• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,124 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 12/21/2022 at 2:41 PM, WilliamLunt said:

@CGC Mike Hey Mike, I'm in a situation and I'm not sure what to do.

I just received a shipment of 25 modern books back from CGC. There were some small issues that I can live with
- ~10 books with loose inner wells
- a Canadian Price Variant that received a newsstand notation (I'm not sure if CGC still denotes CPV)
- some newton rings

Some books were damaged and at least one is severe and maybe all are 'unfix-able'.

I'm going to send you a PM.

On 12/22/2022 at 8:37 AM, CGC Mike said:

Hey all

I am working on the "books getting entering into the system wrong" problem.  

Looking forward to them fixing the "books leaving the system wrong" problem.

This isn't mine but I don't think data entry mistakes can get much worse/careless than this... if you look up the cert the information for the book is correct, 'DC Comics' which means only the label is incorrect.  Not sure if that makes it better or worse.  I also think all of these should have been 'Superman #75 Special Edition' instead of how CGC chose to name them but that's just my opinion.

5B682BE3-31DE-4F0B-B866-2E4E102698BE_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f67bc0a43471462947a8e2a8d9336ddd.jpeg

I have a SA key that has a crack in the corner that I've been holding back sending in for reholder... for two years now. 

Serious question, should I just keep holding it until things improve, or do ya'll think QC is as good as its ever gonna be and I should just send it in now?

Thanks.

On 12/22/2022 at 3:49 PM, jcjames said:

I have a SA key that has a crack in the corner that I've been holding back sending in for reholder... for two years now. 

Serious question, should I just keep holding it until things improve, or do ya'll think QC is as good as its ever gonna be and I should just send it in now?

Thanks.

Are you planning to sell or display the book any time soon? If not, then I would just keep it as is (if it is just sitting in a box).

Depending on how high end of a key we are talking about, I would err on getting a book reholdered onsite if I were at a con that CGC is at.

On 12/22/2022 at 2:49 PM, jcjames said:

Thanks.

Is this for resale or your own collection?

On 12/22/2022 at 2:58 PM, manetteska said:
On 12/22/2022 at 2:49 PM, jcjames said:

Thanks.

Is this for resale or your own collection?

Going to quote myself after giving this an additional 10 seconds of thought. No matter the answer, do not send the book back.

If resale, sell it and give a discount for the buyer to reholder if he/she wishes. Pass the stress on to them.

If keeping, from my own experience (and the various posts on the boards), many things can go wrong along the way of a reholder, including irreparable damage, to the book being lost completely.

On 12/22/2022 at 1:58 PM, jjfversion1 said:

Are you planning to sell or display the book any time soon? If not, then I would just keep it as is (if it is just sitting in a box).

Depending on how high end of a key we are talking about, I would err on getting a book reholdered onsite if I were at a con that CGC is at.

Hmm, hadn't thought about onsite reholder. 

hm

It's about $1K-$1.2k book if the case wasn't cracked.

I may wait till con season and walk it in to a close by con if cgc is there doing reholders. That's a possibility. 

Unless walk-ins are also a crapshoot of quality too? 

Edited by jcjames

On 12/22/2022 at 2:19 PM, jcjames said:

Hmm, hadn't thought about onsite reholder. 

hm

It's about $1K-$1.2k book if the case wasn't cracked.

I may wait till con season and walk it in to a close by con if cgc is there doing reholders. That's a possibility. 

Unless walk-ins are also a crapshoot of quality too? 

I thought CGC didn’t do ReHolders on site.