• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
48 48

10,304 posts in this topic

On 8/30/2023 at 6:04 AM, MultiSig Mike said:

Better to store slabs upright or sideways?

They don't fit in the drawer standing upright, hence the sideways.

Maybe I should arrange so the spines are down, I just don't get slabs that have movement that would damage the edge being stored the other way though I probably should just default to spines down.

On 8/30/2023 at 10:15 AM, southern cross said:

They don't fit in the drawer standing upright, hence the sideways.

Maybe I should arrange so the spines are down, I just don't get slabs that have movement that would damage the edge being stored the other way though I probably should just default to spines down.

(shrug)

On 8/30/2023 at 11:15 AM, southern cross said:

I store my books on their side with the spines down. 

I figure that eliminates any chance of the slab "holding" onto the cover while the interior pages slide down over time and rip the staples free from the cover.

On 3/14/2023 at 12:26 PM, Turnando said:

I suspect that a single stack of long boxes would be more of a point load than a distributed load.

I think the 40 lbs per square foot design requirement is for a distributed (average) load.

Stack long boxes 3 high across a significant portion of your floor.  That is probably  when you are safe but at the limit. 

The safety factor is probably 3 or 4 so you can go much higher before you snap your floor but why?

(Long box is about 1.6 square ft)

Massive cleanup of the room in question. I might have too much up against an exterior wall now though, possible (not stacked that high, but maybe too much anyway), but what was once a disaster area has been cleaned up. That hallway is empty. The big room I have posted before, all my junk is on one side and I have a curtain dividing the room in half. The other side is now a nice guest suite/office area where we had a house guest spend 2 weeks in July. And another room that had been packed is now wide open and I plan on having an art studio space up there.

Unfortunately, during the 2-3 weeks I was cleaning up that floor (threw out massive amounts of junk) I injured my achilles from all the up and down. What was probably a partial tear turned into a complete rupture when I fell down outside. I have not been able to get up that flight of stairs for 2 months due to my condition. Been completely cut off from my comics!

I will take pictures once I am able to get up those stores safely. Maybe a month.

Edited by the blob

On 9/7/2023 at 8:31 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I store my books on their side with the spines down. 

I figure that eliminates any chance of the slab "holding" onto the cover while the interior pages slide down over time and rip the staples free from the cover.

Same.  Spine down for this exact reason.

On 11/15/2023 at 5:37 PM, Badlands said:

Been a bit since I posted my nerd cave. First pic is my PC, the next two are collections I pick up here and there. The next few are odds and ends, spinner rack, things on my wall, an Incredible Hulk pinball machine converted to a coffee table, etc. Enjoy!

20231115_183033.jpg

20231115_183047.jpg

20231115_183056.jpg

20231115_183117.jpg

20231115_183122.jpg

20231115_183130.jpg

20231115_183137.jpg

Seems I remember when you bought the pinball and posted here, less rust than all that it turned out or I'm guessing. Still works as a bench table though. Nice! 👍

I wish I knew who to tag?

Any thoughts on rust migration?

Are these too bad off to instantly use? The sun was coming down, when I was told I could come get them...so the best pics I can take for now. :sorry:

Help me out here 🙏🙏

IMG_20231208_173450491_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20231208_173441031_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20231208_173432540_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20231208_173424225_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20231208_172844956.jpg

IMG_20231208_172827619.jpg