• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Traded: CGC 4.0 AF15 and CGC 9.6 TMNT 1
1 1

4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1  

3 members have voted

1. 1. 4.0 AF15 vs 9.6 TMNT 1

523 posts in this topic

They're both 2 of the safest books in this hobby. Both are winners.

Af15 is relatively safe. Tmnt is anything but safe. In fact I would call it risky at near 5 fig levels (but then I would call any post 1975 book "risky" at those levels)

Out of curiosity, what makes 1975 special?

Not that it is anything to particularly special but it is a date most folks use as the cut off for when comics stopped be "just for kids" and when folks started to collect and even hoard them. It is also when the cover price jumped a bit.

On avg most all comics from 1975 on have little to no value. They exist in quantities that exceed current demand and thus keep prices down.

Which makes TMNT the exception, and increase demand for it to the generation that grew up with them.

could be the exception no doubt. I personally put no faith in it (maybe b.c. I don't care about the turtles)

Af15 is relatively safe. Tmnt is anything but safe. In fact I would call it risky at near 5 fig levels (but then I would call any post 1975 book "risky" at those levels)

Not that it is anything to particularly special but it is a date most folks use as the cut off for when comics stopped be "just for kids" and when folks started to collect and even hoard them. It is also when the cover price jumped a bit.

On avg most all comics from 1975 on have little to no value. They exist in quantities that exceed current demand and thus keep prices down.

Which makes TMNT the exception, and increase demand for it to the generation that grew up with them.

could be the exception no doubt. I personally put no faith in it (maybe b.c. I don't care about the turtles)

Fair enough.

I felt the same way about Facebook. doh!

Nothing is "safe" when it comes to comics. Such a small segment want them, and I wouldn't think that segment is growing.

However, your statement reflects a belief that old is a huge factor in value. And yes, it is a factor. But it's not nearly as important as supply and demand. We know the supply of TMNT #1 is far, far less than any Spidey book, AF #15 included. The demand may not be the same NOW, however, TMNT have been around for 30 years now, constantly in the public eye, in one fashion or another. All those 8-to-whatever year olds that grew up with them are now at prime income age, and just like you(assuming), me and other older guys, nostalgia will drive them to what they loved when they were young. Heck, my 7 yr old and all his classmates love them.

I think TMNT #1 IS the AF #15 for the next generation.

IMHO, of course.

The flaw, as I see it, is that while the turtles have been around for 30 years, spider-man has been around for those same 30 years (and 20 more) and is infinitely more popular and in demand and with far greater exposure and support. To state tmnt #1 is going to be the equivalent to amazing fantasy 15 is, in my opinion, a flawed reach.

Today's income earning, former 7 and 8 year old products of the 80s overwhelming will continue to love and subsequently choose spider-man. Tmnt just doesn't translate as well, nor does it hold up when one compares the two.

I see as many TMNT toys, backpacks, video games etc, in Toys 'R Us as Spidey. Maybe more.

TMNT has just as much TV presence.

Movies? Spidey wins, hands-down. But there is a TMNT movie coming(someone said maybe a trilogy?), so that race isn't over yet.

Look, Spidey is bigger, no arguing that. But, as you pointed out, Spidey had a 20 year head start. What was AF #15 selling for in 1992? I'm sure the same thing was said about Spidey compared to Batman and Superman.

Point is, and the future is unknown, is that the POTENTIAL is there. And we're seeing prices for #1 that state that many others believe as well.

What you see and what is produced and sold are night and day according to the statistics. Tmnt does about 30 million a year avg (they have broken 1 billion in sales since inception) while Spiderman is over 1 billion annually and will do close to 2 billion this year alone.

By my math spiderman merchandise is about 20x more annually than tmnt

Nothing is "safe" when it comes to comics. Such a small segment want them, and I wouldn't think that segment is growing.

However, your statement reflects a belief that old is a huge factor in value. And yes, it is a factor. But it's not nearly as important as supply and demand. We know the supply of TMNT #1 is far, far less than any Spidey book, AF #15 included. The demand may not be the same NOW, however, TMNT have been around for 30 years now, constantly in the public eye, in one fashion or another. All those 8-to-whatever year olds that grew up with them are now at prime income age, and just like you(assuming), me and other older guys, nostalgia will drive them to what they loved when they were young. Heck, my 7 yr old and all his classmates love them.

IMHO, of course.

The flaw, as I see it, is that while the turtles have been around for 30 years, spider-man has been around for those same 30 years (and 20 more) and is infinitely more popular and in demand and with far greater exposure and support. To state tmnt #1 is going to be the equivalent to amazing fantasy 15 is, in my opinion, a flawed reach.

Today's income earning, former 7 and 8 year old products of the 80s overwhelming will continue to love and subsequently choose spider-man. Tmnt just doesn't translate as well, nor does it hold up when one compares the two.

I see as many TMNT toys, backpacks, video games etc, in Toys 'R Us as Spidey. Maybe more.

Movies? Spidey wins, hands-down. But there is a TMNT movie coming(someone said maybe a trilogy?), so that race isn't over yet.

Look, Spidey is bigger, no arguing that. But, as you pointed out, Spidey had a 20 year head start. What was AF #15 selling for in 1992? I'm sure the same thing was said about Spidey compared to Batman and Superman.

Point is, and the future is unknown, is that the POTENTIAL is there. And we're seeing prices for #1 that state that many others believe as well.

What you see and what is produced and sold are night and day according to the statistics. Tmnt does about 30 million a year avg (they have broken 1 billion in sales since inception) while Spiderman is over 1 billion annually and will do close to 2 billion this year alone.

Does that money count movies, DVDs, etc?

http://kastorskorner.com/wp/2013/12/30/10-toy-lines-2013/

IMHO, of course.

Does that money count movies, DVDs, etc?

http://kastorskorner.com/wp/2013/12/30/10-toy-lines-2013/

Only licensed merchandise (toys, shirts, pjs etc). Does not include movie or tv or media (like DVD)

That link is for the best produced toy line, as determined by someone ive never heard of (shrug)

That's not best selling toy line. Again, it is fine you like the turtles, but I think It biases your opinion (as it should)

Spiderman titles total over 200k monthly comic sales. Tmnt about 25k.

My only point is that today (and likely tomorrow) spiderman sells 10-20 times what tmnt does and I'm not sure what is going to change that. Hence I don't believe tmnt to be a bad choice, just not a good investment (comic wise)

IMHO, of course.

My comment has nothing to do with "old" but an arbitrary point (1975) in which I believe the supply of 99.9% of all produced comics to exceed demand and thus equating to little or no potential price growth.

Sure, there were only 3000 first prints of tmnt1 produced but there were many other printings produced and based on current sales numbers , my guess is supply exists in a quantity that largely meets demand (based on the numbers of folks still collecting tmnt). Spider-Man on he other hand is so universally accepted and loved and in demand that af15 will, for the foreseeable future continue to way outpace tmnt.

Rick there is no debate both books are in high demand at all times.

The most PMs I ever got for a book for sale was TMNT #1. 12 total from boardis in less than 30 minutes, and all with realistic offers. aka no jerk off scum bag low ballers.

Yes it will never keep pace with AF 15's or TOS 39's etc etc, but if you sell a TMNT #1 CGC 9.6 today you are 110% leaving $ on the table in the future. Not even debatable in my mind.

3000 copies DO NOT exist of this book. A decent amount were lost or thrown out. I would say it more like 2500 total in the world.

I will always trade most books for AF 15's because Spidy is my favorite character.

Spider-man, Hulk, Iron Man, Batman, Superman keys are gold, but Turtles is def a Silver for sure.

I don't have to work because of post-1975 books. :whistle:

Yes most books from 1975 to now do not compare to years prior, but the fact of the matter is while Copper/Modern comic key issues supplies are high so too is the supply of buyers for them. (shrug)

If you saved a case of Man of Steel 18 or TT #44 your profit margin would be pretty good on just a couple years ago finding them in dollar bins and now selling for for $200--400 each in 9.8.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

Just for fun, I checked our store sales. For every 200 spiderman I sell, I only sell 14 tmnt

I'm at the same percentage sales-wise.

How are your Superman sales compared to Spider-Man? Main title, not when they tie him to Batman. My Superman sales are 1/4 Superior Spider-Man.

Doesn't mean Action #1 isn't far more valuable than AF #15.

Point being, popularity alone doesn't dictate price/demand.

Edited by Hulksdaddy1

Last Sale of TMNT #1 CGC 9.6 just a couple days ago.....

Feb-24-2014 $8,100 Cert# 1057037001

Last GPA CGC 9.2 went for 3K, so if this sale ends up being a good the next sale for a CGC 9.2 is already over 4k.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131123042628?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Book is getting hot again with the movie.

Book is the major key of the 1980's by a wide margin just as WD #1 for the modern age.

All CGC grades of this book will be getting a 25% jump on each CGC's grades next sale.

Just you guys watch..... :popcorn:

Last GPA CGC 9.2 went for 3K, so if this sale ends up being a good the next sale for a CGC 9.2 is already over 4k.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131123042628?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Book is the major key of the 1980's by a wide margin just as WD #1 for the modern age.

All CGC grades of this book will be getting a 25% jump on each CGC's grades next sale.

Hey, you start the club yet? If not, get going! :sumo:

:D

Hey, you start the club yet? If not, get going! :sumo:

:D

Well it is going to be short lived club, as i will be selling my 2nd copy next month after it is graded. I will always defend this book as a major key, but I am a Spider-man fan first and really my love for the Turtles ended in childhood, but for sure excited to see the new movie this summer though! :popcorn:

33108842-d19f-4cec-95ef-5781b3c6c968_zps18ddbf88.jpg

Neither TMNT 1, nor the teenage mutant ninja turtles belong in the same conversation as spiderman or AF 15. They are not as popular, probably never will be, and it doesn't matter that there are "only" 3000 copies, BECAUSE IT IS A NICHE BOOK WITH A SMALL COLLECTOR BASE, SO THE DEMAND FOR IT WILL ALWAYS BE MET. For those of you who keep saying you can buy an AF 15 anytime you want, that's great, I always see TMNT 1's for sale too. Gator's point is that the small collector base increases the odds of greater volatility in the value. And he's right. This book has not experienced a consistent increase in value over the years. And the only thing stoking speculator interest now is the upcoming movie. Once that's over the book will settle back down into its historic pricing patterns. Simply put, the guy who got the AF 15 book in this trade got the better end of the deal, both in the short and long term. All the TMNT 1 sympathizing going on in this thread in the world will not change that fact. But if both parties are happy that's all that matters.

-J.

Neither TMNT 1, nor the teenage mutant ninja turtles belong in the same conversation as spiderman or AF 15. They are not as popular, probably never will be, and it doesn't matter that there are "only" 3000 copies, BECAUSE IT IS A NICHE BOOK WITH A SMALL COLLECTOR BASE, SO THE DEMAND FOR IT WILL ALWAYS BE MET. For those of you who keep saying you can buy an AF 15 anytime you want, that's great, I always see TMNT 1's for sale too. Gator's point is that the small collector base increases the odds of greater volatility in the value. And he's right. This book has not experienced a consistent increase in value over the years. And the only thing stoking speculator interest now is the upcoming movie. Once that's over the book will settle back down into its historic pricing patterns. Simply put, the guy who got the AF 15 book in this trade got the better end of the deal, both in the short and long term. All the TMNT 1 sympathizing going on in this thread in the world will not change that fact. But if both parties are happy that's all that matters.

-J.

Simple $10.95 and a GPA subscription will show you most of the CGC grades especially below CGC 8.0 has absolutely been going up the past 10 years.

I am not sure why you don't understand that TMNT #1 is mega book for what ever reason that is. (shrug)

Not many people wouldn't agree that AF 15 is of course the better long-term book to have, but anyone holding onto a TMNT #1 is going to have more money than what they invested into the book years from now.

Ten years from now, yes TMNT #1 will be selling at higher levels, especially 9.6 and below. Hulk #181 is a perfect example of what I am referring to which is stable growth in all grades except 9.8.

There is a heck of a lot more TMNT fans out there than 3k so unless my math is off then demand out weighs supply I would think. hm

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

-J.

Simple $10.95 and a GPA subscription will show you most of the CGC grades especially below CGC 8.0 has absolutely been going up the past 10 years.

I am not sure why you don't understand that TMNT #1 is mega book for what ever reason that is. (shrug)

Not many people wouldn't agree that AF 15 is of course the better long-term book to have, but anyone holding onto a TMNT #1 is going to have more money than what they invested into the book years from now.

Ten years from now, yes TMNT #1 will be selling at higher levels, especially 9.6 and below. Hulk #181 is a perfect example of what I am referring to which is stable growth in all grades except 9.8.

There is a heck of a lot more TMNT fans out there than 3k so unless my math is off then demand out weighs supply I would think. hm

the beautiful thing about opinions is that they don't always have to be right. That said, I believe there is a real possibility that 5-10 years from now folks "holding" a tmnt could be facing lower prices than today. Where as I believe folks holding an af15 will likely see price growth. I believe this to the point that I don't actively buy and sell tmnt 1 but feel I am missing the boat if I don't have a dozen af15s in stock at all times. Just my 2c

I don't have to work because of post-1975 books. :whistle:

Yes most books from 1975 to now do not compare to years prior, but the fact of the matter is while Copper/Modern comic key issues supplies are high so too is the supply of buyers for them. (shrug)

If you saved a case of Man of Steel 18 or TT #44 your profit margin would be pretty good on just a couple years ago finding them in dollar bins and now selling for for $200--400 each in 9.8.

no argument there. There are likely hundreds of books like that , but it is still only a fraction of a % and it is still, IMO, foolish to pay $200 for a $1 bin book. But the market says differently so that is a part of the market I don't participate in as I believe it is a house of cards

Just for fun, I checked our store sales. For every 200 spiderman I sell, I only sell 14 tmnt

I'm at the same percentage sales-wise.

How are your Superman sales compared to Spider-Man? Main title, not when they tie him to Batman. My Superman sales are 1/4 Superior Spider-Man.

Doesn't mean Action #1 isn't far more valuable than AF #15.

Point being, popularity alone doesn't dictate price/demand.

200:111 for superman

200:97 for action

However, we all know current market for moderns doesn't affect golden or silver age mega keys. I do believe the market for a current "key" is affected by current demand.

Tmnt obviously has value. Sot quoted an 8k sale. I simply said that the trader of the af15 left 2-3k on the table with this trade, regardless of reason.

So my point is af15 is now and will likely always be in more demand (relative to supply) than tmnt. I also feel that there is a real possibility that tmnt will decrease in price at a greater % than af15 could (and cyclically does).

But if you love tmnt, to crazy and buy one! It's not always about the money!

-J.

the beautiful thing about opinions is that they don't always have to be right. That said, I believe there is a real possibility that 5-10 years from now folks "holding" a tmnt could be facing lower prices than today. Where as I believe folks holding an af15 will likely see price growth. I believe this to the point that I don't actively buy and sell tmnt 1 but feel I am missing the boat if I don't have a dozen af15s in stock at all times. Just my 2c

No argument on the AF 15.

However, why do you believe the TMNT 1 book may be worth less in 5-10 years?

Other than the movie hype (which if you check market pricing, has done very little for the book so far). Why do you believe it is over-inflated?

Is the issue here because we are comparing it to an AF 15? Would the conversation be very different if we were comparing it to other "keys" or is it because we are comparing it to pre-1975 books?

TMNT are extremely popular and have the right mix of merchandise, TV shows and media to keep them big with children for some time to come. I am definitely not the expert here, but in terms of pure character interest; TMNT seems like a far safer bet than 99% of the other books on here...

Edited by rfoiii

Rick there is no debate both books are in high demand at all times.

The most PMs I ever got for a book for sale was TMNT #1. 12 total from boardis in less than 30 minutes, and all with realistic offers. aka no jerk off scum bag low ballers.

Yes it will never keep pace with AF 15's or TOS 39's etc etc, but if you sell a TMNT #1 CGC 9.6 today you are 110% leaving $ on the table in the future. Not even debatable in my mind.

3000 copies DO NOT exist of this book. A decent amount were lost or thrown out. I would say it more like 2500 total in the world.

I will always trade most books for AF 15's because Spidy is my favorite character.

Spider-man, Hulk, Iron Man, Batman, Superman keys are gold, but Turtles is def a Silver for sure.

This very fact should be alarm bells and shows TMNT is just the latest hot book that everyone suddenly has to have, which also means that pretty soon everyone will have moved on to the next hot book.

Having sold high grade TMNT #1's through the boards, I can tell you there was nowhere near this level of interest 3 years ago.

Edited by r100comics