• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,309 posts in this topic

I finally got some Deitch art in the last ComicLink auction. Does anyone have any info on this exhibit, like what year?, or a scan of the published piece? Thanks.

Hey Mike, actually it looks like this was not just a poster but also the front cover to a collection of underground art (maybe from an exhibit) published by S.K. Jonefsberg Studio in Portland, OR in 1995. Here is an image of the finished art.

Cheers,

Tom

undergound-cov.jpg

Thanks Tom! I knew someone could do it! :applause: Now I just have to find a copy for sale.

one was just listed on eBay (not my listing)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200601422791

Anyone know anything about these, and if they have any value?

Artwork by M Roden, Bob X, Ed H Dorn, John E, Bob Armstrong, Peter Bagge, Jim Williams, Dennis Worden, J Ryan, Ed "Big Daddy Roth"

33kqj9t.jpg

2rwtfo2.jpg

Artwork by M Roden, Xno, Jeff Gather, Mark Fisher, Bob X, J Ryan, Ed "Big Daddy Roth"

2wp766x.jpg

okr12a.jpg

I finally got some Deitch art in the last ComicLink auction. Does anyone have any info on this exhibit, like what year?, or a scan of the published piece? Thanks.

Hey Mike, actually it looks like this was not just a poster but also the front cover to a collection of underground art (maybe from an exhibit) published by S.K. Jonefsberg Studio in Portland, OR in 1995. Here is an image of the finished art.

Cheers,

Tom

undergound-cov.jpg

Thanks Tom! I knew someone could do it! :applause: Now I just have to find a copy for sale.

one was just listed on eBay (not my listing)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200601422791

:pullhair: i forgot to check in on this auction and got outbid! thanks anyways. i guess i'll wait another million years to locate one.

well, they won't make you rich. they're probably worth $5-8 bux a piece to the right buyer. i collect peter bagge stuff but that's before he's worth collecting. hm

I think Ed Roth has more appeal than Peter Bagge. Didn't know he did underground comics.

I don't think Ed himself did any of the Ratfink drawings in 80's undergrounds. the Starhead Ratfink Comix were done by R. K. Sloane.

Unlike most 80s minis, the XEX Graphics books were mostly if not all offset printed, and often had heavy cardstock covers. $5 - $10 is probably a decent ballpark on value, but don't know how easy it is to find a buyer.

I think Ed Roth has more appeal than Peter Bagge. Didn't know he did underground comics.

I don't think Ed himself did any of the Ratfink drawings in 80's undergrounds. the Starhead Ratfink Comix were done by R. K. Sloane.

Unlike most 80s minis, the XEX Graphics books were mostly if not all offset printed, and often had heavy cardstock covers. $5 - $10 is probably a decent ballpark on value, but don't know how easy it is to find a buyer.

yes, the rat fink stuff is cool and r.k. sloane was his ghost artist. i love sloan's comic work and his paintings are great. he died about three years ago. BUT bagge's run on neat suff and hate are classic MUST READS.

I think "Big Daddy" Roth's comics are kind of a ground level comic that can go either way, but slightly more UG. There was 3 B&W that are probably more Underground and hard to find (that I'm sure aren't listed in OS) and then the color cover series (there was a more common #1 from a second series that you can always find from Starhead Comix), with the 1st 3 issues being easier to find than the later ones. Also there was a 3-D one. There was a mini-comix series of Rat Fink also that I'm not sure were Roth's or Sloan's.

Roth had a few other appearances in some mini and Underground Comix too.

Here's a site to help:

http://www.vsrnonline.com/bdr_ads/RothComics.htm

111865.jpg.9f73665342e8ceb1054bcf4259b8605a.jpg

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

Artwork by M Roden, Bob X, Ed H Dorn, John E, Bob Armstrong, Peter Bagge, Jim Williams, Dennis Worden, J Ryan, Ed "Big Daddy Roth"

33kqj9t.jpg

2rwtfo2.jpg

Artwork by M Roden, Xno, Jeff Gather, Mark Fisher, Bob X, J Ryan, Ed "Big Daddy Roth"

2wp766x.jpg

okr12a.jpg

These were published by Mike Roden under his Thru Black Holes Comix. I am a big Roden fan and own a large collection of his work. Sadly, he passed away a few years ago, but I was lucky enough to get to know him a little before he passed. He had his own eBay store where he sold many of his mini-comix

To answer your question, these two comix are probably not worth much. They are some of his more common works. There was a long series of "Crazy Men" minis by Roden.

Those minis are really scarce, I don't know what the print runs were but I bet there were a couple of hundred copies made at most.

I think "Big Daddy" Roth's comics are kind of a ground level comic that can go either way, but slightly more UG. There was 3 B&W that are probably more Underground and hard to find (that I'm sure aren't listed in OS) and then the color cover series (there was a more common #1 from a second series that you can always find from Starhead Comix), with the 1st 3 issues being easier to find than the later ones. Also there was a 3-D one. There was a mini-comix series of Rat Fink also that I'm not sure were Roth's or Sloan's.

Roth had a few other appearances in some mini and Underground Comix too.

Here's a site to help:

http://www.vsrnonline.com/bdr_ads/RothComics.htm

Plymell tonight (26 May 2011) in Venice Beach, CA (Beyond Baroque) discussing the first issue of "The Last Times" he printed in 1967 (including the R. Crumb Head Comix page he lifted from Yarrowstalks #2), just before he signed my copy. He was kind enough to sign a few of my items, including copies of variants of "The Last Times" #2 and copies of Grist (including #7, which includes the first printed S. Clay Wilson art) as well as Robert Ronnie Branaman and all 3 issues of Now. That's Bob Branaman on the left and poet Roxie Powell on the right, all part of the Wichita Vortex. What a great evening to remember.

th_DSCF1716.jpg

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

Thought I would post this warning for a eBay listing.

The pic. for this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bijou-Funnies-1-7-Set-Lot-Skip-Williamson-Comix-Comic-/160607407645?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2564f28e1d

was taken from this listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BIJOU-FUNNIES-1-First-Print-1968-/200618607291?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb5cd02bb

Don't think you'll be getting the 1st print in the picture.

I picked up a big lot of some 70s Screw magazines. One issue in particular might be of interest. I'm not sure what is and is not okay to post so here's a link to the album(NSFW): http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z324/dailysuperpower/Private/

Password is: password

I'm sure most of the comic content is reprinted from actual undergrounds but it's an interesting format at least, the issues are tabloid size (11.5 x 17)

also, if you start on the cover and work your way back the images are in page order.

Edited by DailySuperpower