• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Oh great, this will really cause the "flippers" to totally lose their collective minds! :screwy:

Has anybody else heard the rumour that this "reported' sale is a sham? That it's a fictitious transaction whose sole purpose is to manipulate the prices of Amazing Fantasy 15 upwards? It's private and I've not heard of the seller stepping forward.

hm

You mean the seller has not registered on the CGC forum to explain that it's legit?

Amazing.

I think I was the one that questioned the legitimacy of the sale, not because I thought there was something askew besides the price, simply because it was an expensive transaction.

I'd say that it's 50/50 at this point. Neither side has any proof, either way.

Oops. Edited to say that I thought you were talking about the $18K CGC 5.0 sale last week.

I remember reading quite a bit of speculation about the Action #1 that sold last February. There were allegations it was a fix so that Metro/CC could steal Heritage's thunder and claim the first million dollar sale (which had been expected to be the Tec #27 that was being auctioned at Heritage a few days later).

I don't recall seeing any speculation about the AF #15, though...

:popcorn:

There is little doubt that the $1.1MIL AF #15 CGC 9.6 sale is legit. The previous owner was well known in high end circles and I have heard it corroborated by several people.

Oh great, this will really cause the "flippers" to totally lose their collective minds! :screwy:

Has anybody else heard the rumour that this "reported' sale is a sham? That it's a fictitious transaction whose sole purpose is to manipulate the prices of Amazing Fantasy 15 upwards? It's private and I've not heard of the seller stepping forward.

hm

Haven't heard it to date. Where are you hearing this from? I'd only be surprised as Metro has been putting themselves forward in the limelight quite a bit with their record sales, and being found out to be fraudulent, well, that'd be more damage to their rep than I'm sure it'd be worth (esp. since they've already picked up more than one $1 million dollar sale).

I'd actually first heard of this sale on a non-comic board. That was where another comic fan raised the possibility that the "transaction" was nothing more than an attempt to manipulate the market. I then decided to see what was being said about the transaction on this board.

I'd not heard though that Metropolis was the seller, which sheds an entirely different light on the situation.

hm

hm

Haven't heard it to date. Where are you hearing this from? I'd only be surprised as Metro has been putting themselves forward in the limelight quite a bit with their record sales, and being found out to be fraudulent, well, that'd be more damage to their rep than I'm sure it'd be worth (esp. since they've already picked up more than one $1 million dollar sale).

I'd actually first heard of this sale on a non-comic board. That was where another comic fan raised the possibility that the "transaction" was nothing more than an attempt to manipulate the market. I then decided to see what was being said about the transaction on this board.

I'd not heard though that Metropolis was the seller, which sheds an entirely different light on the situation.

hm

Metro is not the seller. The seller is a Eric Roberts (not the actor) who's collection is well known. Metro simply brokered the deal to a new buyer.

The seller is apparently a multi, multi millionaire (billionaire maybe). He owns the Allentown Detective #29 CGC 9.6 and a slew of other killer books as well.

Maybe people that don't want to see upper mid grade copies go up in price are startng a fake sale rumor

+1 lol

It's like someone said in the PQ debate thread.

Those with an AF15 say its a legit sale :banana:

Those looking for an AF15 are calling shenanigans :sumo:

but what does the buyer own??

Good question. I wonder if he owns any other $1MIL comics.

Pretty amazing!

Even as undervalued as AF15 is on the registry, that ONE book would put you at 36th overall :ohnoez:

There is little doubt that the $1.1MIL AF #15 CGC 9.6 sale is legit. The previous owner was well known in high end circles and I have heard it corroborated by several people.

I don't believe this was an all inclusive cash deal.

Do tell...

I don't believe this was an all inclusive cash deal.

Do tell...

It's just an assumption.

but what does the buyer own??

Good question. I wonder if he owns any other $1MIL comics.

Pretty amazing!

Even as undervalued as AF15 is on the registry, that ONE book would put you at 36th overall :ohnoez:

Well AF15 certainly does show up an awful lot in the registry, well over the number of times that for example AF 14 shows up in the same registry.

hm

Roy, I know I referred to Metro as the seller though you're more accurate in your choice "broker." Nonetheless, they're putting their rep on the line as the one's working the deal, so in the regard, we're on the same page.

Yeah, I'd guess it's probably just some naysaying from people who don't have a horse in the race (not that ANY of us really do...).

According to GPA, thats about the going rate for a 2.5.

The last 3 sales of a 2.5 were:

1/09/11- $4481

2/09/11- $4500(probably yours?)

2/26/11- $4025

The other 2 were ow/w pages and only the $4500 had white pages which definitely gets a premium so id say you paid right about what you should. Pretty freaking amazing that 2.5's are closing in on the 5k barrier (thumbs u

Oh, and WTTB! :applause: