• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,859 posts in this topic

Do the Comico Grendel books have any value? I've seen a lot of them recently sitting at one of the stores I check thatt I've passed over a few times.

Edited by Doktor

Do the Comico Grendel books have any value? I've seen a lot of them recently sitting at one of the stores I check thatt I've passed over a few times.

I am pretty sure the 1983 series which hector has above is worth a few hundred in grade. Obviously Primer no# 2 is the big Grendel book.

Only the first three black and white oversized issues are worth anything, like the one above. The second volume 1-40 is in color, comic book sized, not so good.

I am pretty sure the 1983 series which hector has above is worth a few hundred in grade. Obviously Primer no# 2 is the big Grendel book.

Correct! And I have a Primer #2 also :whee: (got in a copper collection I purchased of pure indys)

Got up at 5 am this morning to hit an estate sale 100 miles away that showed pictures online of some sleepy-travel-worthy Golden Age. The pics were of Marvel Mystery 17, Mystery Men 21, More Fun 66, Top Notch 14, Flash 15 and Classics 15. I got my daughter, who lives nearby, to get in line yesterday to get me on the list, so I was 5th in line to get in.

Unfortunately... (or maybe not) the first person on the list was a woman who was there to get the comics for her brother, so she was already looking at them when I got in the door. Looked over her shoulder, but at that point it was apparent she was going to take them all. That was fine with me -- the prices, though apparently not out of line, were certainly not bargains either. The Marvel Mystery was priced at just under $500 with a pretty serious spine roll. I probably would have snared it in the hope that it could press out and be a 4.0-4.5-ish book. Rather than buying the comics right away, the woman went off into a corner with them and the phone, apparently talking with her brother, or whoever the books were for. Since I was the next one in line who had an interest in them, I told the guy running the sale, I'd like a shot at whatever she didn't want, and went on to look around. Eventually, I sat down on a couch near the front and just waited, along with another guy who was behind me and interested in them also. Around a half hour later, the estate sale guy started getting impatient with the woman and told her she had to go ahead and make a decision since he had other people interested.

Shortly after that she came back over with the Mystery Men and the Top Notch, so I started looking through them. Both were G-VGish looking books. The Top Notch had super vibrant cover colors, but also had a large 3/4 inch piece out of the bottom left front cover. As I looked through them, I discovered that they both had one or two individual panels cut out of one of their stories. Yikes. I doubt the guy pricing them for the sale had even paged through them completely. Since I was looking at them for resale, I had no interest in them incomplete, even at a discounted price (which still ended up being close to Overstreet's Gd price).

The woman ended up buying the others, including the More Fun, which also apparently had a panel cut out. I don't know if she even counted the pages on the comics. I've had pretty good luck with estate sales this year, but this one was a flop. It's still pretty unusual to see books of that vintage at a sale.

I wonder if there will ever be a time were western comics become all the rage.

I'm not sure. It would be interesting if even ten collectors went after high grade bronze Marvel westerns. They seem to be really tough to find in high grade. I wonder how many would, or could, come out of the woodwork.

i think there might be more than 10. if they slabbed out to 9.6 or 9.8 i think you will do well.

i have a few of these from that era in great shape i bought 4/$1, bagged and boarded 20 years ago. they were worthless then so i stuck them away to age them more. they probably somehow got crushed in their boxes or something with my luck.

Got up at 5 am this morning to hit an estate sale 100 miles away that showed pictures online of some sleepy-travel-worthy Golden Age. The pics were of Marvel Mystery 17, Mystery Men 21, More Fun 66, Top Notch 14, Flash 15 and Classics 15. I got my daughter, who lives nearby, to get in line yesterday to get me on the list, so I was 5th in line to get in.

Unfortunately... (or maybe not) the first person on the list was a woman who was there to get the comics for her brother, so she was already looking at them when I got in the door. Looked over her shoulder, but at that point it was apparent she was going to take them all. That was fine with me -- the prices, though apparently not out of line, were certainly not bargains either. The Marvel Mystery was priced at just under $500 with a pretty serious spine roll. I probably would have snared it in the hope that it could press out and be a 4.0-4.5-ish book. Rather than buying the comics right away, the woman went off into a corner with them and the phone, apparently talking with her brother, or whoever the books were for. Since I was the next one in line who had an interest in them, I told the guy running the sale, I'd like a shot at whatever she didn't want, and went on to look around. Eventually, I sat down on a couch near the front and just waited, along with another guy who was behind me and interested in them also. Around a half hour later, the estate sale guy started getting impatient with the woman and told her she had to go ahead and make a decision since he had other people interested.

Shortly after that she came back over with the Mystery Men and the Top Notch, so I started looking through them. Both were G-VGish looking books. The Top Notch had super vibrant cover colors, but also had a large 3/4 inch piece out of the bottom left front cover. As I looked through them, I discovered that they both had one or two individual panels cut out of one of their stories. Yikes. I doubt the guy pricing them for the sale had even paged through them completely. Since I was looking at them for resale, I had no interest in them incomplete, even at a discounted price (which still ended up being close to Overstreet's Gd price).

The woman ended up buying the others, including the More Fun, which also apparently had a panel cut out. I don't know if she even counted the pages on the comics. I've had pretty good luck with estate sales this year, but this one was a flop. It's still pretty unusual to see books of that vintage at a sale.

Wow, that sucks. Especially after driving 100 miles. But kudos for you for trying. At least you got to see your daughter. Best estate sale find I ever made was about 500 1948-1955 comics. They were all owned by a kid that had polio. Best part was the toys. He was given usually two of everything because he was a polio poster boy. He played with one and didn't usually open the other. Just awsome stuff. I got a lot of the toys and all the comics. The "professionals" running the show had no clue...

Great find! Any good story behind it?

Not really. Girl was given comics by her late father, she fell on hard times, and sold them. Had to drive about an hour to close the deal. Also had a tos 63 (missing centerfold), and an iron man 4, with a terrible trim on the top edge. I let them keep those.

So i was at the same sale. I gave up because i knew you would buy anything worth getting and there was another pretty knowledgebase guy in front of me as well. The way she was handling the comics i'm pretty sure she dropped them a grade or so any way. Did you get to see the marvel mystery 17. I was thinking it might press it into a 4.0, but only glanced at it over three shoulders and saw the small pic online. I left just a few minutes after take a quick tour of the place. I cant believe he let her handle them that long wirhout making a decision, but it seemed like the first 20 or so people all knew each other so it was probably one of those deals.

I love a good story :)

I almost drove from Dallas for the same estate sale. But, my funds were a little low. I also found out they did reservations for a spot in line in person the day before. I had emailed them last week asking if any had missing pages, and they said everything looked complete on all the comics. Hope whoever got them did a good inspection and felt good with the purchase. I was most interested in the Marvel Mystery and More Fun.