• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,915 posts in this topic

Hi gumiho, welcome to the boards!

Lots of great info and people here. When you have a chance, check out this thread:

The n00b guide.

Thanks Steve. I just don't know how I missed out on this forum. SO many great reads and until now I am just amazed every time I see people's books and also the books they have below their every posts. I feel like a kid in a toy store

Howdy:

My name is Jeff and I live in the Boston area. Been a member of the boards for about a year (and just stumbled across the n00b guide) and have completed a few sales and bought a bit more. I collected heavily as a kid in the 1970s, collecting during Byrne's X-Men heydey, the Frank Miller Daredevil run, and various other Marvel mainstays.

I remember saving all of my allowance to buy Conan 1 from the Million Year Picnic in Harvard Square in the late 1970s. I think I spent $60, and always assumed it was NM-ish but had no concept of grading as a kid. I sold it recently on the boards, I think as FN+, for like a $40 profit 35 years later. :)

One of my daughters recently got into collecting comics (My Little Pony!) and it rekindled my interest in my collection. Soon I was going through and rebagging, cataloging, re-reading, and checking on the values of a modest collection that had been dormant for decades.

It turns out the Hulk 180 that was the kingpin as a kid had long since been supplanted by Hulk 181, which I had (thought it was a 9.0, but had it pressed by Joey and slabbed, and it came back 8.5 WH).

I decided last summer to gradually sell off my collection to help our finances a bit, and because I wasn't convinced my kids would be that into my collection. As it probably happens many times, I found the more I relearned the ropes and began selling, the more I spotted comics that caught my eye. Some I recognized as good deals or good investments to sell later, and some I just had to have.

I'm still trying to sell off my collection, and am making progress -- two books sell, then I buy a different one back. :) I've very much enjoyed the boards in the past year and the general kindness of the community.

My favorite areas are PGM and the G-S-B sales threads, although lately the probation discussions have been as riveting as Game of Thrones.

Cheers,

Jeff

P.S. I have no affinity for Furbies. I live on a street that sounds similar to Furby, so I randomly picked that as my handle. I've been regretting it every day since.

Hi gang; interesting board you have here.

I've been collecting comic books off and on since 1952, and although the early ones are pretty well gone, I still have the copy of 3D Comics that I bought in the fall of 1953 for a silver quarter.

God the horror comics at the newsstand used to scare the hell out of me, lol, until March of '55, when the code killed everything.

I resumed collecting around 1973, when East Coast Comix resurrected EC in a dozen or so reprints.

When my son hooked me up to the 'net in 1998 and eBay, I thought I was in hog heaven. I've got prolly around ten or a dozen long boxes of pre-code horror, sci-fi, and crime comics.

What was denied to me in 1956 I have more than made up for, eh eh.

I'll post a few covers shortly.

I've been collecting comic books off and on since 1952, and although the early ones are pretty well gone, I still have the copy of 3D Comics that I bought in the fall of 1953 for a silver quarter.

God the horror comics at the newsstand used to scare the hell out of me, lol, until March of '55, when the code killed everything.

I resumed collecting around 1973, when East Coast Comix resurrected EC in a dozen or so reprints.

When my son hooked me up to the 'net in 1998 and eBay, I thought I was in hog heaven. I've got prolly around ten or a dozen long boxes of pre-code horror, sci-fi, and crime comics.

Always great to welcome another Pre-Code Horror fan! WTTB!

Welcome...look forward to your scans!

mm

I just realized I didn't do the intro thing here. For shame Aaron, for shame.

Anyways, hello! Vancouver, Canada resident - big fan of comics. Have collected sporadically for the last 20 or so years. and that's about it.

:)

A very warmsmiley-signs087.gifto the boards Aaron!flowerysmile.gif

Check out these threads for great information on the CGC Forum

THE N00B GUIDE

PGM Guidelines and Helpful Hints

Always happy to see another Canadian Canuck on board!

Hi everyone.

I was referred to by an ebay buyer to this site. I have been collecting comic books for awhile and have a decent small collection. Mostly I have been collecting when I was younger and I do prospecting with moderns once in a while. I have reviewed this site and I am amazed by some of the people are selling on here.

It is like a comic paradise!

Just wanted to stop by and say hi

A very warmsmiley-signs087.gifto the boards gumhio!flowerysmile.gif

THE N00B GUIDE

Howdy:

My name is Jeff and I live in the Boston area. Been a member of the boards for about a year (and just stumbled across the n00b guide) and have completed a few sales and bought a bit more. I collected heavily as a kid in the 1970s, collecting during Byrne's X-Men heydey, the Frank Miller Daredevil run, and various other Marvel mainstays.

I remember saving all of my allowance to buy Conan 1 from the Million Year Picnic in Harvard Square in the late 1970s. I think I spent $60, and always assumed it was NM-ish but had no concept of grading as a kid. I sold it recently on the boards, I think as FN+, for like a $40 profit 35 years later. :)

One of my daughters recently got into collecting comics (My Little Pony!) and it rekindled my interest in my collection. Soon I was going through and rebagging, cataloging, re-reading, and checking on the values of a modest collection that had been dormant for decades.

It turns out the Hulk 180 that was the kingpin as a kid had long since been supplanted by Hulk 181, which I had (thought it was a 9.0, but had it pressed by Joey and slabbed, and it came back 8.5 WH).

I decided last summer to gradually sell off my collection to help our finances a bit, and because I wasn't convinced my kids would be that into my collection. As it probably happens many times, I found the more I relearned the ropes and began selling, the more I spotted comics that caught my eye. Some I recognized as good deals or good investments to sell later, and some I just had to have.

I'm still trying to sell off my collection, and am making progress -- two books sell, then I buy a different one back. :) I've very much enjoyed the boards in the past year and the general kindness of the community.

My favorite areas are PGM and the G-S-B sales threads, although lately the probation discussions have been as riveting as Game of Thrones.

Cheers,

Jeff

P.S. I have no affinity for Furbies. I live on a street that sounds similar to Furby, so I randomly picked that as my handle. I've been regretting it every day since.

A very warmsmiley-signs087.gifto the boards Jeff!flowerysmile.gif

THE N00B GUIDE

A very warmsmiley-signs087.gifto the boards fifties!flowerysmile.gif

THE N00B GUIDE

HI

My name is David , I live in the South Lincolnshire part of the UK and I've been collecting comics for years.

My main collection is British Beano comics which i have a near complete run of the last 40 years.

Just started looking back at my collection of US comics , only have about 150 of these but looking to expand further in the coming months.

Main interests are Batman and associated , Zorro and Aquaman but that is because that is only what i had bought before , got to look out for other titles and try them

HI

My name is David , I live in the South Lincolnshire part of the UK and I've been collecting comics for years.

My main collection is British Beano comics which i have a near complete run of the last 40 years.

Just started looking back at my collection of US comics , only have about 150 of these but looking to expand further in the coming months.

Main interests are Batman and associated , Zorro and Aquaman but that is because that is only what i had bought before , got to look out for other titles and try them

A very warmsmiley-signs087.gifto the boards David!flowerysmile.gif

THE N00B GUIDE

HI, I'm Chris. I have been collecting on and off for about 35 years. Always been a huge Marvel fan and grew up on Frank Miller's vision of Daredevil (having grown up in N.Y, the city could never seem as dark and dangerous as Frank Miller drew it). I also love all things X-men and of course The Fantastic Four.

I'm very new to the whole graded comic thing, but I've learned a lot from lurking here and listening to you guys (thanks).

HI

Hi David,

Welcome to the boards fellow Brit :applause:

Hope you enjoy the madhouse here. There are a fair few UK boardies here. There is even a UK boardie thread over in the permanent polls section. Pop along and say :hi:

HI All

I'm Mark - just got back into comics about a month ago with the NYC show back in June... I went and sub'd some books I held on to and caught the bug pretty before leaving the show...

I got back into sports cards a couple of years ago but real happy to open my interest back up on the comics side.

Recently sub'd some ASM (39,121,122,136,298-300) so hoping to do well on that first lot.

I'm thinking my focus will be key books in CGC for ASM and XMEN to get going and then look to put some runs together...

Would also like to put a vintage Star Wars run together, or even pick one up at some point.

Look forward to reading and posting more.

:hi: Mark! Good luck on your submission and don't get too down if you don't get the grades that you were expecting.

Most people, when first submitting, don't get the grades that they thought they would. 2c