• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week in Your Bronze Age Collection!!
35 35

6,902 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I got this in the mail today and I'm kind of torn about this one.

This is one of my "bucket list" Neal Adams Batman books, and was excited when I saw this one pop up at auction.  But right away I noticed a couple of odd white marks in the logo area and asked the seller about them.  While I was waiting for his reply I noticed a similar white fuzzy anomaly near the B in the logo area but that one moved from picture to picture.  The seller replied that the marks were in fact on the book.  But I also the noticed on the copy of Batman 234 he also had up that had similar white fuzees that would move from picture to picture.  So I decided to gamble that maybe these were some of the "foreign objects" that CGC QA has been letting slip by so I bid to win.

Well, I now have the book in hand and it turns out that in fact they are some kind of color-breaking impact mark on the book.  They must be the reason for the 9.0 as the spine has very little wear.  But it's an odd defect and once you notice it your eye is kind of drawn to it.

But this book checks off so many boxes for me:  great cover wrap alignment, deep colors with no wear to the dark background inks, no arrival date stamp, no distributor ink overspray, white pages.  And I really didn't pay too much more than what I sold a 9.0 copy for about 6 years ago (almost to the month) and I really can't say that copy looked that much better.  Here’s the old copy for comparison 

Reveal hidden contents

29279D33-9EAA-4244-B609-74B32CB079AA.jpeg.6c189000aa97a9968de66395df2e67ac.jpeg

So what's the alternative?  Wait for another copy that has all these attributes but also has defect that still knocks it down to 9.0 to keep it affordable but is less noticeable than this defect?  Seems like I'd be waiting a long time for that so I guess I'll hold on to it for now.

105438770_DetectiveComics402aCGC.jpg.1adf3f4fffd3a88b74469a0867ba0b27.jpg

I suppose wait or search for it at your leisure 

But if you consider the 9.0 affordable maybe it will align to where you can upgrade without selling this under copy first....

Best way I can think

But for sure be I'd be happy with this one, I like the cover myself so congrats! 

41 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I suppose wait or search for it at your leisure 

But if you consider the 9.0 affordable maybe it will align to where you can upgrade without selling this under copy first....

Best way I can think

But for sure be I'd be happy with this one, I like the cover myself so congrats! 

Well, to clarify, when I say affordable I don’t mean to imply inexpensive.  There a certain Adams Detective books that are “in demand” and on those books for me 9.0s are “affordable” in the sense of being about the top limit of what I’m comfortable paying.

I have purchased a couple Adams books that are higher grade than that and I haven’t posted them here because frankly I’m embarrassed about what I paid for them.  I’m glad to have the books and considering how after 20+ years of CGC grading how low the census is on some of these Detective books in 9.0 and above I certainly don’t regret getting them.  But it’s also not something I can do repeatedly and feel good about  

I think part of the problem is I have a 9.0 in my collection now and have had a couple in the past that present extremely well for the grade.  Even though you know there must be something wrong that the holder is obscuring they almost fool you into thinking they’re something better than they are  

Once you get a couple 9.0s like that it’s hard not to compare and not hope that you can repeat that kind of purchase every time you get a 9.0…which of course, isn’t realistic.

On 6/21/2021 at 11:05 PM, Number 6 said:

Well, to clarify, when I say affordable I don’t mean to imply inexpensive.  There a certain Adams Detective books that are “in demand” and on those books for me 9.0s are “affordable” in the sense of being about the top limit of what I’m comfortable paying.

I have purchased a couple Adams books that are higher grade than that and I haven’t posted them here because frankly I’m embarrassed about what I paid for them.  I’m glad to have the books and considering how after 20+ years of CGC grading how low the census is on some of these Detective books in 9.0 and above I certainly don’t regret getting them.  But it’s also not something I can do repeatedly and feel good about  

I think part of the problem is I have a 9.0 in my collection now and have had a couple in the past that present extremely well for the grade.  Even though you know there must be something wrong that the holder is obscuring they almost fool you into thinking they’re something better than they are  

Once you get a couple 9.0s like that it’s hard not to compare and not hope that you can repeat that kind of purchase every time you get a 9.0…which of course, isn’t realistic.

It becomes tough. I overpaid for my GL/GA 76 in 7.5. At the time. I bought it 6 years ago and just now it's where it should be for value. I buy the book because I want it and sometimes I pay more than I should. Your cover is tough because it's so dark. I have a 9.2 of the book and it's gorgeous.

On 6/21/2021 at 6:56 PM, Number 6 said:

I got this in the mail today and I'm kind of torn about this one.

This is one of my "bucket list" Neal Adams Batman books, and was excited when I saw this one pop up at auction.  But right away I noticed a couple of odd white marks in the logo area and asked the seller about them.  While I was waiting for his reply I noticed a similar white fuzzy anomaly near the B in the logo area but that one moved from picture to picture.  The seller replied that the marks were in fact on the book.  But I also the noticed on the copy of Batman 234 he also had up that had similar white fuzees that would move from picture to picture.  So I decided to gamble that maybe these were some of the "foreign objects" that CGC QA has been letting slip by so I bid to win.

Well, I now have the book in hand and it turns out that in fact they are some kind of color-breaking impact mark on the book.  They must be the reason for the 9.0 as the spine has very little wear.  But it's an odd defect and once you notice it your eye is kind of drawn to it.

But this book checks off so many boxes for me:  great cover wrap alignment, deep colors with no wear to the dark background inks, no arrival date stamp, no distributor ink overspray, white pages.  And I really didn't pay too much more than what I sold a 9.0 copy for about 6 years ago (almost to the month) and I really can't say that copy looked that much better.  Here’s the old copy for comparison 

Hide contents

29279D33-9EAA-4244-B609-74B32CB079AA.jpeg.6c189000aa97a9968de66395df2e67ac.jpeg

So what's the alternative?  Wait for another copy that has all these attributes but also has defect that still knocks it down to 9.0 to keep it affordable but is less noticeable than this defect?  Seems like I'd be waiting a long time for that so I guess I'll hold on to it for now.

105438770_DetectiveComics402aCGC.jpg.1adf3f4fffd3a88b74469a0867ba0b27.jpg

Detective 402 is especially tough to get centered and in high grade.

13 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

Just received this solid mid grade copy from @aelelarkin.  Great deal and nice secure packing.  This pretty much ends my ASM hunt, except for maybe some upgrades. Only missing 1-5, 14, and 129 (through issue 350).  Those are out of my zone. 

20210628_102936.thumb.jpg.bbee8f2857a5480d83fdc9e51f4568a2.jpg

quite the run! and understandable yet amazing all in one!! who knows, maybe you'll stumble across the perfect garage sale someday lol Never Say Never :wishluck: 

yet this last for now makes a great completion! It too, I feel is beyond my reach :download: