• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK # 1 CLUB
21 21

3,619 posts in this topic

CGC 4.5 CR-OW $10,600

Voldie 6.5 OW-W $20,525

Yet another terrible result for Voldemort. doh!

-J.

The 4.5 is lower than any sale on GPA in more than a year.

The 6.5 is 20%+ below the last CGC sale. Even factoring in a 10% decline to account for some overall back sliding in price for the book (which may or may not be a trend) that's still 10%+ below a comparable CGC slab.

-J.

CGC 4.5 CR-OW $10,600

Voldie 6.5 OW-W $20,525

-J.

The 6.5 is 20%+ below the last CGC sale. Even factoring in a 10% decline to account for some overall back sliding in price for the book (which may or may not be a trend) that's still 10%+ below a comparable CGC slab.

-J.

I sent 5 comics to V last year to try out the service and now I'm regretting it. I may just crack them all open and send to CGC. Why are people still sending to V when it seems like prices are consistently lower?

CGC 4.5 CR-OW $10,600

Voldie 6.5 OW-W $20,525

-J.

-J.

I sent 5 comics to V last year to try out the service and now I'm regretting it. I may just crack them all open and send to CGC. Why are people still sending to V when it seems like prices are consistently lower?

Because until recently there wasn't enough pricing data to establish the general trend. Going forward this will be baked into expectations and drive submitting choices. The seemingly slightly elevated grades from V would seem to make them a favorite of sellers, but not if the selling prices don't reflect trust in the grading.

CGC 4.5 CR-OW $10,600

Voldie 6.5 OW-W $20,525

-J.

-J.

Because until recently there wasn't enough pricing data to establish the general trend. Going forward this will be baked into expectations and drive submitting choices. The seemingly slightly elevated grades from V would seem to make them a favorite of sellers, but not if the selling prices don't reflect trust in the grading.

Funny thing, I think V just raised their prices across the board.

Poked around a bit on the indispensable cgcdata.com looking at IH 1 data. In Jan 2014, just before (I think!) the book began to really take off there were 354 blue label copies in the grades 3.0 to 6.5 (inclusive). As of a couple of days ago there were 440.

Now some of this increase is probably spurious because it represents resubs within this grading range, and I haven't looked at other books for a comparison (too lazy!). But if we are looking for an explanation for the book cooling in this grade range (if it has!), then this strong supply response (about a 24% increase in a bit less than two years) may be part of the explanation. The increase in the 3.0 to 5.0 range was even larger--about 30%.

Yes but still a extremely cheap copy! I am a newbie do pence copies value a lot less than cent ones?

There are a couple of threads over in Comics General on this topic. There was some disagreement, but as I recall several UK dealers indicated the discount is typically around 20%. Others believe the discount is higher. A couple of people noted that there are collectors who prefer the pence copies.