• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

Hey sha :hi: the book sold here on the boards a few weeks ago. I highly doubt it was done to antagonize Dan but rather to let him know the results since Dan (rightly) had made a big deal about it when it first came back plod

Hey sha :hi: the book sold here on the boards a few weeks ago. I highly doubt it was done to antagonize Dan but rather to let him know the results since Dan (rightly) had made a big deal about it when it first came back plod

And despite probably trying to put a good spin on the situation, took a bath on it. Not to minimize the frustration Dan must have felt, but anyone with a conscience couldn't let the situation go without letting him know. I'd have done the same, and if I were in Dan's shoes, I'd be far more upset seeing that book turn up in the wild as a blue label.

I have a feeling CGC will come to an end......NOT when a viable competitor surfaces....but when this Age of Encapsulation comes to an end.

Someday we'll all realize how silly slabbing comics really is.... 2c

Time for bed. Hopefully I'll wake up tomorrow to discover the last 10 years of this encapsulation nonsense was nothing but a bad dream. :cloud9:

What I always thought was silly was people paying thru the nose to get a 9.8 when all they had to do was get a worthy candidate 9.4 or 9.6 pressed for much less cost.

There will always be slabbing of comics, but let`s face it most of us are a little wiser and don`t drink the Kool-Aid like we once did, so the Golden Age of Encapsulation is over.

Money always changes things, faster than law does too. Regulation or no regulation, irrelevant, people care about money, whomever we pay to grade our comics will be King of the Hill. Period.

^^

Anybody else who thinks different is naïve.

;)

+1, this one looks like it will blow over in about one to two weeks. I would guess by mid afternoon the usual suspects will come along to ridicule anyone saying anything negative about CGC followed by a round of inappropriate post to get the thread locked. (thumbs u

Hi Jason! :hi:

I read that thread, my point was that all of this is just speculation and guessing. Until we hear the why's and how's, we don't really know.

Just read the entire thread, this is crazy.

I might have missed someone else saying it, but I think maybe CGC should only do walk-through service on moderns. This would cater to any signature series and show-only books, and the books that are less susceptible to resto.

Not sure if CGC brings their black light scanners or any other equipement to this, but I'm sure they are rushing to get through these books while on-site.

I too have not read this entire thread but I get the jist of it.

Would it be more conducive to discretely "tattoo" the interior of the book with the CGC number to prevent this kind of fiasco? I think it would certainly prevent the books from going through the resubmittal and screwing up the census.

This whole thread makes me want to barf. :sick:

vomit-smiley-007.gif

This whole hobby is making me sick.

+1 This isn't a hobby anymore. Its a cash grab with shady undertones all over it.

In the few months I have been here, I have heard more about scams, rip off artists, dubious artists and con men than I needed to.

While I know I have overpaid for quite a few books I have, I don't complain too much, because they are books I wanted to have.

Funny thing is, if CGC were to belly up, today, people still selling slabs would not even acknowledge it and collectors will still be gouged. Hell, slabs might even go UP in price.

But lets face it, CGC is the lesser of two evils. No one has found the wrong cover on the wrong book...yet.

Seeing as how all you :screwy: boardies have convicted CGC, you should gather your torches and pitchforks and head down to Sarasota.

This whole board/lemmings mentality is beyond dumb...I laugh at 95% of the posts in this thread....

:facepalm:

Well let's see here. Either this book was sent in as a "shot it the dark" and somehow "everyone in the building with grading credibility" changed their minds 6 weeks later or it was sent in with a phone call explaining the previous blue label and the desire to have that back.

I know which one I'm betting on ;)

Hey everyone.

We've been made aware of the situation, and are looking into it.

CGC's only response to this thread so far,

a generic reply from one of their moderator alt. accounts.

doh!

endemic culture of unaccountability... Can't the mod post under his real account. Heaven forbid.

My guess this will not be resolved till the book is sold then sent in again

That may take a long long time

CGC will just explain that they are human and grading is subjective

The train has left the station for CGC !

:)

But they aren't putting a subjective grade on the slab. They're putting a quantitative number on the label.

If they're going to say "grading is subjective" then the label should say 7.5ish.

The train has left the station and collided with the PGX train leaving a heaping pile of steaming wreckage.

Seeing as how all you :screwy: boardies have convicted CGC, you should gather your torches and pitchforks and head down to Sarasota.

This whole board/lemmings mentality is beyond dumb...I laugh at 95% of the posts in this thread....

:facepalm:

lol

Money always changes things, faster than law does too. Regulation or no regulation, irrelevant, people care about money, whomever we pay to grade our comics will be King of the Hill. Period.

^^

Anybody else who thinks different is naïve.

;)

+1, this one looks like it will blow over in about one to two weeks. I would guess by mid afternoon the usual suspects will come along to ridicule anyone saying anything negative about CGC followed by a round of inappropriate post to get the thread locked. (thumbs u

Yep. This is just a single book. The Ewert excel list had what?, 1300 certification numbers on it?

This isn't a fiasco, it's the System being 'visible' for a nano-second. People are screaming "get it right!" about a System designed to "try, try, again". Someone could try for the 7.0 Blue if they wanted. Like scratch-off tickets, they might get lucky.