• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,859 posts in this topic

On 11/22/2021 at 6:01 PM, BJCCCAT said:

Pulled a Batman Adventures #12 and Mad Love One Shot out of a 4-for-$1 bin at an antique barn outside Granby, CT in 2012.

#12 is Long gone now, in fact, I sold it in less than a week for $600.

Mad Love is still kicking around in my random long box though…B7FEF8B6-C55D-4F92-BD21-5582461ADE8D.thumb.jpeg.7fe8351c1b869a0d6e7033b8bf541d99.jpeg

BEFDB7-C3-FC00-49-C9-81-BA-3-E73-F08-FA9

Where in Granby i might go check it out?what is the name of the place please?(worship)

On 11/23/2021 at 8:59 PM, Namtak said:

Where in Granby i might go check it out?what is the name of the place please?(worship)

I haven’t lived in Connecticut since 2013, but a quick google map walk down memory lane seems to indicate Wright’s Barn and Flea Market…  So closer to Torrington than Granby, but I remember driving through Granby on my way from Windsor to get there.  I believe the vendor with the comics had posted on Craigslist, which is why I ventured out there in the first place.  If you’re specifically hunting comics, I’d call ahead, as that vendor might not be around anymore.  Happy hunting!

On 11/23/2021 at 5:39 PM, BJCCCAT said:

I haven’t lived in Connecticut since 2013, but a quick google map walk down memory lane seems to indicate Wright’s Barn and Flea Market…  So closer to Torrington than Granby, but I remember driving through Granby on my way from Windsor to get there.  I believe the vendor with the comics had posted on Craigslist, which is why I ventured out there in the first place.  If you’re specifically hunting comics, I’d call ahead, as that vendor might not be around anymore.  Happy hunting!

:facepalm:not the same Granby near montreal lol

On 11/23/2021 at 2:39 PM, BJCCCAT said:

When on the East Coast junking I remember going to a cool flea market called Elephant Trunk in CT I believe. I found some decent old comics as well as toys and other stuff. Don’t know if it is still there or how the pickings are there if it is. 

On 11/23/2021 at 4:37 PM, Robot Man said:

When on the East Coast junking I remember going to a cool flea market called Elephant Trunk in CT I believe. I found some decent old comics as well as toys and other stuff. Don’t know if it is still there or how the pickings are there if it is. 

Still there - New Milford, CT.

On 11/23/2021 at 9:36 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Still there - New Milford, CT.

Is it still any good? I deal in comics as well as old toys, advertising, sports and other “Americana”. I can usually find something cool to go home with. Nothing like the old days but usually worth my time. 

On 11/28/2021 at 2:46 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

As a $1 bin diver, I'd grab this every time, but I'm also a big DC guy. I think it's a sweet grab for a buck!

Most of the time, I'm digging in $1 bins for 3 reasons: 1 - to find stuff to flip so I can buy more books for my collection; 2 - to fill holes in my collection; or 3 - to find readers that I don't mind beating up for stories I want to read, either multiple times or for the first time. This would easily fit into #2 or #3 for my criteria!

On 11/28/2021 at 2:49 PM, Jesse-Lee said:
On 11/28/2021 at 2:46 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

As a $1 bin diver, I'd grab this every time, but I'm also a big DC guy. I think it's a sweet grab for a buck!

Most of the time, I'm digging in $1 bins for 3 reasons: 1 - to find stuff to flip so I can buy more books for my collection; 2 - to fill holes in my collection; or 3 - to find readers that I don't mind beating up for stories I want to read, either multiple times or for the first time. This would easily fit into #2 or #3 for my criteria!

I feel you, me as well. Sometimes if a bin find is the right one, I don't even bother to upgrade. Unfortunately, or lately, I've feel that I've passed on enough!
To the point that "what I've passed on" has only gone on to be found by others, which has created competition. We all need that sometimes, but I think also what I've passed on and ask the Lord why? Why did I not pick that up? lol 

It's hard, but just have to put in the work and keep those eyes peeled. I at least feel, another day another dollar will still ring true bin diving. Given that it seemed rare some time ago :eek: 

On 11/28/2021 at 2:55 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I feel you, me as well. Sometimes if a bin find is the right one, I don't even bother to upgrade. Unfortunately, or lately, I've feel that I've passed on enough!
To the point that "what I've passed on" has only gone on to be found by others, which has created competition. We all need that sometimes, but I think also what I've passed on and ask the Lord why? Why did I not pick that up? lol 

It's hard, but just have to put in the work and keep those eyes peeled. I at least feel, another day another dollar will still ring true bin diving. Given that it seemed rare some time ago :eek: 

Almost all of my collecting "regrets" have come not from stuff I've sold, but from stuff I could have bought and passed on for whatever reason. I've sold plenty of books without a second thought because that's mostly what pays for my purchases (I subsidize my collecting budget by doing photo shoots as well - my photo shoot money is additional income that my wife and I have agreed is "collection" money). But there are many, many books and lots I can think of where I passed and have since regretted it. So now, if I have the disposable cash and it seems like a good deal, I go for it.

On 11/28/2021 at 3:01 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Almost all of my collecting "regrets" have come not from stuff I've sold, but from stuff I could have bought and passed on for whatever reason. I've sold plenty of books without a second thought because that's mostly what pays for my purchases (I subsidize my collecting budget by doing photo shoots as well - my photo shoot money is additional income that my wife and I have agreed is "collection" money). But there are many, many books and lots I can think of where I passed and have since regretted it. So now, if I have the disposable cash and it seems like a good deal, I go for it.

I haven't sold all that much, but it does ring true, what I've passed on hurts more. Sometimes even funding bigger purchases it makes it that I can't get every deal in the wild, which I regret. 

Not even talking LCS, I'm talking used bookstore, dvd store, and etc

I've tried not being greedy, and if I already have the book in question to let someone else have it. I have to believe that it'll come full circle somehow, and it has. Yet still, some things just "feel" like doh! doh lol 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/28/2021 at 1:08 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I haven't sold all that much, but it does ring true, what I've passed on hurts more. Sometimes even funding bigger purchases it makes it that I can't get every deal in the wild, which I regret. 

I've tried not being greedy, and if I already have the book in question to let someone else have it. I have to believe that it'll come full circle somehow, and it has. Yet still, some things just "feel" like doh! doh lol 

I don’t like being greedy either. I never mind leaving a little for the next guy when selling depending what I have into it. I never had the desire to just wipe out a box when buying.

But, the past couple years have changed me a bit. Most people I run into are mostly in it for themselves. Society has really turned into a “Me” world. Seems like everyone is now a flipper not a collector. 

So, if I see something I want or can make a buck on, I grab it. Sadly, it is the way the world has gone. 

On 11/28/2021 at 3:00 PM, Robot Man said:

I don’t like being greedy either. I never mind leaving a little for the next guy when selling depending what I have into it. I never had the desire to just wipe out a box when buying.

But, the past couple years have changed me a bit. Most people I run into are mostly in it for themselves. Society has really turned into a “Me” world. Seems like everyone is now a flipper not a collector. 

So, if I see something I want or can make a buck on, I grab it. Sadly, it is the way the world has gone. 

The flipper:collector ratio has really grown since CGC.  It used to be the case that you had to take time to learn about comics, how to grade, what was worth owning, and that gave you some vested interest in the books.  Now it's just turning commodities.  

On 11/28/2021 at 5:00 PM, Robot Man said:

My approach is - I don't cherry-pick.  I only go buy the entire collection as posted for sale (unless it's something that's really out of my price point, which is very, very rare).  I hate the guys that strip a collection of whatever key and semi key they can find to leave the collector with a pile of books they can't move/sell.  

Edited by spreads

On 11/29/2021 at 8:31 AM, buttock said:

The flipper:collector ratio has really grown since CGC.  It used to be the case that you had to take time to learn about comics, how to grade, what was worth owning, and that gave you some vested interest in the books.  Now it's just turning commodities.  

And it is all about doing it as fast as possible. No savoring or enjoying the buy. Just turn and burn. And on to the next transaction. These people are like crack addicts. It’s all about the quick rush.

There are a number of them in my area. Like vultures. No way, do I care about supplying their fix.

There is a guy here that makes a show or flea market buy that often goes to his car, takes a picture on his car seat and posts it on eBay. He rarely looks inside the books he posts.

Therefore, I feel great when I pick a box clean. I also don’t feel bad squeezing every dime I can out of folks like this. 

On 11/28/2021 at 4:08 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Inventory turnover is so important, I can't stress this enough.  Especially if $1 bin diving could be time better spent elsewhere getting sales......