• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,411 posts in this topic

On 9/14/2022 at 1:45 PM, Yorick said:

I think issues 2-4 are a little.... less desirable.  Issue 5 through 17, however...  :cloud9:

Well, Lou's covers can be HIT and miss.  When he connects it's usually a home run, often knocking it outta the park.  His strengths are faces and dynamic motion, his biggest weakness being anatomical rendering which can be unnaturally distorted or elongated and skinny. Also, his covers occasionally lose the center of interest.  In spite of this, I'm hard pressed to criticize Fine's technique as he was a unique stylist.   

If judging the first four covers, I'd give very high marks to the first three; all are visually inspired with the third being right up there with Fox's Fantastic #3 (my opinion).  Arguably, #4's cover is too busy with the secondary characters not especially well rendered.  The fifth issue is another outta the park classic.  Alas, I don't own 4, 5 or 6-8, but skipping to #9 ...and ignoring anatomical awkwardness... Lou created impressive dynamics, facial features and an awesome sea scene!

e8d3e04f-6bac-4380-b797-a8b3ecfa65f5_zpsalkiysc9.jpg.f8a63934cf8aa8a26149bf3fac65e9fb.jpg

:cheers: