• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
48 48

10,304 posts in this topic

On 3/9/2023 at 4:38 PM, the blob said:

Starting to tidy it up, I let it get messy. The hallway leading to my comic room. 

54995694-E2E6-44FE-98D2-6687BCAE5690.jpeg

That's some serious faith in your mezzanine with all those boxes on it. :tonofbricks:

On 3/11/2023 at 12:47 PM, Dr. Balls said:

That's some serious faith in your mezzanine with all those boxes on it. :tonofbricks:

Good catch.  That floor is probably  overloaded.  Be careful!

If you want a fright google something like 'residential floor max design load'.  I'll bet plenty of collectors are pushing it.

On 3/11/2023 at 2:47 PM, Dr. Balls said:

You may be right, but I live in a nearly 120 year old house and the beams are ridiculous old wood, so I feel like my floors are a lot stronger than current code. I had to cut through a non supporting 2X4 with my sawzall and this wood was so hard it took forever and wrecked the blade. On the other hand, that is my third floor, so it is possible they got cheap up on that floor with the beams. Anyway, that is actually how it has been for the better part of 10+ years except I probably have one more layer of boxes on top right now. Anyway, this is not a long term set up. Each of those magazine boxes weighs 30-35 pounds I guess. So each column is 240-290 pounds? 

On 3/11/2023 at 7:30 PM, Turnando said:

Good catch.  That floor is probably  overloaded.  Be careful!

If you want a fright google something like 'residential floor max design load'.  I'll bet plenty of collectors are pushing it.

Those numbers say I shouldn't stack the boxes three high at a max load of 40 pounds per square foot. That is silly. 

With that said, I probably should avoid going over 5 high. I thought this might help, but one guy was pretty sure the older homes have a much higher capacity. How much is another issue...

https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-determine-your-older-homes-1920-2nd-floor-live-load-capacity

Edited by the blob

On 3/13/2023 at 10:32 PM, MattTheDuck said:

This made me chuckle.

8 high is not a long term set up. I think I was more like 6 high come to think of it. My goal is to get it down to 5.

On 3/13/2023 at 8:23 PM, the blob said:

Those numbers say I shouldn't stack the boxes three high at a max load of 40 pounds per square foot. That is silly. 

I suspect that a single stack of long boxes would be more of a point load than a distributed load.

I think the 40 lbs per square foot design requirement is for a distributed (average) load.

Stack long boxes 3 high across a significant portion of your floor.  That is probably  when you are safe but at the limit. 

The safety factor is probably 3 or 4 so you can go much higher before you snap your floor but why?

(Long box is about 1.6 square ft)

On 3/14/2023 at 12:26 PM, Turnando said:

I suspect that a single stack of long boxes would be more of a point load than a distributed load.

I think the 40 lbs per square foot design requirement is for a distributed (average) load.

Stack long boxes 3 high across a significant portion of your floor.  That is probably  when you are safe but at the limit. 

The safety factor is probably 3 or 4 so you can go much higher before you snap your floor but why?

(Long box is about 1.6 square ft)

It has been 5 high for 10+ years, no issues. I agree that adding those extra layers like I did is a bad idea, it was more to temporarily make space elsewhere. But I do not live in a modern house. Everything is very overbuilt compared to a modern home, with very strong timber, likely from virgin forests 120+ years ago. Anyway, I'm working on it. Getting rid of 20,000 comics would make it easier to move around, for sure.

On 3/25/2023 at 3:31 PM, batman_fan said:

We have finally started moving in to our new place.  I hauled up four boxes of liquor (2 more to take up).  My wife kept saying "are you going to have enough room for what you have".

Answer: I need at least 50 more bottles. Shelves will hold 3-4 bottles deep.  I think I have another 20 bottles at home.

IMG_5780.jpg

Most (but not all) of these are full.  Do you treat some of these as collectibles?  Because there is definitely a speculator's market out there for wines and spirits -- a friend of mine (who used to be in the comics biz) has an entire business built around whisky.

On 3/25/2023 at 4:22 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Most (but not all) of these are full.  Do you treat some of these as collectibles?  Because there is definitely a speculator's market out there for wines and spirits -- a friend of mine (who used to be in the comics biz) has an entire business built around whisky.

Most are opened but just one shot poured.  They are planned to be drunk.

On 4/2/2023 at 1:36 PM, lizards2 said:

Sandi was home for about 10 days over spring break and cracked the whip upon my back to make some progress in the comic rooms. She has basically ceded the entire family room over to her comic hoarding husband.

Here is what the comic room proper and rest used to look like.  

Here are some new pics of the progress. We ended up getting rid of the pool table, which had just become a comic book storage and sorting table. We used a couple origami shelves to support a new butcher block table surface for me to grade, process, photograph. Sandi bought me a ring light for photography for my 62nd birthday - I don't know how to use it yet, as there were only seven parts in the package, and I only got six - it was missing the user's manual. She is making fabric hangers to go over some of the shelving ends to make it more like family room and less like a warehouse - I want to get some of my posters and prints framed, to maybe hang on the ends of the towers.. Eventually, we plan to put a recliner or loveseat or something into the void, so I could maybe relax out there - we've talked about possible moving the massage chair out there, since it looks like some command console on a space ship anyway.

I am really liking the arrangement so far, as it has already allowed me easy access to most things, and I have already found some "lost" titles, and consolidated some same titles from different boxes. Crassus is anxious for me to find my Conans, which have been lost for about 20 years, so he can buy them. lol Interesting some of the boxes full of unboarded, not individually bagged comics that I removed from the floor of the comic room were circa 2001, which would have been when my youngest son was four and started wrestling - that is when life really got busy for us, and I gave up on bagging, boarding, inventorying all the new, freshly printed books that were coming in. Now the three kids are grown and gone, but we do have a "fresh" granddaughter.

Anyway, it is still a work in progress, as I get everything off the floor into boxes, and get it inventoried.

From the dining room. That is a bathroom and laundry room on the left, and the comic room proper on the right.

image.thumb.jpeg.93e0a4e43a23d3bd4275bafe56298dfe.jpeg

We're replacing the old Venetion blinds with blackout cellular blinds - I've already got them, just haven't put them up yet.

image.thumb.jpeg.09e835062a64ab891049189eded7b4d5.jpeg

The old comic room proper - just a huge closet. The short boxes are two deep on the right hand side, and one deep on the left.
Now that I have easy access into the closet, I want to replace the shelving that is breaking down with some more industrial grade stuff.
image.thumb.jpeg.70b6711dc327c1809023cbbf5b225190.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.9b41259d7da20ac4e10b15e0e21b49c9.jpeg
View from the dead end, looking back towards the closet door.
image.thumb.jpeg.accb074cff490f4e9f277730521757be.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.29f1300b6c3639632ada9453e19e5082.jpeg

The desk with the fabric coverings for the ends that Sandi made. That's the door to the garage behind it. She is planning on making fabric ends on the shelving towers behind the desk as well, from which I can hopefully display some posters, prints, and maybe some framed CGC books.
image.jpeg.226f126c0b6a8d93e95b3d04ce304db3.jpeg
image.jpeg.c8c5ac9f8cc466865cf3098457686c63.jpeg
image.jpeg.9e925c1d2bc827610a101aeb756d8dbf.jpeg

Couldn't you find a "greener" carpet :baiting:

I feel like I need pool balls and a cue