• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

Well I finally did it, I got all the hearts/Gold Skulltulas and all side missions in 'Ocarina of Time' and I can now say I've completed everything in both OoT and Majora's Mask. :acclaim:

Is Diablo 3 worth getting for single player campaign mode, or is it designed to be primarily co-operative / online?

Since this is the "all purpose video game thread":

A little over a week ago I picked up an as-is lot of video game consoles on CL. About $65 for 15 systems, which came out to less than $5 per console.

After testing I found I had two working original X-Boxes (plus three more that have drive errors), 4 mostly busted original Playstations, a PSOne, a GameCube, A Dreamcast, parts of an SNES, something called a Unisonic Tournament 2000 (or close to that), and a Sega Genesis V2.

I ended up keeping one the nicest of the working X-Boxes and the Dreamcast, am giving the Unisonic thing (comes with a giant rifle attachment) to a friend, and should make most of my money back selling the rest of the junkers for parts on eBay.

But the biggest surprise to me was just how many memories the Genesis brought back. I am in love with it. Growing up I had an NES, but I was never really a Nintendo guy. It wasn't until I got a Genesis that I really fell in love with video games.

So, I hooked the bad boy up, found a bunch of games for about $3 each (including like new cases) at the local HPB, and find myself getting re-addicted to Sega! Sure, I had the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for my 360, and sure I know you can get emulators and Coinops and all manner of "free" ways to play as many old Genesis games as I'd like. But there's something about holding that original controller in my hand and popping that little rectangular cart into the console that I find really satisfying.

So now I'm scouring eBay for complete games at a price I want to pay. Some of the ones I remember fondly (the Phantasy Star games) are fairly expensive, but I've been able to pick up a slew of others (mostly superhero titles) for $5 to $10 each complete and in nice shape.

Otherwise, if I'm not playing the Genesis, it's Titanfall on my X-Box One. I was never much of a shooter fan, but this game is ridiculously fun.

The best game for the Genesis was the first Madden game, which allowed you to sack the QB and potentially put him out of the game, and then an ambulance would drive out on the field (running over players and bouncing them off the hood) to pick up the battered QB.

I can remember one night, playing with some friends (All-Madden vs. Dallas Cowboys lol ), with me blitzing Joey Browner (who was a beast back then) and putting the starting QB out on the first play, and then the backup QB out the second play.

After that Dallas put in some girl-armed kicker or something, and he tossed up end-over-end floater balls all game - he was also invulnerable even though we sacked him 100 times or so the rest of the game. Good times.

Anybody play Diablo 3 yet?

en-INTL_L_Xbox360_Diablo_3_FKF-00705_mnco.jpg

Yes. It's a good game though it sucked pretty badly at launch. It has definitely been tweaked into a decent game.

They just put out an expansion but I have not bought it yet. I have friends who are giving it rave reviews.

Is Diablo 3 worth getting for single player campaign mode, or is it designed to be primarily co-operative / online?

I play mostly single player though I play with friends from time to time. You are certainly not tied down waiting on PUGs before you can enjoy the game.

Since this is the "all purpose video game thread":

A little over a week ago I picked up an as-is lot of video game consoles on CL. About $65 for 15 systems, which came out to less than $5 per console.

After testing I found I had two working original X-Boxes (plus three more that have drive errors), 4 mostly busted original Playstations, a PSOne, a GameCube, A Dreamcast, parts of an SNES, something called a Unisonic Tournament 2000 (or close to that), and a Sega Genesis V2.

I ended up keeping one the nicest of the working X-Boxes and the Dreamcast, am giving the Unisonic thing (comes with a giant rifle attachment) to a friend, and should make most of my money back selling the rest of the junkers for parts on eBay.

But the biggest surprise to me was just how many memories the Genesis brought back. I am in love with it. Growing up I had an NES, but I was never really a Nintendo guy. It wasn't until I got a Genesis that I really fell in love with video games.

So, I hooked the bad boy up, found a bunch of games for about $3 each (including like new cases) at the local HPB, and find myself getting re-addicted to Sega! Sure, I had the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for my 360, and sure I know you can get emulators and Coinops and all manner of "free" ways to play as many old Genesis games as I'd like. But there's something about holding that original controller in my hand and popping that little rectangular cart into the console that I find really satisfying.

So now I'm scouring eBay for complete games at a price I want to pay. Some of the ones I remember fondly (the Phantasy Star games) are fairly expensive, but I've been able to pick up a slew of others (mostly superhero titles) for $5 to $10 each complete and in nice shape.

Otherwise, if I'm not playing the Genesis, it's Titanfall on my X-Box One. I was never much of a shooter fan, but this game is ridiculously fun.

Genesis stuff is great value. Have fun!

I play mostly single player though I play with friends from time to time. You are certainly not tied down waiting on PUGs before you can enjoy the game.

Thanks. I thought I'd check first because I got a little caught out when I bought Borderlands, which in single player mode I found to be one of the most tedious games I've ever played, seemingly forever grinding XP to level up.

Thanks. I thought I'd check first because I got a little caught out when I bought Borderlands, which in single player mode I found to be one of the most tedious games I've ever played, seemingly forever grinding XP to level up.

Diablo 3 is fun either single or multi player. It's obviously more fun after you've played a while and amass more items in which to slay demons with. It's a bit of an equipment struggle at first, but it picks up quickly.

Just a heads up that Sony is currently having a "Batman 75th Sale" in the PlayStation Store this week.

For those that like to have the games on their PS3 hard drive, some of the sale prices include the following:

* Batman: Arkham Asylum for $13.99

* (Strangely Batman: Arkham City is not included in the sale)

* Batman: Arkham Origins for $27.99

* Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition for $27.99

* Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe for $13.99

* Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes for $13.99

Just a heads up that Sony is currently having a "Batman 75th Sale" in the PlayStation Store this week.

For those that like to have the games on their PS3 hard drive, some of the sale prices include the following:

* Batman: Arkham Asylum for $13.99

* (Strangely Batman: Arkham City is not included in the sale)FREE for PS+

* Batman: Arkham Origins for $27.99

* Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition for $27.99

* Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe for $13.99

* Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes for $13.99

added info and nice sale they are having

Batman: Arkham City wasn't listed on the sale page and I'm not a PS+ member, so I didn't even notice that it was being offered for free to them. doh!

Thanks for pointing it out.

Bought a huge lot of stuff from a collector last weekend. Included was a Vectrex. This thing is so awesome. Immediately ordered some more games from eBay and NA. Cool system.

I am finally - finally - getting to playing Super Metroid for the first time.

What is this next gen you speak of? But seriously, I wrapped up Portal 1& 2 which were great experiences. I am always a gen or two back, which helps the affordability!

Batman: Arkham City wasn't listed on the sale page and I'm not a PS+ member, so I didn't even notice that it was being offered for free to them. doh!

Thanks for pointing it out.

no problem you should give it a try, i been a members since it started and loving it.