• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,844 posts in this topic

On 12/27/2021 at 2:11 AM, jick said:

It was also perhaps the first direct reboot of Superman, or perhaps any major A-list comic character.  This is what started a slew of reboots.  I think Superman's original has been rebooted 100 times since this one.

Of course Superman went through an indirect, soft reboot when there was that transition from Earth One and Earth Two crossing over from the "leaping" Superman of Siegel and Schuster to the "flying" Superman -mostly from the Boring to Swan era?

But Man of Steel 1 is the first comic to make reboots fashionable, and it was a template for thousands of other reboots that have since followed - both from Marvel and DC.  So I guess it is a key issue in that way.  And the population is only 74 at 9.8 which is crazy low!

One cover is considered classic/iconic the other is not. The print runs on both for their time were HUGE. Nearly glut era in number.  Most collectors from back in the day have multiple copies of each, I know I have 4 or 5 of both covers.  Some entities are sitting dozens of long boxes full of both #1 covers. Now that the issue is actually worth slabbing expect to see that number of 74 jump in leaps and bounds.

In the short term this may be a good book to sell while it's status is warm, if the census jumps during the next year expect a frost.  It's high print run DC after all :)  How many folks are glad they spent $350-$400 on Suicide Squad #1, even with Big Budget Films the last as recently as Summer 2021, the book now sits unsold at $150 in CGC 9.8 on eBay.

P.S. As I recall about a year later the changes watering down Superman were not thought of too highly among fans and collectors.  It has it's place in history but it's not an 80's DC Flagship Character Classic like Miller's Batman Year One or Moore's Killing Joke.  At least John Byrne displayed reverence for the character and did not change Superman's costume as Lee, Didio and John's did out of pure hubris as well as "bonus padding". Those of you who work in Fortune 200 Corporations may understand the later.

Edited by MAR1979

On 12/27/2021 at 11:01 AM, MAR1979 said:

At least John Byrne displayed reverence for the character and did not change Superman's costume as Lee, Didio and John's did out of pure hubris as well as "bonus padding". Those of you who work in Fortune 200 Corporations may understand the later.

I'm not a fan of the redesign or the creators behind it. But my understanding is that they redesigned the costume for trademark/IP reasons. There was a lawsuit with the Siegal and Schuster estates if I recall and they didn't want to risk losing control of certain rights, so they changed the costume to make sure the current comics and merchandise look was something they had full control over - which meant moving it further away from the original design.

Anyway, on topic, Man of Steel #1 seems like a silly thing. Get while the getting's good I guess.

On 12/26/2021 at 10:32 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Yup

1st variant cover (thumbsu

There is also a CPV. 

I was always fond of the Kryptonian architecture and general designs that originated in that book, through the early 2000's when they did yet another soft reboot. 

I've seen many copies of both covers in dollar bins and HPB over the years.  'In grade' is probably appropriate when talking about the value.

On 12/27/2021 at 12:48 PM, FlyingDonut said:

No chance. None. Zero. This is the very definition of a SELL NOW book. I have seen multiple unopened cases of Man of Steel 1 - it is a cheap slab and will get done fast. 9.8s cross $200? People will make them left and right - the book will have absolutely no legs. None.

Donut is right. This book exists in crazy high numbers

No chance. None. Zero. This is the very definition of a SELL NOW book. I have seen multiple unopened cases of Man of Steel 1 - it is a cheap slab and will get done fast. 9.8s cross $200? People will make them left and right - the book will have absolutely no legs. None.

Man of Steel 1 and heating up don’t belong in the same sentence.. at one point MoS 18 but that’s about it in recent time 

On 12/27/2021 at 1:01 PM, Rip said:

Donut is right. This book exists in crazy high numbers

Actually, he's defined the "window" . . . :bigsmile:

On 12/29/2021 at 12:42 PM, rexinnih said:

What's the deal with Heathcliff 12? Doesn't look like he's violating a seal or anything. :nyah:

Assuming it's for the Marvel 25th anniversary frame cover. That said, I only saw 1 copy at or over $100 on Ebay, so not sure how comfortable that price is.