• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
12 12

40,446 posts in this topic

It is only worth mentioning since some of the 1:200 are preselling for a premium while others are hoping the variant will pay for the 200 comic purchase. It doesn't look like they will command that kind of premium unless something substantial happens in the issue. I am guessing given Kirkman's track record that it will not be a key issue.

It also gives some new sellers an idea of how many issues will be for sale.

seems like most of the folks I sold too had presold some % of the 25 sets, so I believe it will be a win/win for all of my customers/buyers...now, out there in macro comic book land, I cannot comment, but I believe all that ordered from me will own at a reasonable price "net" :wishluck:

I will make just enough $ to buy my kids some happy meals, so I didn't do this motivated by the tons of profit I will make lol

If one store in FLA is ordering 16,000 copies I can only assume that anyone betting on the number of #100 copies printed HAS to take the Over on 100,000 copies. I know my little 800 SQ foot LCS is ordering a minimum of 1,000 copies. What is Jamie Graham ordering for his 7-9 stores? What about Bedrock and his 3-4 stores?

In all honesty, a print run of 250k wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Jim

If one store in FLA is ordering 16,000 copies I can only assume that anyone betting on the number of #100 copies printed HAS to take the Over on 100,000 copies. I know my little 800 SQ foot LCS is ordering a minimum of 1,000 copies. What is Jamie Graham ordering for his 7-9 stores? What about Bedrock and his 3-4 stores?

In all honesty, a print run of 250k wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Jim

I am only ordering 600 for my store and reg mail order customers...the other 16K is from the entire country and overseas...but you are correct about stores like Bedrock and Graham Cracker...

75K has been my guess and im sticking to it. Thank you so much for doing this for us. I actually plan on giving quite a few of mine away.If i actually can sell a few, so be it. Heck with the size of the order you made they should make you a G.A.tor variant !! Thanks again!!

Edited by THB

75K has been my guess and im sticking to it. Thank you so much for doing this for us. I actually plan on giving quite a few of mine away.If i actually can sell a few, so be it. Heck with the size of the order you made they should make you a G.A.tor variant !! Thanks again!!
that would be cool...

It is only worth mentioning since some of the 1:200 are preselling for a premium while others are hoping the variant will pay for the 200 comic purchase. It doesn't look like they will command that kind of premium unless something substantial happens in the issue. I am guessing given Kirkman's track record that it will not be a key issue.

It also gives some new sellers an idea of how many issues will be for sale.

What is the logic to buying 200 copies to sell the only copy that might be easy to sell in the future? Slabbed 9.8 variants out of the 200? With the vast amount of copies that will be printed even those will be prevalent but that's the only thing that I could come up with for wanting to do that. The vast amount of copies equates to a gale-force poo storm for small-time flippers. It seems that the only play to gain some value if you just want a copy of each is buy a 1:200 for under 300 and sell it right away during the initial hype and hope buy one or two later on for much less. Variant sets and chromiums will be littering the parking lots of comic shops across the nation, so no need to worry about those, and we'll have, what are we saying tentatively here, 500 to 1000 of these incentive copies floating around out there minimum.

I've seen variants handled 2 ways by LCS's. Sell the variant for a premium and make the profit on the regulars or sell the regulars at cover and give the variant away as an incentive to customers or keep it.

As for the logic on the 1:200 if you presell the variant to cover the cost of the 200 books then sell the hottest title's monumental issue for $1 each and there's your profit. I'll be surprised to see all the regular issues sell for cover in a few weeks. Once the under ordered or popular covers are determined then the others will be discounted.

If my LCS runs on selling $2.99 comics at a cost of $1.50 then how does it not make sense for them to be selling issues for $1.50-$2.00 that cost them nothing?

I've seen variants handled 2 ways by LCS's. Sell the variant for a premium and make the profit on the regulars or sell the regulars at cover and give the variant away as an incentive to customers or keep it.

As for the logic on the 1:200 if you presell the variant to cover the cost of the 200 books then sell the hottest title's monumental issue for $1 each and there's your profit. I'll be surprised to see all the regular issues sell for cover in a few weeks. Once the under ordered or popular covers are determined then the others will be discounted.

If my LCS runs on selling $2.99 comics at a cost of $1.50 then how does it not make sense for them to be selling issues for $1.50-$2.00 that cost them nothing?

Agreed, they have the vehicle to move the books quickly and easily. I was reading and thinking that the people who really aren't thinking about what a pain it is to move 200 copies or even 25 sets, and who are paying under cover price but have higher cost basis than a dealer might also be included in the discussion because you were talking about people not realizing how many of these might be produced. But let's say they aren't blind to at least some of these obstacles then is there some reason that they would do this? It seems risky even to consider getting many slabbed because of the number of books that will be printed. I know that I'm not buying 25 sets because I'll waste more money promoting and shipping raw copies than I would put in my pocket at the end of the day even if I sold the incentive copy for more than I "paid"for it. Now I really don't know that much about the slabbed market so I was asking if those people have some plan to slab a few copies and dump the rest at whatever they feel like, or have some other plan, and have that pay off that way.

Edited by Zaitsev

The vast amount of copies equates to a gale-force poo storm for small-time flippers.

yup... nice choice of words

selling the entire arc may stand a better chance of making something before the trade hits but not with variants. things are slowing down a little but i'm expecting that as Summer kicks in.

Edited by Garf

I ramped up my personal pull list long before 100 so I would have runs, I presold a few sets, plan to grade some and they are nice for quad SS.