• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comprehensive List of DC Universe Logo UPC Variants
18 18

2,212 posts in this topic

On 9/26/2022 at 10:24 AM, L.E. Gill said:

CGC now recognizing DCUs as multipack editions. :whatthe:

Now I wonder if they will have separate newsstand and direct edition slots in competitive registry sets?  I personally have no desire to collect a newsstand edition of any book and if that happens I’m out.  (Not that anyone will miss me.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/26/2022 at 6:56 PM, Iconic1s said:

Now I wonder if they will have separate newsstand and direct edition slots in competitive registry sets?  I personally have no desire to collect a newsstand edition of any book and if that happens I’m out.  (Not that anyone will miss me.)

Do you mean the registry your out? Or collecting? 

Also they already do for price editions of newsstands.  Perhaps not with your sets, as the superman Era I've seen you post is somewhat before that time. Asm has them, but they've locked them into asm complete with variants sets. So the other sets are mostly safe, even if they get to what you collect, other than superman or including it, they'd be reserved to a "variant set"

Hope that helps

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/26/2022 at 7:07 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Do you mean the registry your out? Or collecting? 

Also they already do for price editions of newsstands.  Perhaps not with your sets, as the superman Era I've seen you post is somewhat before that time. Asm has them, but they've locked them into asm complete with variants. So the other sets are mostly safe, even if they get to what you collect, other than superman or including it, they'd be reserved to a "variant set"

Hope that helps

If they make additional slots for a newsstand and direct I promise I will never submit another book to CGC, nor will I buy another.  Everyone can collect newsstands all they want but if they are literally considered a ‘second’ book in the eyes of the registry then I really am through. I can’t stand the things and won’t be forced to buy them if I want to think of any of my sets as ‘complete’ in CGC’s eyes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/26/2022 at 7:13 PM, Iconic1s said:

If they make additional slots for a newsstand and direct I promise I will never submit another book to CGC, nor will I buy another.  Everyone can collect newsstands all they want but if they are literally considered a ‘second’ book in the eyes of the registry then I really am through. I can’t stand the things and won’t be forced to buy them if I want to think of any of my sets as ‘complete’ in CGC’s eyes.

I wouldn't think they would, but if they did it would probably be exclusive to a "variant set". I don't say that to run you off, but it is the unknown at this point lol

Probably not worth a worry, other than to tell you what they have done. I think if you had superman complete, you needn't worry, complete with variants and depending on the Era then I'm surprised it hasn't happened already once or twice, no? But I'm not trying to inflate the problem only tell you that would be nothing new, only it would be to the extreme so I doubt they would.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/26/2022 at 7:18 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I wouldn't think they would, but if they did it would probably be exclusive to a "variant set". I don't say that to run you off, but it is the unknown at this point lol

Probably not worth a worry, other than to tell you what they have done. I think if you had superman complete, you needn't worry, complete with variants and depending on the Era then I'm surprised it hasn't happened already once or twice, no? But I'm not trying to inflate the problem only tell you that would be nothing new, only it would be to the extreme so I doubt they would.

 

I guess we’ll see.  I think this is something they should have thought about and addressed before releasing that Press Release.

Seems to me it’s just another way for CGC to get collectors hunting/submitting additional books.

Don’t get me wrong, I do like the annotation, but not the idea of calling them ‘variants’ for slot purposes.  As much as CGC went on about ‘rarity’ that sounds like an additional slot/different points for the ‘same’ book.  I may be in the minority but it will be a bridge too far for me and as fun as it’s been I’ll kiss the registry goodbye.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/26/2022 at 7:37 PM, Iconic1s said:

I guess we’ll see.  I think this is something they should have thought about and addressed before releasing that Press Release.

Seems to me it’s just another way for CGC to get collectors hunting/submitting additional books.

Don’t get me wrong, I do like the annotation, but not the idea of calling them ‘variants’ for slot purposes.  As much as CGC went on about ‘rarity’ that sounds like an additional slot/different points for the ‘same’ book.  I may be in the minority but it will be a bridge too far for me and as fun as it’s been I’ll kiss the registry goodbye.

I posted this several places elsewhere, but I believe this will saturate the market, I wouldn't worry too much.

Due to the Newsstand thread, where I either prove myself ignorant or thoughtful lol

It makes me ask why liquidity, over saturation of Newsstand on labels, water down of the product of label notations, and the diluting of the market mean to me? I guess it really all flows down hill, we really need some fiber. :insane:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/26/2022 at 7:37 PM, Iconic1s said:

I guess we’ll see.  I think this is something they should have thought about and addressed before releasing that Press Release.

Seems to me it’s just another way for CGC to get collectors hunting/submitting additional books.

Don’t get me wrong, I do like the annotation, but not the idea of calling them ‘variants’ for slot purposes.  As much as CGC went on about ‘rarity’ that sounds like an additional slot/different points for the ‘same’ book.  I may be in the minority but it will be a bridge too far for me and as fun as it’s been I’ll kiss the registry goodbye.

I am happy about the annotation and curious how they will handle the non-Zero Hour/ non-DCU multipack variants like the Bat Signal UPC.

But the potential registry changes are a bit concerning. It may be like the Crisis registry set(s). At some point in the last year or so, the original Crisis on Infinite Earths' registry set had all the Canadian Price Variants added, making a lot of sets very incomplete. Then they created a new Crisis set without the variants and I had to add my books to it. I would hope they would create a new one for variants for those who are interested but maintain the original. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2022 at 6:26 PM, L.E. Gill said:

I am happy about the annotation and curious how they will handle the non-Zero Hour/ non-DCU multipack variants like the Bat Signal UPC.

But the potential registry changes are a bit concerning. It may be like the Crisis registry set(s). At some point in the last year or so, the original Crisis on Infinite Earths' registry set had all the Canadian Price Variants added, making a lot of sets very incomplete. Then they created a new Crisis set without the variants and I had to add my books to it. I would hope they would create a new one for variants for those who are interested but maintain the original. 

I'm anticipating the score change announcement, they didn't even tease an example, only that they will update in a thread soon enough  :cry:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2022 at 6:41 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm anticipating the score change announcement, they didn't even tease an example, only that they will update in a thread soon enough  :cry:

 

I wasn't going to start a thread there, because hurricane and it being more important, but I don't know if I should be hopeful or worried. Lord's hands, a good place to be! :jawdrop: but it'll melt yo face!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2022 at 6:26 PM, L.E. Gill said:

I am happy about the annotation and curious how they will handle the non-Zero Hour/ non-DCU multipack variants like the Bat Signal UPC.

But the potential registry changes are a bit concerning. It may be like the Crisis registry set(s). At some point in the last year or so, the original Crisis on Infinite Earths' registry set had all the Canadian Price Variants added, making a lot of sets very incomplete. Then they created a new Crisis set without the variants and I had to add my books to it. I would hope they would create a new one for variants for those who are interested but maintain the original. 

Thanks!  My exchange with the Registry admin below… I’m officially out of the Registry. I’m going to copy all my text and pics from my book descriptions and then remove my books from the Registry. I’m not a newsstand lover and feel like CGC has put my back in a corner if I want to remain ‘competitive.’  I also like the annotation (a lot) but hate them giving newsstands higher points and their own slots, calling them ‘variants.’  That’s just me,  Man, I really enjoyed CGC books much more before CGC got involved…

Spoiler

751A457B-7DC0-446C-B5AA-6FC8F0431C0B.thumb.jpeg.c70a7844401f14605666abb80b8ece1d.jpeg

3101C7E8-AA50-487E-9BC9-F2EF1E4668E5.jpeg.a48604099336ccaec98473819c2a27aa.jpeg

CCB52EF5-09D6-44BB-BE4B-571EF6510EFD.jpeg.6053f3648c790a76b3a1d9232c7d783e.jpeg

Edited by Iconic1s
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/26/2022 at 6:56 PM, Iconic1s said:

Now I wonder if they will have separate newsstand and direct edition slots in competitive registry sets?  I personally have no desire to collect a newsstand edition of any book and if that happens I’m out.  (Not that anyone will miss me.)

I for one will miss you. :sorry:

Although I also do understand and do not blame you. 

They do need to be separated not added to already existing registry sets.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/29/2022 at 10:19 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I for one will miss you. :sorry:

 

I appreciate that!  Would miss you too!

On 9/29/2022 at 10:19 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

They do need to be separated not added to already existing registry sets

I hope that ends up being the case but it doesn’t sound like it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/1/2022 at 4:35 PM, Qalyar said:

MH's prices have lost any connection to reality. I occasionally check them as a sort of database for weird variants, newsstands, etc. although as this demonstrates, that's hardly reliable either.

I think what makes the prices worse is that they've absolutely got the worst grading of what is consider the "major" internet comic retailers. NM and VF aren't supposed to mean "Not Mint" and "Various Flaws"...

I’ve noticed Chuck flip flop on pricing explanations in a few YouTube videos. First he mentioned the prices were high to keep up with costs of running a store and paying employees, now it’s because he’s really a hoarder and has a hard time selling his stuff. :goodvsevil:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/30/2022 at 7:23 AM, Brandon Shepherd said:

I’ve noticed Chuck flip flop on pricing explanations in a few YouTube videos. First he mentioned the prices were high to keep up with costs of running a store and paying employees, now it’s because he’s really a hoarder and has a hard time selling his stuff. :goodvsevil:

Chuck is confused about a lot of things…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2022 at 6:26 PM, L.E. Gill said:

I am happy about the annotation and curious how they will handle the non-Zero Hour/ non-DCU multipack variants like the Bat Signal UPC.

But the potential registry changes are a bit concerning. It may be like the Crisis registry set(s). At some point in the last year or so, the original Crisis on Infinite Earths' registry set had all the Canadian Price Variants added, making a lot of sets very incomplete. Then they created a new Crisis set without the variants and I had to add my books to it. I would hope they would create a new one for variants for those who are interested but maintain the original. 

My apologies for hijacking this thread with this issue... I'll shut up after this post.

I just looked at that Crisis set with the Canadian Price variants... what a mess that is!  It even has the Millennium Edition (both regular and chromium covers) from 2000.  Where to draw the line!  Might as well throw TPB's back in there if you want reprints/homages from 15 years afterwards!   That's a Custom Set all day long.  Especially when there seems to be only one guy that cares about all those Canadian Price variants!   CGC basically made that competitive set to please one guy when they should have told him to make a Custom Set.

Shutting up now... hope you all have a good rest of your weekend. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/2/2022 at 9:10 AM, Iconic1s said:

My apologies for hijacking this thread with this issue... I'll shut up after this post.

I just looked at that Crisis set with the Canadian Price variants... what a mess that is!  It even has the Millennium Edition (both regular and chromium covers) from 2000.  Where to draw the line!  Might as well throw TPB's back in there if you want reprints/homages from 15 years afterwards!   That's a Custom Set all day long.  Especially when there seems to be only one guy that cares about all those Canadian Price variants!   CGC basically made that competitive set to please one guy when they should have told him to make a Custom Set.

Shutting up now... hope you all have a good rest of your weekend. 

I'm not completely sure, but I think someone new took over the Add this to Registry / Make a new set/ etc threads around when all this started up and perhaps wasn't following the same rule of thumb as whoever worked on it before. My Legion of Superheroes V.3 set had a lot of mini series and a Who's Who set added in around the same time which really threw me for a loop. 

Has anyone had any cool finds or DCU pickups of late? I've found a couple harder ones in low grade, but otherwise nothing exciting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/2/2022 at 9:26 PM, L.E. Gill said:

I'm not completely sure, but I think someone new took over the Add this to Registry / Make a new set/ etc threads around when all this started up and perhaps wasn't following the same rule of thumb as whoever worked on it before. My Legion of Superheroes V.3 set had a lot of mini series and a Who's Who set added in around the same time which really threw me for a loop. 

Has anyone had any cool finds or DCU pickups of late? I've found a couple harder ones in low grade, but otherwise nothing exciting.

And then there is this, which seems even more ominous or at least mysterious 

Screenshot_20221002-214143_Samsung Internet.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
18 18