• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,787 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Chipewah said:

Hey fellow members, I don't usually post a lot on here, mostly look for comics to buy and just read the posts, but i cam across this thread and thought this would be a good place to post this question.

Superior Spiderman #22 (J Scott Campbell variant) has skyrocketed on eBay.  The last time i looked at it, it was going for about $125 unsigned, and now there are two going for around $700!

Can anyone tell me if this is just recent or has it gone up over time while I wasn't paying attention?

I can only guess this is because of all the Venom variants that are being released at the moment?

Any ideas/opinions would be appreciated.

"Going for" and "asking for" are two different things.  Looks like one sold for $390 towards the end of January

CHU announcement about Low by Remender

Normally wouldn't think much of these sales except Seven to Eternity blew up and this was a better story imo. I don't remember the print run but a buddy got me the SDCC #1. The number on that was 500. Keep your eyes on the $1 boxes for copies of #1A. That will likely be the book to get if this breaks out. 2c

Better link to Low #1 sales on ebay

Edited by the authority

20 minutes ago, the authority said:

Normally wouldn't think much of these sales except Seven to Eternity blew up and this was a better story imo. I don't remember the print run but a buddy got me the SDCC #1. The number on that was 500. Keep your eyes on the $1 boxes for copies of #1A. That will likely be the book to get if this breaks out. 2c

I really wanted to like Low, but I couldn't get past the artwork... which is weird, it's obviously beautiful, but ... in a way where I often couldn't tell what the heck I was looking at. I chalked that one up to being my problem, and not the book's problem.

I had the same feeling early on though I thought the story was good enough that I'd read on for a bit. Eventually, it cleared up for me. I can't really say if the lines got cleaner, the colors became more separated, or if I just got used to it. All I know is that it started to click fo me. lol

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:00 PM, SquareChaos said:

I really wanted to like Low, but I couldn't get past the artwork... which is weird, it's obviously beautiful, but ... in a way where I often couldn't tell what the heck I was looking at. I chalked that one up to being my problem, and not the book's problem.

I have this problem with new books a lot. I wanted to like Old Guard as well, but hate the art. Pretty soon I will have no choice, because I am seeing more and more of what I call bad rushed art. It seems to be the staple anymore.

25 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I have this problem with new books a lot. I wanted to like Old Guard as well, but hate the art. Pretty soon I will have no choice, because I am seeing more and more of what I call bad rushed art. It seems to be the staple anymore.

There is a lot of bad art out there, but I don't believe Tocchini's art in Low is an example of that... certainly not across the board, though there are some panels I'd point out that just don't make any sense (to me) no matter how long I stare at them. Most of the art is actually beautiful, but often abstract and softened, an effect that I imagine they went for due to the setting.

11 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

There is a lot of bad art out there, but I don't believe Tocchini's art in Low is an example of that... certainly not across the board, though there are some panels I'd point out that just don't make any sense (to me) no matter how long I stare at them. Most of the art is actually beautiful, but often abstract and softened, an effect that I imagine they went for due to the setting.

I held off on reading Low for a while due to an initial opinion of Tocchini's art from a DC superhero book from a while back that was a complete mis-match for his style...Ion, maybe...or Infinity, Inc...I can't remember.

I'm glad I took another look however, as this title I find perfectly matches his style.  Yeah, it can be confusing at times, but I just chalk that up to living underwater and roll with it.  This is one of those books that I usually go back and thumb through after the initial read to appreciate the artwork again.

On 3/1/2017 at 10:01 AM, Mapleleafvann said:

MCS ripping people off?  Say it isn't so!  You would never be able to tell from their self-published reviews!

For what it's worth, the items linked to here are all consignments (highlighted in yellow and labeled as consignments on our web site). Consignors set all those prices, we do not. Adjusting our consignment policies to rein in any ridiculous prices is something we're currently working on.

As for "self-published reviews":

If there's anything further I can help you with involving a previous order or interaction with us, I would be happy to discuss it with you via PM.

4 hours ago, mycomicshop said:

For what it's worth, the items linked to here are all consignments (highlighted in yellow and labeled as consignments on our web site). Consignors set all those prices, we do not. Adjusting our consignment policies to rein in any ridiculous prices is something we're currently working on.

As for "self-published reviews":

If there's anything further I can help you with involving a previous order or interaction with us, I would be happy to discuss it with you via PM.

I don't PM,  how about letting me use store credit to buy consignment items? ;)

On 3/3/2017 at 9:38 PM, the authority said:

I missed that one. Send me a couple copies so I can be in the loop again! lol

20 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Overall, Old Guard's art worked well enough for me.  But I do get irritated when it's hard to identify the character later in the story (typically because they look too similar to other characters).  Using Old Guard as an example, we don't know the characters yet, but really needed to know the girl from the last page was one from earlier in the book.

Patrick

20 hours ago, MrWeen said:

I don't PM,  how about letting me use store credit to buy consignment items? ;)

Sorry :) We don't offer that because the margin we have on consignments (in the form of the commission we charge) is significantly smaller than the average margin on retail items we own outright.

On 3/5/2017 at 10:37 PM, Aweandlorder said:

One of the local shops has had this cover up on the wall at $80 since it came out, and just recently bumped it up to $100... wondering if I should get it tomorrow. I already have one that I bought day of for around $40. Not sure if it'll maintain its value though.

47 minutes ago, BishopT said:

One of the local shops has had this cover up on the wall at $80 since it came out, and just recently bumped it up to $100... wondering if I should get it tomorrow. I already have one that I bought day of for around $40. Not sure if it'll maintain its value though.

Well think about it. You are going to pay a "bleed price" at $100. It is Hughes, but its not a 1st appearance only a cover variant. Its a 1/25 variant so while the print run for the book was low, its not super rare.

You will make at least $20 off it if its NM after fees. If its better then NM you might pull in more. Nothing wrong with taking a profit on one of them especially if you can sell it and cover the other purchase.

Or you can really roll the dice and send it in.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 3/7/2017 at 3:36 PM, BishopT said:

A fool's errand:

-you should have bought it on day one;

-it's been on the wall for how long?

-the price just went up?

All indicators against buying it.

On 3/7/2017 at 4:36 PM, BishopT said:

Well, the book is going for $360 in 9.8, so if it's in 9.6 or 9.8 condition get it for $100. 

Yeah, I didn't get it... just kind of a spur of the moment thought since I see how well this book is doing, now. I'm still fine with the one I got on day one, probably going to just keep it for the PC at this point.

Any thoughts on whether Rick and Morty #1 can maintain its pretty crazy sudden price jump? For a book to go from the $30ish level to over $100 in some cases seems pretty crazy for what it actually is. The blank and ratio variants seem to be nothing but money right now, even the BAM/2NC variant that was a dime a dozen around here a year or two ago has jumped up significantly.

Edited by BishopT