• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,544 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Straw-Man said:

that's the one!

I love it, thanks again:)

ANYTIME you want to get rid of one, lol...let me know. I just don't follow auctions so much anymore, so I look for them here;) I may have to start.

14 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Even in this unjust camp she was still able to walk to the Px on the baseband using the money she probably earned working in the camp and she would still buy comics. You can look at the purchase dates she wrote on them. Some trips to buy were just a few days apart, this was a passion for her.

Great post. 

I can't help but wonder what she was thinking and feeling when she bought some of these wartime books...especially those picturing Japanese people in a caricatured and deeply unfavorable light. Did she consider those portrays justified because of Pearl Harbor? Did she identify with the Americans on the cover, or the Japanese? How did her internment complicate her feelings? Did she dismiss all of it as just entertainment, pick up the comics like any other and write her name across the top? 

Those Timely camp books perfectly encapsulate a period that is deeply sad, but also compelling...and they put a personal face on it all. 

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

@Straw-Man Actually billy, it was in a pile of books I'm sending to cgc, this one to be reslabbed so I could show it. Thank you again ...billy sold me my first "camp" book, there is a lot of competition out there. I haven't focused all that much on really bidding on them, but I may have to;)

8766c5c5-1728-48b8-b963-09c38d1f64a3.jpg

Such an awesome cover! Please post scans of it when it comes back.

After seeing this thread spark in life again, I had to go back and reread the thread again on my lunch break at work. So many amazing books collected and saved in such a grim time of her life really makes this one of the most historically important pedigrees out there in my opinion.

Edited by deadleg

Some fantastic books, congrats to those that hold these gems and thanks for sharing them.  What are thoughts out there on non-camp Okajimas?  For many of us who came to the party late, camp books are scare and in many cases are out of reach price-wise.  I would think non-camp books, although not as highly prized as the camp books which the collector presumably read during her internment, still present a piece of history because they were owned by this same revered collector.  Would love to read what others think about the non-camp Okajimas.  And maybe see some examples!

@october LOVE the colors on that one!

@zosocane Most of mine are post camp books, like the Jungle. In the beginning, I didn't know there was a big difference, it's been pointed out more lately...and the post camp books were not in the "I might have to take out a mortgage" price-range;)" 

I went after the Sensation because it's a Wonder Woman book, but I like all the books.

6 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

torch15.jpg

Congrats Billy. You actually have one that will go for some real money some day.

Edited by MrBedrock

3 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

billy sold me my first "camp" book

Same here...first and only... :foryou:

I think it's posted up yonder somewhere, but it's been a while...never hurts to post it again :grin:

Funny about this book...I've gotten to the point where I'm narrowed down to a few tight collecting streams...and this book fits in none of them. However, it's a contender for my favorite book in my collection...for reasons you all have been discussing...

militarycomics31_f.jpg

6 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

@Straw-Man Actually billy, it was in a pile of books I'm sending to cgc, this one to be reslabbed so I could show it. Thank you again ...billy sold me my first "camp" book, there is a lot of competition out there. I haven't focused all that much on really bidding on them, but I may have to;)

8766c5c5-1728-48b8-b963-09c38d1f64a3.jpg

Billy, did you buy that book from Jamie Graham? I think I remember him having at a con.

8 hours ago, edowens71 said:

Same here...first and only... :foryou:

I think it's posted up yonder somewhere, but it's been a while...never hurts to post it again :grin:

Funny about this book...I've gotten to the point where I'm narrowed down to a few tight collecting streams...and this book fits in none of them. However, it's a contender for my favorite book in my collection...for reasons you all have been discussing...

militarycomics31_f.jpg

Great book.  The reference to Captain Hitsu on the cover makes it even more interesting, I think. 

9 hours ago, zosocane said:

Would love to read what others think about the non-camp Okajimas.  And maybe see some examples!

Okajima's are generally very pretty books.  I'm happy whenever I find one.

Rulah24okajima.jpg

in terms of post camp books, they are still a great pedigree in my mind. Late 40s-early 50s, high grade, lots of all white pages, books that anyone would be happy to own. I've had a few, but when I was between jobs for an extended period of time I sold the non-camp Okajimas (one of which is closing on ComicConnect right now for at least twice what I sold it for!)

And the post camp books still have noticible marks (date stamps, distributor marks) that give away its pedigree, which is always one of my favorite parts of a pedigree....

7 hours ago, miraclemet said:

And the post camp books still have noticible marks (date stamps, distributor marks) that give away its pedigree, which is always one of my favorite parts of a pedigree....

An unattributed Okajima acquired in a ComicLink auction a few years ago...notice the coding in the top left corner...

thrilling68.jpg