• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

On 4/27/2022 at 8:18 PM, MAR1979 said:

General question: Does a single sale of Copper book  qualify for the title of the topic?

Of course it does, but if you really looked at the books you characterize as one-offs you will see that most of them come right from these pages. (shrug) Do you mean you want to list CGC-slabbed books only? Do they have to sell for a gazillion dollars? Just what is your point exactly?

I'll beat the anticipated response from the peanut gallery . . . 

POWER TO THE PEOPLE, RIGHT ON! :peace:

On 4/27/2022 at 10:18 PM, MAR1979 said:

General question: Does a single sale of Copper book  qualify for the title of the topic?

Heating up or selling well in regards to Copper I feel needs to represent at least small handful of sales say 5 in month (or day or week).   The sale of a single raw copper book in my opinion does not qualify as hot nor does a single sale of a graded. 

Of course a single sold copy (assuming it really was sold) can be used in price charting, but the topic of his thread is "Copper's Heating/Selling Well" not "collecting one off sales data for analysis" . That really needs to be it's own separate thread.

Bottom line one or 2 copies of copper book sold in a month or many months, simply does not mean heating up or selling well!   

All that said, I feel the thread starter should make the call. Paging;   @fastballspecial

The point of these threads is to discuss issues that have increased significantly in sale price and/or volume. It's not a difficult concept (for most).

On 4/27/2022 at 8:34 PM, Lazyboy said:

The point of these threads is to discuss issues that have increased significantly in sale price and/or volume. It's not a difficult concept (for most).

Well that eliminates virtually 80% of the posts here. :shiftyeyes: (and quite a few of yours.) :bigsmile:

On 4/27/2022 at 10:18 PM, MAR1979 said:

Heating up or selling well in regards to Copper I feel needs to represent at least small handful of sales say 5 in month (or day or week).   The sale of a single raw copper book in my opinion does not qualify as hot nor does a single sale of a graded. 

Of course a single sold copy (assuming it really was sold) can be used in price charting, but the topic of his thread is "Copper's Heating/Selling Well" not "collecting one off sales data for analysis" . That really needs to be it's own separate thread.

Bottom line one or 2 copies of copper book sold in a month or many months, simply does not mean heating up or selling well!   

All that said, I feel the thread starter should make the call. Paging;   @fastballspecial

No it does not most of the time. I don't buy into the argument that it leads a trend. 
Especially when the price is 3x what other high grade books sell for. 

What good sellers look for are patterns. I prefer to think of myself like that instead of 
speculator. That being said I never pass up high grade copper anymore cheap and I have
books I acquire that I am speculating on.

On 4/28/2022 at 7:05 AM, fastballspecial said:

Sure go ahead and lead the discussion. We will wait.

On 4/27/2022 at 8:40 PM, manetteska said:

Go for it. 

I'm more of a lurker, really, but love to gain information from the knowledgeable folks here.  I was just following the suggestion/rules that @CGC Mikelaid out regarding keeping things on-topic.  I figured the pages-long catfight (including several inflammatory personal attacks) that's been going on here didn't qualify.  

But if I'm out of line then please disregard and carry on.  (shrug)

On 4/28/2022 at 9:23 AM, djzombi said:

I'm more of a lurker, really, but love to gain information from the knowledgeable folks here.  I was just following the suggestion/rules that @CGC Mikelaid out regarding keeping things on-topic.  I figured the pages-long catfight (including several inflammatory personal attacks) that's been going on here didn't qualify.  

The reality is things have been very slow in terms of hot books popping up (especially Copper Age books).  Keys are still doing great (especially Bronze and Silver) but there really has not been a copper book exploding in price in awhile.  When things are slow then usually things go a side route until the next craze kicks in.  I'm not a huge fan of Divad's method of posting up his couple hits but at least it does bring some discussion to the thread rather then it falling to the third page and disappearing.  

On 4/28/2022 at 9:27 AM, 1Cool said:

The reality is things have been very slow in terms of hot books popping up (especially Copper Age books).  Keys are still doing great (especially Bronze and Silver) but there really has not been a copper book exploding in price in awhile.  When things are slow then usually things go a side route until the next craze kicks in. 

The best (safe) investment for the remainder of April 2022 are USA Series I bonds. Rates not only at a generational high but at an all-time high!  Hurry folks they must be purchased today and tomorrow only. I do wish the purchase limits were higher...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidkudla/2022/04/25/strike-now-on-i-bonds/?sh=2eb58b601c61

https://clark.com/save-money/best-time-to-buy-series-i-savings-bonds/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2022/04/27/only-4-days-left-to-buy-i-bonds-paying-85/?sh=31761cf52f6a

Are Series I savings bonds interest taxable?

The interest that your savings bonds earn is subject to

• federal income tax, but not to state or local income tax

Heck of a lot easier money than selling raw books on Ebay for $30-$80 dollars and rather inflation proof :) For better or worse and contrary to the "working hard" paradigm that many subscribe, most "real money" generally made in this world is with the least effort.

Edited by MAR1979

On 4/28/2022 at 9:02 AM, MAR1979 said:

The best (safe) investment for the remainder of April 2022 are USA Series I bonds.  Not only at a generational high but at an all-time high!  Hurry folks they must be purchased today and tomorrow only. I do wish the purchase limits were higher...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidkudla/2022/04/25/strike-now-on-i-bonds/?sh=2eb58b601c61

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2022/04/27/only-4-days-left-to-buy-i-bonds-paying-85/?sh=31761cf52f6a

Heck of a lot easier money than selling raw books on Ebay for $30-$80 dollars and rather inflation proof :) For better or worse and contrary to the "working hard" paradigm that many subscribe, most "real money" generally made in this world is with the least effort.

What's the first appearance of a USA Series I bond? Will have to check my long-boxes...

On 4/28/2022 at 10:09 AM, manetteska said:

What's the first appearance of a USA Series I bond? Will have to check my long-boxes...

1998, but Bonds, like Barry, fall under trading card (non-sport) auspices and are called "Rookies:whee:

Edited by MAR1979

On 4/28/2022 at 5:47 AM, Brock said:

I think a single book can be helpful, as it always has the possibility that it signals an emerging trend. A few months ago, I flagged Adam Hughes’ Scandal #1 (Thorby Comics) here when a copy sold for more than $200, and took some heat for it (it’s a a one off, it will never sell for that prices again, it’s an outlier, etc.). But the copies available since have all gone for much more…

I’m sure there are times I’ve been wrong on some of these, but it seems to me that the real value in this thread is being ahead of the curve, not trailing behind.

Sure, it's possibly valid for low-print indies. Then again, stuff like that being mentioned here could influence the market more than the sale itself.

On 4/28/2022 at 4:34 PM, Lazyboy said:

Sure, it's possibly valid for low-print indies. Then again, stuff like that being mentioned here could influence the market more than the sale itself.

Or Pizzazz #1, I did learn a good lesson from that!

On 4/28/2022 at 8:23 AM, djzombi said:

So what you are saying is you want us to provide information/discussion to you, but none in return?
Did I read that wrong anyone?

On 4/28/2022 at 7:02 AM, MAR1979 said:

The best (safe) investment for the remainder of April 2022 are USA Series I bonds. Rates not only at a generational high but at an all-time high!  Hurry folks they must be purchased today and tomorrow only. I do wish the purchase limits were higher...

Are Series I savings bonds interest taxable?

The interest that your savings bonds earn is subject to

• federal income tax, but not to state or local income tax

But are they heating up on eBay??? :bigsmile:

On 4/28/2022 at 3:47 AM, Brock said:

I think a single book can be helpful, as it always has the possibility that it signals an emerging trend. A few months ago, I flagged Adam Hughes’ Scandal #1 (Thorby Comics) here when a copy sold for more than $200, and took some heat for it (it’s a a one off, it will never sell for that prices again, it’s an outlier, etc.). But the copies available since have all gone for much more…

I’m sure there are times I’ve been wrong on some of these, but it seems to me that the real value in this thread is being ahead of the curve, not trailing behind.

I think it's pretty cool that we have some big-time sellers that participate here (and admittedly, I am the smallest of small-fries . . .) but we are all here because we love the books. Period. :sumo: :peace: