• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,124 posts in this topic

On 12/22/2022 at 5:58 PM, Brandon Shepherd said:

I thought CGC didn’t do ReHolders on site. 

Ah, hmm, well if they don't then do I roll the dice? Maybe back to square one. 

How would we know if QC has significantly improved?

On 12/22/2022 at 6:03 PM, jcjames said:

Ah, hmm, well if they don't then do I roll the dice? Maybe back to square one. 

How would we know if QC has significantly improved?

That’s hard to tell. I had two ReHolder submissions this year, no problems this year, but last year…. If you do decide to go for it then good luck.

On 12/22/2022 at 3:14 PM, jcjames said:

PC.

Been sitting on it looking at the crack for 2 years. 

hm

Thank you for asking the question. 

I am in the same boat and have been having the same debate.  Both of my books are "bigger" books, one is a golden age book from 1941, and both have small cracks in the lower left corner.  I have been debating whether I should send them in for a re-holder but given all the quality control issues I am nervous CGC might do to them. 

This thread has convinced me not to send them in.  They are both staying in my collection for the foreseeable future.  But I must admit, the cracks do bug me.  :cry:

On 12/22/2022 at 7:33 PM, Gaard said:

People questioning whether or not to submit to CGC due to QC issues. Not a good look for them. Doubt they really give a hoot, though.

I did not renew my membership because of this thread. I had paid for it and hoped to submit but haven't for 2 years now. 

On 12/22/2022 at 7:58 PM, Brandon Shepherd said:

I thought CGC didn’t do ReHolders on site. 

I've had a ME reholdered on-site, but maybe that's a different category to them, and it was several years ago.  I'm sure they're less interested in using some of the limited number of empty slabs they brought with them for reholdering vs. full grading submissions.  Worth asking, especially on later days of the show when they have a better idea of how many submissions they've taken in.

On 12/22/2022 at 8:33 PM, Brandon Shepherd said:

Speaking of ReHolders, does anyone here know if CGC uses the same heating and sonic methods used to seal the books to also take apart the slab and inner well? 

All I've ever seen is cracking open the outer case with a screwdriver and cutting out the inner well with a box cutter.  I think there are some examples of possible gouging damage done to comics in the opening process here in this thread.

Also, I think "your mileage may vary" is the most important caveat to this thread.  There are lots of recurring issues, but the odds of a successful transaction are hugely in your favor.  I agree the odds should be higher, and so many times there doesn't seem to be a justifiable reason for the damage.  An extremely low likelihood of negligent damage to a one-of-a-kind comic is still too high, and just because I've rarely had any issues doesn't mean the issues aren't valid.  But, the fact remains that I submit between 50 and 100 comics per year and I don't think any of mine have plastic shards or hairs inside, and definitely none are upside down.  I did have some that were mislabeled, but were easily corrected as ME. 

I guess my point is, more than 40,000 people died in car crashes in the US last year, but people still drive cars.  If you want to submit your comics, go ahead.  Is there a chance something bad might happen?  Definitely.  Should we be agitating for higher standards?  Definitely.  Am I going to keep submitting for myself?  Definitely. 

On 12/22/2022 at 2:49 PM, jcjames said:

I have a SA key that has a crack in the corner that I've been holding back sending in for reholder... for two years now. 

Serious question, should I just keep holding it until things improve, or do ya'll think QC is as good as its ever gonna be and I should just send it in now?

Thanks.

I have never slabbed a comic but have thought about it, especially with books that aren't going to be in the PC. How would you react if something went wrong? Is it a book you can easily replace if something goes wrong? Would you like to hear excuses, and argue for fair compensation (for me that would be FMV of the book plus a little extra for the trouble of having to find a suitable replacement) from the people you intrust with your books if something bad should happen?

On 12/23/2022 at 5:34 AM, jas1vans said:

I have never slabbed a comic but have thought about it, especially with books that aren't going to be in the PC. How would you react if something went wrong? Is it a book you can easily replace if something goes wrong? Would you like to hear excuses, and argue for fair compensation (for me that would be FMV of the book plus a little extra for the trouble of having to find a suitable replacement) from the people you intrust with your books if something bad should happen?

Yeah... no I'd rather not risk it. It can be replaced, but the hassle and aggravation would not be worth it.

Based on what I've seen here, cgc does not compensate for the time wasted and the aggravation at all, and not even the fmv very well either. 

Thanks. 

Hello,

Happy Holidays! If a comic artist doesn't sign a book that isn't his and it still gets a yellow label, does that make it rare? What if the yellow label has “Signed by”, but the book has no signature? The artist emailed and refused to signed the books because he stated it wasn’t his work. The comic was supposed to be graded as Universal Label. How did it pass Authentication if it wasn’t signed and receive this label? 

Thank you! 

batman #118.jpeg

On 12/26/2022 at 11:15 PM, hogan36 said:

Hello,

Happy Holidays! If a comic artist doesn't sign a book that isn't his and it still gets a yellow label, does that make it rare? What if the yellow label has “Signed by”, but the book has no signature? The artist emailed and refused to signed the books because he stated it wasn’t his work. The comic was supposed to be graded as Universal Label. How did it pass Authentication if it wasn’t signed and receive this label? 

Thank you! 

Wrong label and newton rings... :whatthe:

On 12/27/2022 at 12:15 AM, hogan36 said:

How did it pass Authentication if it wasn’t signed and receive this label?

Welcome to the wonderful of CGC. Where, as the saying goes, shiite happens. And happens. And happens some more. But not to worry. They'll send you a free label.

On 12/26/2022 at 11:15 PM, hogan36 said:

Hello,

Thank you! 

batman #118.jpeg

You didn't mention the bigger problem:whatthe:

1332308389_batman118.jpeg.68edd6a9093b5b024839c67ae970c282.jpeg

On 12/27/2022 at 3:15 PM, hogan36 said:

Hello,

Thank you! 

batman #118.jpeg

As others have said, your case is also quite bad for what are called 'Newton Rings'. That's what causes the oil slick look on that area near the middle of the book. If that bothers you, you'd most likely (I never like to say 100% would) be able to get that case replaced for those anyway, regardless of your other issue, as that would be deemed an unacceptable amount.