• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
23 23

2,917 posts in this topic

Welcome, and sorry about the circumstances of your arrival. This has happened before to people. Usually with good resolution (one got sent to a comic shop by mistake, one with no affiliation to the customer or CGC, what are the odds of that?). Others required.... more finessing. There's been some we never heard about again, so we simply don't know. I wouldn't say it's all sunshine and roses, but I wouldn't be preparing for the worst just yet. Just keep in touch with customer service at CGC and they'll help as best they can. 

@CGC Mike will have some better advice than me for someone in your situation. 

On 6/27/2022 at 7:18 AM, thescrod said:

mtc .. new victim here ..
been collecting WAYYYYYY too long (40+ years)

got the wrong 'slabs' of comic titles sent in me in a shipment ....and let the CCG folks know of this

but was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with this and how it got resolved in the long run

Be sure and post pics here too.

• Administrator
On 6/27/2022 at 8:18 AM, thescrod said:

mtc .. new victim here ..
been collecting WAYYYYYY too long (40+ years)

got the wrong 'slabs' of comic titles sent in me in a shipment ....and let the CCG folks know of this

but was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with this and how it got resolved in the long run

I will send you a personal message.  Look for the envelope on the top right of your screen.

Thank you for taking care of him, @CGC Mike

Hes our resident admin and liaison with CGC, @thescrod. He does a very good job. You're in good hands. 

Edited by Cat

Been around comics for about 1.5yrs now after taking a break from the graded sports card market.
I read and collected comics as a kid and also collected Marvel Universe cards back when they came out. I had 2 binders full of that stuff. Awesome times!
Sometime right before I started HS I gave all of my books and cards to a good friend - cause now I had girls and cars on my mind 24/7 :) 
(I do recall having key books during this time but preserving their condition was not in my mind nor was selling them for a profit either. I never knew what ever happened to my books.)

Fast forward to 2012 where after settling in as an adult with a wife, kids, a house and an already steady long-term job in hand.....I jumped into sports cards.
Cards went well for me as I had a good hobby mentor and he helped me stay relatively ahead of the proverbial curve in that market. I managed to have the hobby fund itself within a year and then build up a very nice PC over the years. I managed to cultivate patience and that is key in cards and comic hobbies because you can't go after everything that shines. You have to know when to buy and sell and more importantly when to just sit back and allow the market to unfold. From 2012-2019 I bought 3 graded comics just on recommendations. Original Secret Wars #1, #8, 1st Black Panther solo series. SW 1 and 8 are 9.8s and BP is 9.6. 

In 2020, I sold 95% of all my PC cards to fund funeral expenses for 5 people that passed in my wife's family and in my family due to covid. It was very tough. We immediately offered to cover the bulk of the costs since she and I earn well - as compared to most of the working people in our families. We are not rich by any stretch of the imagination but we do have a deep appreciation for family and lending a helping hand, if we have the ability to help we will. Again, 2020 was very tough.

In 2021 I jumped in head first into comics with the same card mentality. Flip books and use the funds to buy key books to have a nice PC to enjoy. Issue is.....I went and bought a ton of modern books without doing my research. 
So I didn't take my own advice and now I have over 100 slabs of modern with the highest FMV being no more than ~$200 or so. It was a hard lesson. I am now reset in my thinking and spending money more carefully.

So with all that said............. Hi, y'all!

I look forward to participating more in this forum and meeting new folks. 

-KB

On 6/29/2022 at 7:31 PM, KB81 said:

Been around comics for about 1.5yrs now after taking a break from the graded sports card market.
I read and collected comics as a kid and also collected Marvel Universe cards back when they came out. I had 2 binders full of that stuff. Awesome times!
Sometime right before I started HS I gave all of my books and cards to a good friend - cause now I had girls and cars on my mind 24/7 :) 
(I do recall having key books during this time but preserving their condition was not in my mind nor was selling them for a profit either. I never knew what ever happened to my books.)

Fast forward to 2012 where after settling in as an adult with a wife, kids, a house and an already steady long-term job in hand.....I jumped into sports cards.
Cards went well for me as I had a good hobby mentor and he helped me stay relatively ahead of the proverbial curve in that market. I managed to have the hobby fund itself within a year and then build up a very nice PC over the years. I managed to cultivate patience and that is key in cards and comic hobbies because you can't go after everything that shines. You have to know when to buy and sell and more importantly when to just sit back and allow the market to unfold. From 2012-2019 I bought 3 graded comics just on recommendations. Original Secret Wars #1, #8, 1st Black Panther solo series. SW 1 and 8 are 9.8s and BP is 9.6. 

In 2020, I sold 95% of all my PC cards to fund funeral expenses for 5 people that passed in my wife's family and in my family due to covid. It was very tough. We immediately offered to cover the bulk of the costs since she and I earn well - as compared to most of the working people in our families. We are not rich by any stretch of the imagination but we do have a deep appreciation for family and lending a helping hand, if we have the ability to help we will. Again, 2020 was very tough.

In 2021 I jumped in head first into comics with the same card mentality. Flip books and use the funds to buy key books to have a nice PC to enjoy. Issue is.....I went and bought a ton of modern books without doing my research. 
So I didn't take my own advice and now I have over 100 slabs of modern with the highest FMV being no more than ~$200 or so. It was a hard lesson. I am now reset in my thinking and spending money more carefully.

So with all that said............. Hi, y'all!

I look forward to participating more in this forum and meeting new folks. 

-KB

I dabbled in cards too, glad you had some success! That's what helps, passion first. The thrill of the hunt too, I hope that pays off as well, but hope you can enjoy reading comics as much as cards. :)

Welcome to the boards, I think you'll find info to help, itll be like reading the funny papers ^^

More importantly glad family came first, that's good priorities.

The comic market is at a flux for value, some say it will drop soon or is dropping

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/5/2022 at 8:41 AM, Selguy said:

Hi everyone.  New to the boards but not to collecting.  Opened up a few longboxes recently after a long hiatus from collecting and I've got the itch again. 

Welcome Back, hope you're here to stay lol 

Regardless, welcome to the boards! :cheers: 

On 7/5/2022 at 7:41 AM, Selguy said:

Hi everyone.  New to the boards but not to collecting.  Opened up a few longboxes recently after a long hiatus from collecting and I've got the itch again. 

Welcome aboard!!! :cheers:

Salutatons all.   My name is Mantaray and had collected comics books growing up, pretty much as a result of watching "Marvel Super-Hero's" , the Fantastic Four and of course the 1967 Spiderman.    Loved the art (Huge Buscema brothers fan), the story's, the characters of the Marvel Comics World.   

Never thought I would sell my comics, but considering doing this now.  Trying to learn more about using my CGC member to slab these and preserve them.    

On 7/9/2022 at 7:11 PM, Manta said:

Salutatons all.   My name is Mantaray and had collected comics books growing up, pretty much as a result of watching "Marvel Super-Hero's" , the Fantastic Four and of course the 1967 Spiderman.    Loved the art (Huge Buscema brothers fan), the story's, the characters of the Marvel Comics World.   

Never thought I would sell my comics, but considering doing this now.  Trying to learn more about using my CGC member to slab these and preserve them.    

Welcome Mantaray!! to the boards comic shows rule, we were spoiled not that long ago!

There is some things out there to fund, I hope comics keeps a place in the heart and spirit!

On 7/9/2022 at 6:11 PM, Manta said:

Welcome to the boards!! :cheers:

Hello, I got back into collecting due to watching the Cartoonist Kayfabe Youtube channel and watching What Not auctions while "working" from home. My main interest right now is collecting every Enemy Ace appearance on the cheap. I found my old box of Spider-man comics from the early 90s and sent one in to be graded recently. Not very cost effective, but I just wanted to get a book I bought as a kid slabbed.

On 7/16/2022 at 7:19 PM, daydoodle said:

Hello, I got back into collecting due to watching the Cartoonist Kayfabe Youtube channel and watching What Not auctions while "working" from home. My main interest right now is collecting every Enemy Ace appearance on the cheap. I found my old box of Spider-man comics from the early 90s and sent one in to be graded recently. Not very cost effective, but I just wanted to get a book I bought as a kid slabbed.

Welcome to the boards!! :cheers:

I happen to have a TEC #404 with Enemy Ace…great Neal Adams cover.  I upgraded to a slabbed copy so I’m willing to sell the lower grade raw comic.  Send me a message of you’d like more info. (thumbsu

On 7/16/2022 at 8:19 PM, daydoodle said:

Welcome! Always fun to see airplane covers! Welcome to the boards :) Glad you'll have a momento book from your childhood slabbed!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM