• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay

3,099 posts in this topic

Try finding those Juggernaut issues and the one that had The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man story for cheap... Those three issues are largely regarded as classics and are considered three of the best stories of the Copper Age, so that may be why they're so expensive.

You know, I've seen plenty of copies of GI Joe 21 for sale, but they're always expensive. Now, since there are so many copies of this book out there, why is it so expensive? Because it's regarded as a classic to GI Joe fans.

Spider-Man has as many fans, if not more, so I hope you can understand why these issues are expensive.

Plus, try finding these in any grade. Most stores don't have them in stock. They'll have issues all around those, but, they're just not readily available. Then, when copies do come in, dealers hike the price and usually get what they ask for them.

Not so much a modern comic, but try finding Flash 275 and 323 and 324. In all the shops I visit, I rarely ever see these — and when I do, they're usually beat copies that still command a hefty price tag.

It took me years and years (this is way before the internet became the world's largest comic shop) to find my first copy of Flash 275 (the death of Iris Allen), and, when I finally did find it, it cost me a nice chunk of change. Same with Flash 323 and 324 (I still have NEVER found a copy of 324 in any shop in better condition than VG).

Flash 323 has a cover that will one day be considered a classic Flash cover (Flash vs. Reverse Flash), while 324 has the actual death of Reverse Flash. That issue is considered a turning point for the Barry Allen Flash (it kicked off the Trial of the Flash storyline and led to his ultimate demise) and I'd almost bet that the Barry Allen Flash has way more fans than the Wally West and Bart Allen Flashes put together.

I think these issues will continue to rise in value, due to their popularity, their hard-to-find status and the stories contained within. If you find them cheap, you should pick them up.

Mike B.

Trial of Barry Allen is another toughie to find in high grade, I believe 6 part storyline, but it has been awhile...

Try finding those Juggernaut issues and the one that had The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man story for cheap... Those three issues are largely regarded as classics and are considered three of the best stories of the Copper Age, so that may be why they're so expensive.

You know, I've seen plenty of copies of GI Joe 21 for sale, but they're always expensive. Now, since there are so many copies of this book out there, why is it so expensive? Because it's regarded as a classic to GI Joe fans.

Spider-Man has as many fans, if not more, so I hope you can understand why these issues are expensive.

Plus, try finding these in any grade. Most stores don't have them in stock. They'll have issues all around those, but, they're just not readily available. Then, when copies do come in, dealers hike the price and usually get what they ask for them.

Not so much a modern comic, but try finding Flash 275 and 323 and 324. In all the shops I visit, I rarely ever see these — and when I do, they're usually beat copies that still command a hefty price tag.

It took me years and years (this is way before the internet became the world's largest comic shop) to find my first copy of Flash 275 (the death of Iris Allen), and, when I finally did find it, it cost me a nice chunk of change. Same with Flash 323 and 324 (I still have NEVER found a copy of 324 in any shop in better condition than VG).

Flash 323 has a cover that will one day be considered a classic Flash cover (Flash vs. Reverse Flash), while 324 has the actual death of Reverse Flash. That issue is considered a turning point for the Barry Allen Flash (it kicked off the Trial of the Flash storyline and led to his ultimate demise) and I'd almost bet that the Barry Allen Flash has way more fans than the Wally West and Bart Allen Flashes put together.

I think these issues will continue to rise in value, due to their popularity, their hard-to-find status and the stories contained within. If you find them cheap, you should pick them up.

Mike B.

Trial of Barry Allen is another toughie to find in high grade, I believe 6 part storyline, but it has been awhile...

Actually, the Trial of the Flash storyline started with Flash 320 or 321 and ran all the way to Flash 350.

I have had a hard time finding those last few issues, which have the actual trial, in high grade.

Last year, I approached Bob Greenberger with the idea of collecting the Trial of the Flash into a series of trade paperbacks, but he said he isn't sure if there'd be enough interest for a trade paperback series.

Here's what Bob Greenberger, who was working in the DC collected editions department at that time, said:

"The Trial of the Flash is too long a story to properly collect in one volume and we have our concerns that enough interest exists for a multiple volume collection of the storyline."

I think it would fit perfectly into the Showcase Presents format, now that DC has started that series of reprints.

Mike B.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Flash was my favorite book as a kid, really the book that hooked me into comics. I read it from 285 up into the 300s, then stopped because Infantino's art was killing me and the stories were going downhill, then started again in the 3teens. I've returned to the series every once in a while to fill out my run, and have dreams of someday having 105-350 (plus the Showcases). Anyway, I've always found the last 25 issues fairly tough to find, and the last 10 issues are pretty tough. I guess it was a relatively low-printed book at the time, and they just don't circulate very often. #350 is something I've actually been looking for for a while, and I've not found one in person in a couple years. Ebay takes all the fun out of the chase, though, but I would have to agree that real top grade copies of 275 would be worth having.

BTW, 275 is in the middle of the epic "Clive Barkin saga" from 271-280 I think. Really pretty good if you've never read it.

I picked up a Marvel Collectible Classics: Spider-Man #2 a couple of years ago for $10. I sent it into CGC, it got a 9.8 and I sold it for $60 - $70. At the time they were selling for around $100 so I was a little dis-appointed.

Imagine how I felt seeing a CGC 9.8 copy recently selling for $299 ! 893whatthe.gif

There are quite a few copper era's that do well in 9.8. Now you will have to get that grade but you figure a $1.00 investment in the book, $12 or so to slab it and if it hits 9.8 then you can make 40 or 50 bucks. if it gets 9.6 then you can sell it for cost basically. Better than dumping em for a buck at the LCS in trade.

Mike B.

Actually, the Trial of the Flash storyline started with Flash 320 or 321 and ran all the way to Flash 350.

I have had a hard time finding those last few issues, which have the actual trial, in high grade.

Last year, I approached Bob Greenberger with the idea of collecting the Trial of the Flash into a series of trade paperbacks, but he said he isn't sure if there'd be enough interest for a trade paperback series.

Here's what Bob Greenberger, who was working in the DC collected editions department at that time, said:

"The Trial of the Flash is too long a story to properly collect in one volume and we have our concerns that enough interest exists for a multiple volume collection of the storyline."

I think it would fit perfectly into the Showcase Presents format, now that DC has started that series of reprints.

Mike B.

They are tough to find...I might be able to find some 9.6-9.8's locally if anyone is interested. Mine are all 9.8's...love all the Flash books from the 80's

Going to LCS's in my area I have found that Amazing Fantasy #15 (vol 2) is nowhere to be found. Same for Marvel Team Up #141 and Superman #60 (vol 2) - the wizard hot pick book.

Anita Blake is sold out and still selling well on ebay. Black Panther 21 has cooled off after a quick heat up (because of the 2nd printing maybe) but She Hulk # 8 still sells. Just sold one for $ 16.99 but I don't see this books value lasting.

Today at the convention in NYC I saw one dealer selling Incredible Hulk 456 and 457 for $25 each (Apocalypse/ Marvel low print time). Looked on ebay- no copies outside of ebay stores.

And nice Kubert art! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'm going to post my copies of #456 and #457 in the Marketplace. What do you think they should sell for?

kind of weird that #1 are selling around $10 and then with a #2 somewhere in the 25-35 range. This was pretty well hyped so I wonder, so would they have shorted #2 so much?

#2 for $25-35, there was a pile of them next to the #1 reprints at my LCS for cover yesterday evening!

I meant auctions for 1 and 2 together for $25-$35