• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,915 posts in this topic

Hello all!

I posted a couple thread in the "Please Grade My _____" forum and was directed here to introduce myself.

When i was 6 or 7 (1984) my grandfather gave me a coverless trade of the Dark Phoenix Sage he had bought at a goodwill for a dime. I had read some random Batman, Superman, and Captain America comics before that, but after that story i was hooked. I then collected mostly Marvel, but some DC as well until I was 16 or 17 and took a break for a little while. Once i went to college, I hung out at the LCBS but most of my interest was focused on card flipping and playing the Star Wars CCG. I started buying again after college, the first was The Astonishing X-men and then Civil War...Then i started reading Y: The Last Man and Criminal and began to follow writers more than characters. Vaugh, Brubaker, Johns and a few others had hooked me again...

Recently, I have been moving stuff around and all of my old long boxes and I opened them up and looked through them. I dont know anything about grading and condition, so I came here to learn some more about it and see what i have that is worth being graded.

I hadn't seen a good, active forum for discussing comics, so, hopefully I'll be able to participate here!

I'll see you guys on the boards,

R2

Now I can officially welcome you R2!

Firstly a very warmsmiley-signs087.gifto the boards!flowerysmile.gif

Any relation to D2 or 3PO?coffeescreen.gif

Hi

Just joined today, been lurking a bit though. I grew up reading comics, but sort of fell out for some time. Not really a super hero guy, my first comics were the Aliens ones in the early 90's, so I prefer darker dramatic stuff that doesn't end so well for anyone.

My love of reading and collecting comics was rekindled recently while watching Kevin Smith's tv show 'Comic book men' it may sound silly, but seeing their faces around key issues or just the way they talked about them reminded me so much of my younger self that I immediately went nuts buying up whole series to read or hide..

I really fell into the new stuff like East of West, Manifest Destiny, Sex Criminals, and I'll always read some She-Hulk. (love strong sassy women..) anyways, i'll be around..

I joined a few months ago and have been too busy reading and buying to properly introduce myself.

Started collecting in the late 80s. Since I was young and stupid (as opposed to now being old and stupid) I was more concerned with just gaining a large number of books. I bought everything and anything that came out each week. Soon I had 10 long boxes of which I only read about 5%...my motto was "bag it and board it".

About 5 years ago I decided to sell of most of what I had, keeping only my Spider-Man books. These books took up about a short box worth but they were all read and enjoyed. I had thought the collecting bug was gone.

Earlier this year I got the itch again and started picking up books I enjoyed rather than just trying fill another box. I'm in a much happier place now with my collection, I know most of what's in there and I enjoy it more. My youngest daughter is now also interested in comics, she likes her Archies and Spongebob, so it's a family event now.

Required family info: 1 wife, 5 kids (ranging from 22 to 7), 1 bulldog, and 3 cats.

77153_10151533573174223_293021042_n_zps2f9bc18a.jpg

Edited by sluggo409

My name is Mary. I have been collecting comic books since i was 5. The first series i really remember is Secret Wars.

I have a twin brother. He started collecting and reading and then i got lured in. Funny thing is he gave them up and I kept going. I live in northern Alabama and have never visited a local comic shop. I guess because there are none around me. I buy all my comic books from ebay, and other sources on the internet.

I have never gotten the artwork in comic books, I enjoy them for the reading and imagination that goes into them.

I do not yet understand graded comic books, I see them for sale at high prices for a dollar comic book, and then you can't open them up and read them. I can understand getting older comics graded, just not the new ones. I own no graded comic books.

I read all things Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse and just about anything else i can get my paws on.

Lastly, I am not married, and I am not interested. I am here to talk about comic books, not dating,

My name is Mary. I have been collecting comic books since i was 5. The first series i really remember is Secret Wars.

I have a twin brother. He started collecting and reading and then i got lured in. Funny thing is he gave them up and I kept going. I live in northern Alabama and have never visited a local comic shop. I guess because there are none around me. I buy all my comic books from ebay, and other sources on the internet.

I have never gotten the artwork in comic books, I enjoy them for the reading and imagination that goes into them.

I do not yet understand graded comic books, I see them for sale at high prices for a dollar comic book, and then you can't open them up and read them. I can understand getting older comics graded, just not the new ones. I own no graded comic books.

I read all things Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse and just about anything else i can get my paws on.

Lastly, I am not married, and I am not interested. I am here to talk about comic books, not dating,

Hi Mary! Welcome to the boards. (thumbs u

Interesting user name. You'll fit in here just fine, for the time being. :)

Hi and don't worry=people here are more interested in comics than romance.

Hi Tiny :hi:

Hello all, noobie Bryan here! I am 30 years old and am just getting back into collecting again. I grew up collecting in the late '80s and early '90s (ouch) with early faves being G.I. Joe, Batman, Green Lantern, and The X-Men of course. I then grew into the great Vertigo stuff in my teens. I kinda fell away around 18 or so. Not too long ago I decided to get Neal Adams to sign some books and landed by happenstance into a CGC Signature Series booth and here I am.Loving the forum and itching to talk about collecting and comics with you all!!!!!

Thanks! I also got back into collecting Sports Cards and am part of a grading forum for that. I created a single thread to document me getting back into the hobby and my collection new and old. Would that be an ok thing to do on this board?

Thanks! I also got back into collecting Sports Cards and am part of a grading forum for that. I created a single thread to document me getting back into the hobby and my collection new and old. Would that be an ok thing to do on this board?
Hi Bryan. You might want to put your new thread in the Journals section:

CGC Journals