• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
12 12

40,446 posts in this topic

I'm not a Walking Dead collector but I have a really nice Walking Dead 1 CGC 9.8 coming back from CGC. What would you do with it? Would you hold onto it for awhile?

I kind of like the idea of keeping it for a bit and seeing where the market goes. I also like having a Modern key like it in my collection.

now is not the time to sell in my opinion ... I think we'll see much better prices once the next season debuts. I also think it's a safe bet for years to come as the story on the TV show has only progressed to issue 19 and most people agree that the best portion of the comic is yet to come.

That book has certainly softened in the last month. It was selling for $1400+ pretty consistently for one hot minute, and now it won't move at $1200. I expect it to dip even further (to $1000 or so) over the summer, but it could certainly rebound again in the fall. Just depends on which way you think things will go, and how long you want to hang onto it.

I think one thing that plays against this book, despite the general rarity of the issue, is the extremely high CGC census population in grade. Hard to command a premium for a 9.8 when there are 350+ of them out there (and maybe closer to 400 now).

I hope they all continue to drop muwhahahahaha

I was at a convention this weekend and there were lots of Walking Dead books on the wall. When I left there were lots of Walking Dead books on the wall still...

I think id move it but thats just me but have seen the prices dip some for walking dead. I do think a lot will pop back up in the fall tryin to command a high price.

I was at a convention this weekend and there were lots of Walking Dead books on the wall. When I left there were lots of Walking Dead books on the wall still...

I saw the same thing in Detroit. Only one booth didn't have Walking Dead on their display. I didn't see a decent price anywhere. I was actually kind of lost after buying WD for so many years I couldn't think of anything else to buy. I ended up at a local comic shop where there were Saga 1's and various other recent releases for cover.

If you enjoy it in the collection Dre then keep it. Nobody can argue about it being a key. 2c

I saw the same thing in Detroit. Only one booth didn't have Walking Dead on their display. I didn't see a decent price anywhere. I was actually kind of lost after buying WD for so many years I couldn't think of anything else to buy. I ended up at a local comic shop where there were Saga 1's and various other recent releases for cover.

That must really be awkward. lol

I saw something similar in Detroit, dealers were insane on their pricing and stuff just sat. I on the other hand set up with two short boxes of exclusively WD books, priced them properly and am positive my sales were better than most dealers and their entire booth.

Example one dealers pricing structure for their raw run.

#1 1500

#2 1000

#7-10 300-400

#11-15 200

# 19 1000

The couple of 9.8 #1 copies in the room? $1,600 and $1,650 respectively.

Jim

Completely freaking crazy

I saw the same thing in Detroit. Only one booth didn't have Walking Dead on their display. I didn't see a decent price anywhere.

:sorry:

I'm not a Walking Dead collector but I have a really nice Walking Dead 1 CGC 9.8 coming back from CGC. What would you do with it? Would you hold onto it for awhile?

I kind of like the idea of keeping it for a bit and seeing where the market goes. I also like having a Modern key like it in my collection.

Now seems to be a really bad time to sell WD. The heat from the season final and the overall run has become luke warm. Though keeping it and bringing it to a convention for a couple sigs would greatly increase its value if you think it is a solid 9.8 and can hold up to multiple gradings.

I had my #19 SS up on the bay for a crazy price, more as a look what I can show off than anything. Until someone actually bought it :eek: I like the idea of having modern keys that are hotly desired, the knowledge that there are thousands of these in high grade condition but yours is still worth a comparable silver age key. I think an unexplainable expensive modern book that has no business being worth what it is, is a great addition to any collection.. it just gives you that 90s feel. It is hard to explain but it just fills that warm soft spot in my collectors heart. :cloud9:

Edited by DougC

well they should either lower their prices or pull them and wait for it to heat up again when the new season comes out...or issue 100 sparks more interest. Being stubborn doesn't pay the bills.

I think one thing that plays against this book, despite the general rarity of the issue, is the extremely high CGC census population in grade. Hard to command a premium for a 9.8 when there are 350+ of them out there (and maybe closer to 400 now).

I've heard that argument before, for the record, tere are 351 copies of WD 1 in CGC 9.8. By comparison, there are 322 copies of Omega Men #3 Lobo's first appearance. I agree that it will be difficult for WD 1 to achieve an incredibly high price for a modern/copper age book as TMNT 1 has, but the notion that this book won't sell for $1,500 - $,2500 at some point because there are 350 copies I find less persuasive. My recollection is that there have been approximately 350 copies for last 6 months or so? Anyone else know for certain?