• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feb Heritage Auction

612 posts in this topic

buttock, this upcoming auction is very historic, 5 years from now, EVERYBODY will say the "would of" or "could of" or "should of"............Billy Wright is just like the church,SF, and AC collections, they have a Pedigree and stand above ALL others...in our field.

buttock, this upcoming auction is very historic, 5 years from now, EVERYBODY will say the "would of" or "could of" or "should of"............Billy Wright is just like the church,SF, and AC collections, they have a Pedigree and stand above ALL others...in our field.

The Billy Wright books are a wonderful collection of hard to find comics, but they don't hold a candle to Church and SF from a condition standpoint. It seems like most of the books have spine splits and other spine wear.

But will they say "would have", "could have", or "should have" though?

Some will. Others will say "would've" or "could've" or should've"

The Billy Wright books are a wonderful collection of hard to find comics, but they don't hold a candle to Church and SF from a condition standpoint. It seems like most of the books have spine splits and other spine wear.

I noticed that as well. hm

Wonder if CGC will respond to grading note requests on such short notice?

Judging from what I'm seeing this Heritage auction may be more entertaining as a spectator sport. :popcorn:

You don't even need to get that detailed. They're not ALL 9.0 and up. Both the SF and Church collections have such high overall quality they compare better to Silver Age pedigrees than to other Golden Age collections.

Also, while the number is high for what they've been doing recently, Heritage used to hold larger signature auctions, so this one has a long way to go to be a record. #820 (the thickest single catalog on my shelf) had over over 2500 lots. There might be a multi-catalog auction with even more lots.

Some will. Others will say "would've" or "could've" or should've"

Na, more like "woulda, coulda, shoulda - thank god I didnt!"

You don't even need to get that detailed. They're not ALL 9.0 and up. Both the SF and Church collections have such high overall quality they compare better to Silver Age pedigrees than to other Golden Age collections.

Maybe it's just me, but from the scans I've seen many of the Billy Wright books seem over-graded. Some have even been elevated to highest graded copy status while pedigreed and non-pedigreed under-copies have a better overall appearance. Of course, structural issues can't be fully assessed from scans, but I suspect page quality was the primary grading criterion for this collection. (shrug)

Now I'd never knock the importance of page quality as a grading factor, but I have to wonder how many prospective bidders are that interested in ogling their new love interest's pretty OW to White undies. :blush: ...After all, cracking out books to examine page quality would mean resubmitting and potentially jeopardizes the pedigree/grade status.

If you think you are gonna see major original owner collections with 45 of the top 100 overstreet books, it is not gonna happen my friend, do not not to take auction this for granted batman fan

If I have learned anything over the past 40 years of collecting, its that the availability of "rare" books is almost infinite. 30 years ago, it was real hard to find stuff, 10 years ago, much easier, now, no problem. As long as you have the money, it can be found with little effort (I know there are a few exceptions, but in general terms). A small portion of the Billy Books will get locked away, but a lot will be resurfacing over the next few years. Big question is will you have to pay more or less? hm

Well, if you take a look at some of the Church GL's that came out a few years ago or to some of the other noted high profile OO sales, the news is not necessarily good all the time.

When these books are released into the marketplace as part of a larger grouping with all of the associated and supporting hype, the prices are generally quite high. When they are resold back into the marketplace as individual books without the associated hype, the prices generally seem to indicate a continuing downward trend.

So if you want to pick up some sample Billy Wright books for your personal collection, maybe a few years from now might be a better time from a buyer's point of view. hm

But will they say "would have", "could have", or "should have" though?

I always wonder, when I see guys write the words "could of," what they think it means. And, whether they've read enough in their lvies that they've even seen the contractions "could've" and "should've." If they haven't seen it, I wonder how they could reach a certain age without ever coming across that in print. And, if they have, I wonder "What did they think it meant? Did they think some poor fool was misspelling 'could of'?

my point is that people have obviously been spelling according to how they hear words for a long long time and the education system was well aware of it.. So you are absolutely right: don't these people ever READ? Even in comics they always got this right!