• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,172 posts in this topic

On 9/14/2022 at 3:28 PM, ThothAmon said:

I’ve always had mine end Sunday nights beginning at 9 eastern. 1 minute stagger. 

Thanks (thumbsu

Nervous about running auctions these days, but I want some action:banana:

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 9/14/2022 at 3:23 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Not a gripe, but a question:

What’s have you guys found to be the best time/day to end auctions?  Want to run a few $.99 auctions :wishluck:

I don't think it matters as much as it once did, but I still often use Sunday nights if I run auctions. (Most everything of mine is a BIN these days.) I haven't noticed much of a difference between Sunday, Saturday or Friday. The one time I still wouldn't end anything is during a weekday.

Unless you're selling a hot book du jour, I would NOT recommend starting anything at .99 cents. Those days are long over.

On 9/14/2022 at 4:43 PM, MR. Pontoon said:

I don't think it matters as much as it once did, but I still often use Sunday nights if I run auctions. (Most everything of mine is a BIN these days.) I haven't noticed much of a difference between Sunday, Saturday or Friday. The one time I still wouldn't end anything is during a weekday.

Unless you're selling a hot book du jour, I would NOT recommend starting anything at .99 cents. Those days are long over.

Was thinking an ASM 252 & a couple Turtle books...

On 9/14/2022 at 4:51 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Was thinking an ASM 252 & a couple Turtle books...

Well, you probably wouldn't lose money in that case, but I still wouldn't start that low. $9.99 is the new .99¢. (Or an even $10.) I don't know the Turtles market well enough but would still likely say $5-$10 to start.

On 9/14/2022 at 5:05 PM, MR. Pontoon said:

Well, you probably wouldn't lose money in that case, but I still wouldn't start that low. $9.99 is the new .99¢. (Or an even $10.) I don't know the Turtles market well enough but would still likely say $5-$10 to start.

Thanks

I wouldn’t want these going for $10 though :tonofbricks:

Almost rather the $.99 kick in the nads :insane:

Has anyone been getting shipping label cost adjustments from USPS on their eBay account?  I've received two in the last couple of weeks and have never seen one before.  One was up and one was down so no big deal, both were my fault for picking the wrong weight when printing the label.  Since it is new to me, I'm wondering if this is a new process or if I'm maybe on some watch list for previous unknown weight discrepancies.

On 9/14/2022 at 5:43 PM, Withering Wind said:

Has anyone been getting shipping label cost adjustments from USPS on their eBay account?  I've received two in the last couple of weeks and have never seen one before.  One was up and one was down so no big deal, both were my fault for picking the wrong weight when printing the label.  Since it is new to me, I'm wondering if this is a new process or if I'm maybe on some watch list for previous unknown weight discrepancies.

It's not brand new, I've been getting adjustments over the past year or more and fortunately most have been downward(refund) adjustments.

It's also a nice option in case you under declare weight as opposed to it showing up postage due or returned to sender, hopefully it's automated and doesn't get abused for randomly increasing shipping revenue.

On 9/14/2022 at 7:50 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

If you run an auction but you have offers turned on....does that option disappear with the first bid?

I want to say no, pretty sure it's a no...

On 9/14/2022 at 7:56 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 9/14/2022 at 7:50 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

If you run an auction but you have offers turned on....does that option disappear with the first bid?

I want to say no, pretty sure it's a no...

I also want to say, if best offer is accepted the auction ends. But anyone can make and offer even while bidding. What would be interesting to know is if you have to make a bid in order to make an offer, that I'm not sure.

I wouldn't feel bad if the auction due to offer accepted, but I can see how that "might make people hesitant to bid?" Why not just out in best offer rather than bid then give up kind of thing but idk the mindset well enough, I'm not big on auctions: buying nor selling.

What you might do is go to ebay and set to auctions and click sold, and then see if you see any best offers accepted?

I could have sworn that I've had to look up on 130point.com best offers that had bids due to it being part auction. Maybe someone will confim. :)

On 9/14/2022 at 9:31 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I also want to say, if best offer is accepted the auction ends. But anyone can make and offer even while bidding. What would be interesting to know is if you have to make a bid in order to make an offer, that I'm not sure.

I wouldn't feel bad if the auction due to offer accepted, but I can see how that "might make people hesitant to bid?" Why not just out in best offer rather than bid then give up kind of thing but idk the mindset well enough, I'm not big on auctions: buying nor selling.

What you might do is go to ebay and set to auctions and click sold, and then see if you see any best offers accepted?

I could have sworn that I've had to look up on 130point.com best offers that had bids due to it being part auction. Maybe someone will confim. :)

It doesn’t seem right that a buyer can just swoop in and buy a book out from under actual bidders.  I posted an auction up with offers on by accident and got an offer almost immediately. I liked the offer and took it.  No bidders 

On 9/14/2022 at 8:39 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

It doesn’t seem right that a buyer can just swoop in and buy a book out from under actual bidders.  I posted an auction up with offers on by accident and got an offer almost immediately. I liked the offer and took it.  No bidders 

Right? It would be then up to the seller if it's worth it or not for the offer provided and duration of the listing. If you're not careful you'll psyche yourself out, I'm sure maybe it's a clearer line for you. In the optimal choices of: quickest sell, fair price and a quality buyer, eBay seemingly muddies the water by offering those two simultaneous choices when listing ie offer and auction. 

I guess with experience of listing, comes knowing for yourself what's the best way for the item your selling. It can be hard row to hoe for the hobbiest. Being upfront and taken at face value for a listing is imperative, but unscrupulous buyers and sellers will make the honest folk uncomfortable 🥵 and the choice is not always easy or clear; especially for newbies at selling like me.

I just hope I initially gave the yes or no answer you were looking for, so you can decide!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/14/2022 at 10:04 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Right? It would be then up to the seller if it's worth it or not for the offer provided and duration of the listing. If you're not careful you'll psyche yourself out, I'm sure maybe it's a clearer line for you. In the optimal choices of: quickest sell, fair price and a quality buyer, eBay seemingly muddies the water by offering those two simultaneous choices when listing ie offer and auction. 

I guess with experience of listing, comes knowing for yourself what's the best way for the item your selling. It can be hard row to hoe for the hobbiest. Being upfront and taken at face value for a listing is imperative, but unscrupulous buyers and sellers will make the honest folk uncomfortable 🥵 and the choice is not always easy or clear; especially for newbies at selling like me.

I just hope I initially gave the yes or no answer you were looking for, so you can decide!

The offer option still remains after bids have been placed.  Does that mean a seller can basically snipe their own auction if they get an offer in the last 24 hrs that’s more than the highest bid????

On 9/15/2022 at 10:39 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

The offer option still remains after bids have been placed.  Does that mean a seller can basically snipe their own auction if they get an offer in the last 24 hrs that’s more than the highest bid????

Not sure, but if they have more than one account, it "may" be possible. lol I wouldn't think THAT deeply about it, but maybe.

On 9/15/2022 at 11:46 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Not sure, but if they have more than one account, it "may" be possible. lol I wouldn't think THAT deeply about it, but maybe.

What I mean is....

I get an offer for $200 the day before the auction ends. I sit on that offer until near auction close, and if the bidding isn’t looking favourable....I can just pull the plug on the auction by accepting the offer?

Seems like a good way to pizz off potential customers.