• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,124 posts in this topic

For anyone who might be submitting the Batman 131 Quesada variant covers (both pictured below), the Color version will show up in Submission Tracking as Batman 131 3/23 D.C. Comics Variant Cover. At the same time, the Quesada Sketch/B&W version will also show up as Batman 131 3/23 D.C. Comics Variant Cover. No distinction between the two.  I've called CS, even posted a question in Ask CGC the latter of which was basically a blow off reply. 

I see a ME coming my way.  :frustrated:

Batman 131 Quesada Variant.jpg

Batman 131 Quesada B&W Variant.jpg

It's been a while since I've submitted books so I don't know if things have changed with the slab, but my inner slab slides around inside the outer slab.  Is that the new normal?  I wish I could post the video, but it literally slides a few millimeters side to side such that you can hear the inner plastic bump against the outer shell when you tilt the slab left and right.

(Maybe this shared google drive video will work?  Jump to 0:15 to see clearly what I'm talking about.)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14qLZfMdpCzZfpuyYkYri8PDrDh9Nd8kd/view?usp=sharing

On 1/17/2023 at 9:29 PM, ExNihilo said:

It's been a while since I've submitted books so I don't know if things have changed with the slab, but my inner slab slides around inside the outer slab.  Is that the new normal?  I wish I could post the video, but it literally slides a few millimeters side to side such that you can hear the inner plastic bump against the outer shell when you tilt the slab left and right.

(Maybe this shared google drive video will work?  Jump to 0:15 to see clearly what I'm talking about.)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14qLZfMdpCzZfpuyYkYri8PDrDh9Nd8kd/view?usp=sharing

That’s not really a good feature.  Seems it would make SCS more prevalent in shipping by creating continual hard impact points.

Probably not technically a quality control issue, but it bothers me.  Especially after waiting almost a year to get this back.  I wasn't sure if this was an item that would be slabbed, but I checked the census and it has been graded before...once.  There is a 1.5 listed in the census.  This copy would have been the highest graded.

It was graded (or at least there are grader's notes), but I guess when it hit the encapsulation room, someone there decided they couldn't slab the thing. Super frustrating to wait that long and get the comic back in its raw state.

CGC sticker says "DO NOT ENCAPSULATE" and "TOO TALL/WIDE/THICK" as the justification.  Well, I slipped it into an empty Golden Age case and as you can see from the scan, it isn't too tall, too wide, nor too thick.

813762653_1946comicscalendar002.thumb.jpg.e948eb63ca7fc39a385e8ae9bc5dc9cc.jpg

1619035562_1946comiccalendaredgeview001.thumb.jpg.49d0eda06962d55a982a11a0177d91f4.jpg

On 1/17/2023 at 7:52 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

That’s not really a good feature.  Seems it would make SCS more prevalent in shipping by creating continual hard impact points.

Luckily, it seems fairly secure in the inner well.  Under normal circumstances I know you can send the book back and have it reholdered, but I hate subjecting books to the couriers unnecessarily and I know it's a book I also want to resubmit one day when a Hailee Steinfeld signing pops up.  Wish I could get some sort of credit applied to my account, even if it's like 20% off next standard submission.

On 1/16/2023 at 8:35 PM, Gary Strange said:

Ok thanks will do 

I'm not really sure what sending it back will do. I would think sending them pictures would be sufficient They can't really fix that, all they can do is try to hide it ... which really wouldn't surprise me if they did. If they look at it/regrade it and still give it a 9.8 even with that tear, I'm sitting on a goldmine.

Sorry this happened to you. Please keep us updated.

Edited by Gaard

On 1/18/2023 at 4:25 AM, Gaard said:

I'm not really sure what sending it back will do. I would think sending them pictures would be sufficient They can't really fix that, all they can do is try to hide it ... which really wouldn't surprise me if they did. If they look at it/regrade it and still give it a 9.8 even with that tear, I'm sitting on a goldmine.

Sorry this happened to you. Please keep us updated.

I'm hesitant to go through the trouble of sending it back, too.  I sent it in as a 9.8 candidate. A slabbed 9.0 is not worth an ME submission.  What I'd like is to be compensated for the damage so I can buy a replacement. @CGC Mike

On 1/18/2023 at 10:03 AM, Nic8612 said:

I would like to take this opportunity to formally thank CGC for ruining a rare, high grade copy of a 90 year old book. 

@CGC Mikei

I'm going to need to be compensated for this.

IMG_20230117_171412.thumb.jpg.58384f4de247b9a74fcb0024d22e5f62.jpg

IMG_20230117_171418.thumb.jpg.d41815752c928ccaa531378afeb1e2e7.jpg

What? It's in a case, isn't it?

What more do you want them to do?

Considering TATs you may have sent this in a year or so ago, but I keep saying don't send them books you can't replace.

On 1/18/2023 at 11:06 AM, manetteska said:

What? It's in a case, isn't it?

What more do you want them to do?

Considering TATs you may have sent this in a year or so ago, but I keep saying don't send them books you can't replace.

Yep, waited nearly a year for a 16 book submission that came back with two cases having plastic shards inside, one is mislabeled, and they just completely ruined this one. 

A 25% failure rate for irreplaceable books is absolutely unacceptable. 

On 1/18/2023 at 9:03 AM, Nic8612 said:

I would like to take this opportunity to formally thank CGC for ruining a rare, high grade copy of a 90 year old book. 

@CGC Mikei

I'm going to need to be compensated for this.

IMG_20230117_171412.thumb.jpg.58384f4de247b9a74fcb0024d22e5f62.jpg

IMG_20230117_171418.thumb.jpg.d41815752c928ccaa531378afeb1e2e7.jpg

Did they seal the seam across the book, or did it slide out? If it was high grade when it went in, what happened to it to give it a 7.0? Graders notes indicate:

light finger creases front cover
light soiling on cover
light spine stress lines to cover
light staple rust
small scratch left top of back cover

What did the book not have when it was sent in?

I can't imagine pulling that out of the box and seeing the book in the holder that way, that really bites.

On 1/18/2023 at 11:42 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Did they seal the seam across the book, or did it slide out? If it was high grade when it went in, what happened to it to give it a 7.0? Graders notes indicate:

light finger creases front cover
light soiling on cover
light spine stress lines to cover
light staple rust
small scratch left top of back cover

What did the book not have when it was sent in?

I can't imagine pulling that out of the box and seeing the book in the holder that way, that really bites.

It's high grade for this book, as the highest graded example is an 8.5, and yes they sealed it right across the book itself. This copy is definitely not a 7.0 anymore 

On 1/18/2023 at 9:52 AM, Nic8612 said:

It's high grade for this book, as the highest graded example is an 8.5, and yes they sealed it right across the book itself. This copy is definitely not a 7.0 anymore 

Oh maaaannnnnnnnnn.

I wonder if we should start keeping track of the Quality Control people that are signing off of these shipments. 

Example:  QC #7 allowed my one book order to be shipped despite moderate scuffing on the inner well.

qc.thumb.jpg.db7068ca11ab96f76b8a719409562767.jpg