks due to them holding large amounts of data and less expensive than optical disks). There was a class action lawsuit against Iomega where the customer's reward was a simple credit coupon to buy replacement disks. Nothing for the - literal - hundreds or thousands of billable hours lost from the data on the disks. I can't recall how many hours my employer paid me for rebuilding files that were lost - but it was several hundred at least and took months.

I would not be surprised in the least for people to be given credit to CGC - while the Class Action lawyers do donuts in the parking lot in their new Mercedes after getting paid handsomely for bringing the suit to court.

On 3/19/2024 at 2:19 PM, Mdesimone said:

There really is no other option but to send back to cgc, it’s not cost effective to sue the scammers yourself. How are you going to prove anything to the courts. Cgc can do that for you. I don’t get is why they can’t reimburse us for the books they take into evidence now, why do we have to wait?

There is always other options. If you are someone affected by this you throw lawsuits at everyone CGC, the scammers, Whoever sold you the book, CCG, etc. and let the courts decide who has to pay you. If a decent portion of the people affected by this started filing suit against CGC it would get worked out real fast. Even if it is just small claims court filings.  

On 3/21/2024 at 10:14 AM, Mdesimone said:

Again you need proof to file criminal charges against some for fraud. If I do that on my own those scammers would sue me for defamation if I lose, why waste my time when cgc will do it for me.  

It's causing me physical pain to read some of the nonsense being directed to you as advice here.

My only advice, like Comicwiz said,  if you haven't already, is make the FTC complaint.

The complaint website looks very easy to navigate through.

On 3/22/2024 at 12:10 PM, Dr. Balls said:

From the land of obscurity: Iomega did this to customers who lost gigabytes of data from their Zip Disks due to 'Click Death' - where the disk failed and all data was lost (at the time, in the late 90's - many people archived data on zip disks due to them holding large amounts of data and less expensive than optical disks). There was a class action lawsuit against Iomega where the customer's reward was a simple credit coupon to buy replacement disks. Nothing for the - literal - hundreds or thousands of billable hours lost from the data on the disks. I can't recall how many hours my employer paid me for rebuilding files that were lost - but it was several hundred at least and took months.

I would not be surprised in the least for people to be given credit to CGC - while the Class Action lawyers do donuts in the parking lot in their new Mercedes after getting paid handsomely for bringing the suit to court.

This reminds me of some of my old days of doing everything from PC/laptop repairs, assembly, data recovery, and everything in-between. Toshiba dominated in those days for their laptops, and I remember a certain manufacturer with a hard disk drive that developed the nickname "Deathstar" because of the insanely high failure rates. I remember working the service desk on odd occassions, and whenever a call would come in about someone's hard drive crashing, I already knew what it was. Data recovery was an extremely lucrative gig in those days, and I already knew within the few months early in 2000 something was up with this disk drive to have such a high failure rate. I began giving instruction to people on how to at least recover their repair costs because it just seemed like the right thing to do. Later as a parent to two young boys, watching Mr Incredible do the same in his 9-5 hourly grind reminded me of what happened back then, and the boss in that movie looked exactly like mine. I don't think most people know how expensive it is to recover data from a hard drive, or what some of the centers like I worked for would charge, but you'd think someone would have gone after the manufacturer in a more coordinated manner, rather than the piecemeal (and costly) approach to address the problem. Even with the help I was offering those few times I manned the service desk, I think that manufacturers "Deathstar" drive brought us about 85% of our data recovery business over span of several years. Whenever one of their laptops came in even for a simple update, I would check and if it had a Deathstar, I'd pre-warn or replace the drive (sometimes at no cost) if we had another makers drive sitting around. They were that bad.

Edited by comicwiz

On 3/22/2024 at 8:33 AM, DougC said:

That is a lot of reading a self inserted argument into what I posted, I don't even know how to reply.   ???

Maybe I took the way you wrote it as some manner of dissuading that pathway of seeking redress.

Edited by comicwiz

"When a book is sent in for a reholder service the book is removed from its outer shell and its inner well. Both must be replaced as the crack-out process can cause damage and scuffing to the inner well."

That was the quote from CGC's CS rep. If this is actually the case, how much of the blame is on the alleged scammers and how much is on the company who does not follow their own protocols? I'm not trying to blame CGC completely, but if they aren't following their own rules, it's really tough to feel any sympathy for them.

On 3/24/2024 at 9:16 AM, jas1vans said:

"When a book is sent in for a reholder service the book is removed from its outer shell and its inner well. Both must be replaced as the crack-out process can cause damage and scuffing to the inner well."

That was the quote from CGC's CS rep. If this is actually the case, how much of the blame is on the alleged scammers and how much is on the company who does not follow their own protocols? I'm not trying to blame CGC completely, but if they aren't following their own rules, it's really tough to feel any sympathy for them.

This is where CGC would be responsible 100%. HOWEVER, this is where the theory of having an insider assisting the scammer comes into play. With two court cases going on simultaneously (one against scammers, one against former employees) it's hard to not at least contemplate the two incidents being related.

On 3/24/2024 at 9:22 AM, grendel013 said:

This is where CGC would be responsible 100%. HOWEVER, this is where the theory of having an insider assisting the scammer comes into play. With two court cases going on simultaneously (one against scammers, one against former employees) it's hard to not at least contemplate the two incidents being related.

I was under the impression they were unrelated. I thought that the two alleged scammers were submitting books shown to be swapped as far back as 2016 where the former employees were only employed at CGC for a short period of time more recently.

On 3/24/2024 at 4:12 PM, jas1vans said:

I was under the impression they were unrelated. I thought that the two alleged scammers were submitting books shown to be swapped as far back as 2016 where the former employees were only employed at CGC for a short period of time more recently.

From what we know it does appear that they are two separate incidents. But if CGC has hired unscrupulous employees before then who's to say that there aren't other bad actors among their ranks. No proof but at some point CGC needs to blame another insider or admit that they didn't follow their own protocols. It's either one or the other for all those swapped books that were submitted for a reholder. The truth will come out eventually.

• Administrator

I have removed a few posts (again).  Lets keep this civil.  Otherwise, I will issue warnings that will result in posting restrictions.

On 3/20/2024 at 12:11 PM, agamoto said:

The feds don’t need to just take over the fraud investigation, (if it hasn’t become totally muddied), they need to also examine CGC’s role  in influencing how victims responded to the fraud.

This is an interesting angle that may have merit. I appreciate the apparent goal of CGC's apparent efforts, but if those efforts have 1) aggravated the harm at the same time as 2) blocking an alternate remedy that 3) prevents law enforcement scrutiny of the fraud, then that could be a legitimate complaint against CGC to increase damages.