• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,856 posts in this topic

Found these at a garage sale for $1 each. Odd set up with a ton of star wars/action figure stuff and a couple of long boxes. He said he picked up stuff whenever he saw it on his travels - but didn't seem to know the value of most of it. I was looking for specific expanded universe SW figures - and he didn't know what i was talking about.

One long box was only Fantastic Four - starting with the books below from early 100's. too bad # 112 wasn't there - but was happy with these. My son and I had laughed at the ridiculousness of Impossible Man on issue 176 when we saw it online recently, so had to get that one. The other box was a mish-mash of the usual image dreck from 90's - but was happy to see key Doomsday books. Surprised to find the Big Shot mixed in with some gold key/disney stuff. all in all, a great garage sale stop!

CsfS1wFW8AAMPFS.jpg

CsfS4KyXYAAQt0s.jpg

CsfS7GvXYAAnqYc.jpg

Csf2q-8W8AA9WBM.jpg

Bought some books from a guy on the street who I have seen before. Unfortunately, he thinks he has valuable treasure and most had crazy sticker prices, but at the end of the day he needs to eat too. Anyway, I won't say what I paid. In hindsight after taking a bettter look at all of them under office light I might have overpaid by $10-$20 from a flip perspective. I'll make a profit if I sell, I don't doubt that, but there's time and effort in that.

X-Men 134. VF/NM. The sticker on this was $30, which is actually lower than what it is going for on ebay right now.

Ms. Marvel 16. Fine. Sticker price was $5, so he was a tad low on that one. (Seems that now the market likes 16 when it used to be 18?)

Ms. Marvel 18. Beater, but complete. From his $1 section.

X-Men 132. Sticker price was $30. VF+.

Fox and Crow 53. Fine/VF. The sticker on this as $40! I thought this series was more popular than ebay sales seem to indicate. Oh well.

Fantastic Four 56. VG+. Sticker was $40!

Rom 18. $3 sticker.

Detective 483. VF+. The sticker price was $15!

Rai 0. 9.6. Sticker price was $4, which is lower than FMV.

more books at the office!

so this is literally a guy on the street corner with a box of comics doing business? can't say i've see that before

No, he sets up a table on the street and has boxes on top of them. He had a full 6 foot table. He has had tables of magazines (like old Life magazines) in the past, and comics too, etc. I wonder if he buys storage rooms or something. NYC has liberal rules about street vendors and literature. In like 1994, there used to be like 5-10 guys with tables set up selling comics on Broadway across the street from Zuccotti park where the Occupy Wall Street stuff was, but they pushed them away for "security" reasons in the mid-90s and probably because the sidewalks were too crowded and then comics went bust.

Mostly junk, but there was some old stuff in there and decent stuff.

Bought some books from a guy on the street

Nice pics!

I'll get to it. Scanning during office hours is a no no.

Unlike filling your office with short boxes of comics.

:baiting:

They don't care about that. Honestly.

In hindsight after taking a bettter look at all of them under office light I might have overpaid by $10-$20 from a flip perspective.

Nothing against you personally, but I love a story with a happy ending :devil:

Well, it's not like I offered him $10 for the stack. I knew he wouldn't take it as I have dealt with him before (although it has been like 10 years).

I met a local guy yesterday who bought 3 short boxes of comics at auction

lots of new mutants books, including: 85,86, _ , 88, 89, 90,... 96, 97, _ 99...

Missing the 2 diamonds in the rough!!!! I was the first guy to look at these too. so no one had cherry-picked them

Alas, I managed to pick these up:

Jr7Ceo6l.jpg

clu8Hvyl.jpg

dOqlDDfl.jpg

rare TMNT movie adaptation I've never seen before

FoWsD8Jl.jpg

Edited by Michelangelo

There's a really good book about this by sociologist Mitch Duneier called "Sidewalk" that explains the history of street vendors selling books and magazines in NYC. It seems that a person selling poems on the sidewalk in the 1980s brought a challenge to the courts after being detained by police and his challenge was upheld due to 1st Amendment rights. As soon as I read your post about buying them off the street, my thoughts were that you lived in NYC. Duneier spent time living with the (mostly) homeless magazine vendors who he profiles in the book and claims that for some vendors the majority of the things sold are scavenged out of the trash. Really interesting stuff.

Found these at a garage sale for $1 each. Odd set up with a ton of star wars/action figure stuff and a couple of long boxes. He said he picked up stuff whenever he saw it on his travels - but didn't seem to know the value of most of it. I was looking for specific expanded universe SW figures - and he didn't know what i was talking about.

One long box was only Fantastic Four - starting with the books below from early 100's. too bad # 112 wasn't there - but was happy with these. My son and I had laughed at the ridiculousness of Impossible Man on issue 176 when we saw it online recently, so had to get that one. The other box was a mish-mash of the usual image dreck from 90's - but was happy to see key Doomsday books. Surprised to find the Big Shot mixed in with some gold key/disney stuff. all in all, a great garage sale stop!

CsfS1wFW8AAMPFS.jpg

CsfS4KyXYAAQt0s.jpg

CsfS7GvXYAAnqYc.jpg

Csf2q-8W8AA9WBM.jpg

Nice dollar buys. Especially like the WWII Big Shot!

Bought some books from a guy on the street

Nice pics!

I'll get to it. Scanning during office hours is a no no.

Unlike filling your office with short boxes of comics.

:baiting:

They don't care about that. Honestly.

It's good signaling theory. As long as the books are there, so are you. If you ever take the books/boxes home though...

so this is literally a guy on the street corner with a box of comics doing business? can't say i've see that before

No, he sets up a table on the street and has boxes on top of them. He had a full 6 foot table. He has had tables of magazines (like old Life magazines) in the past, and comics too, etc. I wonder if he buys storage rooms or something. NYC has liberal rules about street vendors and literature. In like 1994, there used to be like 5-10 guys with tables set up selling comics on Broadway across the street from Zuccotti park where the Occupy Wall Street stuff was, but they pushed them away for "security" reasons in the mid-90s and probably because the sidewalks were too crowded and then comics went bust.

Mostly junk, but there was some old stuff in there and decent stuff.

About 10 years ago, a friend of mine from NY who is not a collector bought some low grade GA from a homeless guy set up on the street. The guy basically wanted "coffee money" So, my friend sent them to me because "he knew I like old comics". There were 5 or 6 lower grade books. The ones I remember most were Shield Wizard #1 and More Fun #62. My friend got the feeling the guy had found them and might have used them for a pillow! One shot deal. He was shocked when I told him what they were worth. Here's the Shield Wizard #1

comshieldwizard1_zpsgezx57ho.jpg

Didn't Vinnie from Metro get his start doing this? Here is a local guy I see most days on my way home from work. Sells off the road in a residential neighborhood out of a short box. I got some OK SA books from him. He said he found them at the dump. I stop about once a week but he's gotton wise now.

comicman1_zpsx5o0p8gr.jpg

My friend got the feeling the guy had found them and might have used them for a pillow...

Wow. Kinda puts our hobby in perspective, doesn't it?

I mean, it's obvious, I know, but this stuff isn't really "worth" anything in purely utilitarian terms...unless we need to make a bed out of our comics, wipe our arse with them, or burn them for heat.

Despite our (frequent) differences of opinion, we are all very blessed to be able to enjoy both the leisure to pursue a pastime, and the pleasure it gives us...

Not a bad day looking at the for sale ads!

GlXk4uFh.jpg

Wow! Story?

Just a local online post about comics. I asked if he had any pictures and he sends me a group shot with Hulk 181 BA 12 and NM 98. Immediately got in my car and went to check them out. I see a guy pulling out as I pull up. He just purchased the Hulk 180 and 181, 2 copies of WWBN 32 in high grade, BA 12 in high grade ,Hawkman 4, and Tomb of Dracula 10. He had a VG sticker on the BA12 I purchased and its probably around a 7.5 copy. He stated the hulk 181 was a VG/F copy and he just sold it for $700 along with the other books.. doh! Still happy with what I found. Great stuff at great prices..