• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

The trailer annoyed me for some reason but it may grow on me if I watch it again. I loved the Superman / Batman trailer but this one just seemed to be nails on chalkboard to me.

The trailer annoyed me for some reason but it may grow on me if I watch it again. I loved the Superman / Batman trailer but this one just seemed to be nails on chalkboard to me.
+1

The BvS trailer was jawdropping, giving a minor sense of just how epic it's going to be. :ohnoez::popcorn:

Suicide Squad just isn't connecting. No clue what their mission is ("go save the world " is too generic to give a care). No clue who to root for? (not a big fan of glorifying evil). And no clue why I should pay money and park my butt in a seat. ???

It would be great if those who are excited by the Trailer would specify why they are. :wishluck:

Right now it's coming across as a muddy Expendables 7, sort of, without the story or the stars.

+1

The BvS trailer was jawdropping, giving a minor sense of just how epic it's going to be. :ohnoez::popcorn:

Suicide Squad just isn't connecting. No clue what their mission is ("go save the world " is too generic to give a care). No clue who to root for? (not a big fan of glorifying evil). And no clue why I should pay money and park my butt in a seat. ???

It would be great if those who are excited by the Trailer would specify why they are. :wishluck:

Right now it's coming across as a muddy Expendables 7, sort of, without the story or the stars.

As one of the many who enjoyed the trailer, I can chime in on this one.

I definitely agree with you that it would have helped for the "mission" to have been outlined a bit. It's the first trailer and I expect to learn more as we go along. Though it was just a teaser, the BvS teaser didn't shed much light on the plot, but the new SDCC trailer has, and it's really ignited interest IMO.

What excites me the most about Suicide Squad is Jared Leto as the Joker. Villains have the ability to define super hero films. Nicholson and Ledger are good examples of this. If Leto's Joker can be to the DCCU what Hiddleston's Loki has been to the MCU, they may really be on to something. The criticism and knee-jerk reaction to his tattoos, metal teeth, the fact that it's only been 7 years since Ledger's portrayal -- none of those things bother me personally. If Leto's interpretation is good, another portrayal by an actor 7 years ago in a separate universe doesn't take away for me. If a character like the Joker existed in the real world, I could easily see him looking like Leto's version.

The castings seem strong, and I'm hopeful that the plot will be too.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

+1

I concur with all of this.

I don't think was supposed to be released like it has. it's not a complete trailer in the sense (doesn't answer the W questions) and was probably just put together for SDCC but based on the fan reaction released

The first "official" trailer should be more of what people are looking for

Appreciate all the insights. (thumbs u

To be fair, it's ridiculously early for this film. It doesn't release until after BvS, about a year from now, so who knows. Maybe by opening-day we'll all care.

So, about the Jared Leto Joker. Confusion, right now. He is very prominent in the Trailer, arguably the most prominent thing. BUT... The onset pics (Joker as a Miami Vice villain hassling Dr. Quinzel outside a club, the cartop Batman scenes) and the Trailer scenes make it all look like it's a Harley origin flashback sequence.

Maybe that's wrong and Jared Leto does carry the movie. But if Harley's going in Task Force X she's already had her psyche mindraped, she acted out somehow, got busted and is currently in the hoosegow (the cage scene).

AND... if Superman is the one who brings Bats out of retirement (who's already been at it 20 years) where does Joker fit in? Leto looks way, way too young to have been at it for 20 years too. (edit: he looks to have 20 years worth of tats though, so who knows)

Edited by Davenport

To be fair, it's ridiculously early for this film. It doesn't release until after BvS, about a year from now, so who knows. Maybe by opening-day we'll all care.

So, about the Jared Leto Joker. Confusion, right now. He is very prominent in the Trailer, arguably the most prominent thing. BUT... The onset pics (Joker as a Miami Vice villain hassling Dr. Quinzel outside a club, the cartop Batman scenes) and the Trailer scenes make it all look like it's a Harley origin flashback sequence.

Maybe that's wrong and Jared Leto does carry the movie. But if Harley's going in Task Force X she's already had her psyche mindraped, she acted out somehow, got busted and is currently in the hoosegow (the cage scene).

AND... if Superman is the one who brings Bats out of retirement (who's already been at it 20 years) where does Joker fit in? Leto looks way, way too young to have been at it for 20 years too. (edit: he looks to have 20 years worth of tats though, so who knows)

Leto just looks way, way too young period. The man is a year older than Affleck...

Edited by Chris_Skeleton

Leto just looks way, way too young period. The man is a year older than Affleck...

So who says he was the Joker for 20 years? Maybe he's been at it for the last 10 and was just a hoodlum prior to that. 10 years of knocking around with Bats would still be pretty rough.

Leto is what's exciting me the most too. He's facing what is by far the biggest acting challenge in the history of superhero films by a MILE in following up Ledger's performance, and while I'm nowhere NEAR ready to say he's knocked it out of the park, he's definitely making a strong showing in this trailer. :popcorn:

What's the chatter about him being too young? He's 43. ??? For anyone who doesn't remember, he played the guy whose face got destroyed by Ed Norton in "Fight Club" back in 1999.

1035x714-20140225-jaredleto-03-x1800-1393358999.jpg

Leto is what's exciting me the most too. He's facing what is by far the biggest acting challenge in the history of superhero films by a MILE in following up Ledger's performance, and while I'm nowhere NEAR ready to say he's knocked it out of the park, he's definitely making a strong showing in this trailer. :popcorn:

What's the chatter about him being too young? He's 43. ??? For anyone who doesn't remember, he played the guy whose face got destroyed by Ed Norton in "Fight Club" back in 1999.

1035x714-20140225-jaredleto-03-x1800-1393358999.jpg

Whoa! Totally did not realize that.

Yeah, somebody posted earlier he's a year older than Affleck. It's probably just a combo of the makeup, haircolor, tats, lipstick and especially that Home Alone pose they opened with. Combined they visually added up to 'young' (immature).

Maybe in post-production they'll desaturate the colors and Leto's acting will establish that Joker is seasoned instead of silly. A supervillian instead of some middle age Scene Kid who chased the party too long. :wishluck:

28D45CCC00000578-3086717-image-a-19_1431974398854.jpg

ezODhZu.jpg

I for one like the fact that Leto doesn't seem to be directly grouped with the rest of the cast. I'm not sure the reasoning, if any, behind that. He's not in that photo and he wasn't with the rest of the cast at SDCC.

The more he separates himself from the rest, the more it adds to his character's appeal IMO.

Maybe in post-production they'll desaturate the colors and Leto's acting will establish that Joker is seasoned instead of silly.

After seeing him knock it out of the park in "Dallas Buyers Club," I can't imagine a better choice right now to follow up Ledger. Leto was so far out in front of the Oscar on that performance that it was laughable--never seen a more obvious choice than him that year. VERY challenging role, and he crushed it INSANELY well. (worship)

Look back at the roles Leto has chosen over his career--he began to get rather picky after 2000 and only acts every few years because of it. All very challenging roles, and when I first heard he had chosen this film I was surprised because it sounded like he could only catch mess for it, but in retrospect I may have been wrong if he's able to nail the performance, because it really is the most challenging role in all of superhero movies thanks to Ledger. I liked Leto as Mark David Chapman in "Chapter 27" too, he played a convincing whacko obsessed with John Lennon.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001467/

+1

I like it because it`s much darker than expected. With Batman in it makes it more legit. Leto looks like he will pull off Joker. One thing in the trailer is it seems some Suicide Squad members will be killed off in the first picture. This gives it a tragic appeal. I think it compliments BvS trailer very well.

I am really hoping these DC movies do good because Marvel needs competition for better movies. The last Avengers movie had something missing to it. Like they took their fandom for granted. Competition is always good, and keeps the other side on it`s toes.

Here`s hoping BvS and Suicide Squad deliver the goods!

(thumbs u