• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,101 posts in this topic

I've been busy the past few months :grin:

A few new additions to my Pre-Robin Run:

IMG_2966.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg

the 33 and 35 are noted as SS & OO Jerry Robinson - his personal file copies and his only copy of 33 and 35 ("From the collection of Jerry Robinson" on the labels) and come straight from the presses of the DC offices when he worked there in '39 - there provenance gives me goosebumps and my wallet heart attacks.

Picked up the 33 and 35 from a fellow boardie, the 36 from eBay, and the 37 from a boardie as well!

Awesome stuff. Some of the best looking lower grade books I've ever seen. What makes the 33 and 35 1.0s?

Both books have low PQ, and spine wear. The 33 has a few inch spine split at the bottom to the bottom staple and the 35 has a few inch spine splits along the cover spine, but both covers are still firmly attached. But I agree, never see 1.0's this good. The back covers look just as good as the front.

CGC is killing books on PQ and splits now-a-days.

Frick Alex. That's a great Tec run there. Glad to see you snagged some of the Jerry Robinson collection books. I saw a few of them at the NY show including the Batman #1s. When you think of the history behind the books and that one of the three *big* Batman creators owned and signed your copy?

Coolness.

That's what motivated the purchase. Jerry Robinson = a very cool 1 of the 3, he polished the gem which we all know today.

I've become greatly interested in him and am reading the Jerry Robinson: Ambassador of comics currently.

Didn't you meet him at the con!?!?

This should answer your question:

DSCN6825.jpg

DSCN6824.jpg

:grin:

He was sitting at the Comic Connect booth with the original artwork for Superman 14 and Tec 69. That ALONE was amazing to see firsthand, but I was lucky enough to be able to talk with him for a few minutes as well since there wasn't anyone there waiting. I can tell you that he spent an all-nighter working on Tec 37 (doing the inks I believe) and he was really excited when I let him look through my Batman 11 which he lit up and asked if he could take a look through it. I laughed and said "Are you kidding??? PLEASE do!" Seems that this was one of his favorite Batman books and if I had it in front of me, I could tell you which panels he enjoyed doing most. :cool:

Honestly, meeting him was my #1 top priority at this con and he was initially looking like he wouldn't attend. Suffice to say, I was ridiculously jazzed when it turned out he was going to be in attendance.

Frick Alex. That's a great Tec run there. Glad to see you snagged some of the Jerry Robinson collection books. I saw a few of them at the NY show including the Batman #1s. When you think of the history behind the books and that one of the three *big* Batman creators owned and signed your copy?

Coolness.

That's what motivated the purchase. Jerry Robinson = a very cool 1 of the 3, he polished the gem which we all know today.

I've become greatly interested in him and am reading the Jerry Robinson: Ambassador of comics currently.

Didn't you meet him at the con!?!?

This should answer your question:

DSCN6825.jpg

DSCN6824.jpg

:grin:

He was sitting at the Comic Connect booth with the original artwork for Superman 14 and Tec 69. That ALONE was amazing to see firsthand, but I was lucky enough to be able to talk with him for a few minutes as well since there wasn't anyone there waiting. I can tell you that he spent an all-nighter working on Tec 37 (doing the inks I believe) and he was really excited when I let him look through my Batman 11 which he lit up and asked if he could take a look through it. I laughed and said "Are you kidding??? PLEASE do!" Seems that this was one of his favorite Batman books and if I had it in front of me, I could tell you which panels he enjoyed doing most. :cool:

Honestly, meeting him was my #1 top priority at this con and he was initially looking like he wouldn't attend. Suffice to say, I was ridiculously jazzed when it turned out he was going to be in attendance.

That is way too cool! To have met the man! Such an important figure to all comics. And talking to him in person about Batman 11 is the closest any of us will get to "being there" in 1940 when it was all originally going down.

That's beyond words kind of cool to have met him. Very interesting about the Tec 37 all nighter!

If I had Jerry Robinson thumb up one of my old Bat books I probably would have a heart attack........well I guess he did thumb up the 33 and 35 above quite often over his 70 years of ownership. :o

Love the pics as well btw! (worship)

Really nice books there. Congratulations.

You closing in on a full Pre robin bat tec run?

As far as 28-37 go, I'm missing two, and ironically of those two one is the "easy / cheap" one of the run and the other "hardest / most expensive" of the run. :eek:

IMG_2966.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg

the 33 and 35 are noted as SS & OO Jerry Robinson - his personal file copies and his only copy of 33 and 35 ("From the collection of Jerry Robinson" on the labels) and come straight from the presses of the DC offices when he worked there in '39 - there provenance gives me goosebumps and my wallet heart attacks.

Picked up the 33 and 35 from a fellow boardie, the 36 from eBay, and the 37 from a boardie as well!

(worship)

If ever there were a group shot to drag me out of my hole...this would be it! (thumbs u

Congratulations Alex. :applause:

Any collector would be privileged to own any one of the four, and you may even have another Pre-Robin Tec or two (or three, four...it's hard to keep track these days) to complement the bunch.

Very, VERY impressive if I do say so myself.

I'm a bit partial of course to the 33...it's kind of an important issue; but they're all magnificent. :golfclap:

Great story, Mac Man!

Seems that this was one of his favorite Batman books and if I had it in front of me, I could tell you which panels he enjoyed doing most.
Any chance you can share those with us? (Page and panel number citations would be greatly appreciated!)

Great story, Mac Man!

Seems that this was one of his favorite Batman books and if I had it in front of me, I could tell you which panels he enjoyed doing most.
Any chance you can share those with us? (Page and panel number citations would be greatly appreciated!)

Yeah, I'd love to hear more about what he said too, Forrest. Plus, you should get it down before you forget it!

IMG_2966.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg

(worship)

If ever there were a group shot to drag me out of my hole...this would be it! (thumbs u

Congratulations Alex. :applause:

Any collector would be privileged to own any one of the four, and you may even have another Pre-Robin Tec or two (or three, four...it's hard to keep track these days) to complement the bunch.

Very, VERY impressive if I do say so myself.

I'm a bit partial of course to the 33...it's kind of an important issue; but they're all magnificent. :golfclap:

Thank you for your kind words, I'm beyond thrilled. :)

Great story, Mac Man!

Yeah, I'd love to hear more about what he said too, Forrest. Plus, you should get it down before you forget it!

+11111

Great story, Mac Man!

+11111

I have to get a little work done on some course prep for next semester (teaching a new course, so that always chews up time). I do need to dig into my books and do a little rebagging so I'll pull the Batman 11 and see if I can point you to the pages and panels.

I'm also thinking about buying one of the DC archives that Dynamic Forces set up with Bob Kane to sign a few years before he died, and then see if it'd be possible to get Jerry Robinson's signature next to it. But... might be a little tricky to make that happen.

IMG_2966.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg

nice Alex...put your 31 in that picture...you just need the 27 and 29 now. (thumbs u Edited by Primetime

Great story, Mac Man!

+11111

I have to get a little work done on some course prep for next semester (teaching a new course, so that always chews up time). I do need to dig into my books and do a little rebagging so I'll pull the Batman 11 and see if I can point you to the pages and panels.

I'm also thinking about buying one of the DC archives that Dynamic Forces set up with Bob Kane to sign a few years before he died, and then see if it'd be possible to get Jerry Robinson's signature next to it. But... might be a little tricky to make that happen.

Its probably easier than you think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BATMAN-ARCHIVES-1-SIGNED-BOB-KANE-DYNAMIC-FORCES-/150502143403?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230aa075ab

And it looks like Mr. Robinson is going to be at the wizard con in the big apple in spring.

Great story, Mac Man!

+11111

Its probably easier than you think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BATMAN-ARCHIVES-1-SIGNED-BOB-KANE-DYNAMIC-FORCES-/150502143403?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230aa075ab

And it looks like Mr. Robinson is going to be at the wizard con in the big apple in spring.

Huh... I didn't know Jerry was going to be at the Big Apple Show, nor did I realize it was in April. Very cool... hm And I've been in touch with Bob about a copy--he sells them cheaper directly through his website (about $20-30 less).

And guys--I promise, I'm going through the Batman 11 tonight since I have no grading to do or sick wife to take care of! (thumbs u