• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,169 posts in this topic

On 9/15/2022 at 12:56 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

What I mean is....

I get an offer for $200 the day before the auction ends. I sit on that offer until near auction close, and if the bidding isn’t looking favourable....I can just pull the plug on the auction by accepting the offer?

Seems like a good way to pizz off potential customers.

I knew what you meant, and where my mind went, if you had two accounts: send yourself an offer to do just that, if'n the auction wasn't doing well by the last few seconds. Extra Pez Pizz!!! :sick: 

Pezoutlaw.com | Pez dispensers, Pez candy, Candy dispenser

On 9/15/2022 at 10:39 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

The offer option still remains after bids have been placed.  Does that mean a seller can basically snipe their own auction if they get an offer in the last 24 hrs that’s more than the highest bid????

Wait, I'm 100% sure I've made offers on auction items where my offer was rendered invalid as soon as the first bid was placed. Are you saying there's an option as a seller to still accept offers even after bids have been placed?

On 9/15/2022 at 2:46 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Wait, I'm 100% sure I've made offers on auction items where my offer was rendered invalid as soon as the first bid was placed. Are you saying there's an option as a seller to still accept offers even after bids have been placed?

no he is asking too!!?! same as you, but I didn't have "proof"

I tried to look up aucitons sold with best offer, problem is that when "an offer is accepted", it shows a bid under sold, so I wasn't sure :pullhair: 

On 9/15/2022 at 2:53 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

no he is asking too!!?! same as you, but I didn't have "proof"

I tried to look up aucitons sold with best offer, problem is that when "an offer is accepted", it shows a bid under sold, so I wasn't sure :pullhair: 

Ah, I see! I don't have hard evidence (meaning I haven't sold this way and I can't really prove that I've tried to buy this way), but I definitely have placed offers on books that were also auctions, where my offer was automatically and immediately canceled as soon as a bid was placed. That's why I usually try to offer asap if I want a book in that situation, and I'm usually a little more aggressive with my offer if I really want the book; i.e., I'll offer above starting price and at a price that I assume or hope the seller will end an auction for.

On 9/15/2022 at 12:56 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Ah, I see! I don't have hard evidence (meaning I haven't sold this way and I can't really prove that I've tried to buy this way), but I definitely have placed offers on books that were also auctions, where my offer was automatically and immediately canceled as soon as a bid was placed. That's why I usually try to offer asap if I want a book in that situation, and I'm usually a little more aggressive with my offer if I really want the book; i.e., I'll offer above starting price and at a price that I assume or hope the seller will end an auction for.

Okay.  Looks like previous offers are gone now.   It is a cool feature for early offers though.

On 9/15/2022 at 2:56 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

See this auction of Sept 9th ASM #194 shows bid of $40, but when you look at 130point.com

it shows best offer was accepted at $80. That is the closest proof I could come up with, and I'm still not sure @THE_BEYONDER so I don't want to misspeak.

The fact that it took this long lol for someone else to confirm :pullhair:

image.thumb.png.aa4ce7bb0c351bcfe0400bf0efe42136.png

image.thumb.png.f5eb6690815354cc193a9a5899559e7f.png

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/15/2022 at 3:00 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

See this auction of Sept 9th ASM #194 shows bid of $40, but when you look at 130point.com

it shows best offer was accepted at $80. That is the closest proof I could come up with, and I'm still not sure @THE_BEYONDER so I don't want to misspeak.

The fact that it took this long lol for someone else to confirm :pullhair:

image.thumb.png.aa4ce7bb0c351bcfe0400bf0efe42136.png

Yep,I've had that experience too - where I paid say $50 for something on offer in an auction listing, but it looks like it was sold for $30 or whatever. That's why 130point is so valuable when it comes to setting prices for sales, because a buyer using your screenshot example could say, "well that book just sold for $40" and if you didn't know better as a seller, you'd look at the eBay sale like most people do and you'd say they're right and potentially sell for too little. It's a weird glitch or inconsistency with eBay sold listings, because unlike a normal best offer sale, it doesn't cross out the price and  say "best offer accepted."

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 9/14/2022 at 7:50 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

If you run an auction but you have offers turned on....does that option disappear with the first bid?

Yes. It makes me mad when a seller does this with a $0.99 start on items worth $100+.

By the time the seller finally gets around to reviewing the offer, bids have already been placed and offers auto-declined.

On 9/15/2022 at 4:51 PM, manetteska said:

Yes. It makes me mad when a seller does this with a $0.99 start on items worth $100+.

By the time the seller finally gets around to reviewing the offer, bids have already been placed and offers auto-declined.

I didn’t mean to use the option.  I started an auction for $9.99

Got a notification 5 minutes later of an offer

Interesting function 

On 9/15/2022 at 3:54 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:
On 9/15/2022 at 3:51 PM, manetteska said:

I didn’t mean to use the option.  I started an auction for $9.99

Got a notification 5 minutes later of an offer

Interesting function 

I wondered if it is an option that was already "on" when a new listing was started? And you have to remove it.

I just went right to create a new listing and switched it to Auction; I see the Best Offer button down there, but it's off:

image.thumb.png.0272153f19c0337ffb022443d110240d.png

FYI about Ebay buyer moonshine560.

Went back and forth for days making offers on a cgc book I had listed. Eventually came back with a lower offer than I said I would accept (of course). Since it seemed he wanted the book I accepted. He received it, and was not happy because the slab had newtons rings. I told him this is a slab issue. He ended up filing for a return. With ebay shipping etc I am out $40 for shipping to him and return shipping. 

On 9/15/2022 at 9:22 PM, AnkurJ said:

FYI about Ebay buyer moonshine560.

Went back and forth for days making offers on a cgc book I had listed. Eventually came back with a lower offer than I said I would accept (of course). Since it seemed he wanted the book I accepted. He received it, and was not happy because the slab had newtons rings. I told him this is a slab issue. He ended up filing for a return. With ebay shipping etc I am out $40 for shipping to him and return shipping. 

That sucks, and this is good info, thanks for sharing - I'm adding them to my block list. Just an FYI, there's a blocked eBay user thread where people would probably want to know this too:

On 9/14/2022 at 8:50 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

If you run an auction but you have offers turned on....does that option disappear with the first bid?

Here is the official ebay posted explanation-

If you have an auction-style listing with the Best Offer option, bear in mind that:

• If you receive a bid
    • Current offers and counteroffers will be declined automatically, and buyers won't be able to make any additional offers on your item
    • If you had received an offer that was higher than the current bid, the buyer who made the offer will need to place a bid, as their offer was declined when the first bid was placed
    • If a bidder retracts their bid, the Best Offer feature will be re-enabled

On 9/16/2022 at 9:37 AM, GACollectibles said:

Here is the official ebay posted explanation-

If you have an auction-style listing with the Best Offer option, bear in mind that:

• If you receive a bid
    • Current offers and counteroffers will be declined automatically, and buyers won't be able to make any additional offers on your item
    • If you had received an offer that was higher than the current bid, the buyer who made the offer will need to place a bid, as their offer was declined when the first bid was placed
    • If a bidder retracts their bid, the Best Offer feature will be re-enabled

It’s been awhile since I’ve used reserves but if you set a reserve in your auction I believe the best offer ability remains until the reserve is met. 

On 9/16/2022 at 11:01 AM, ThothAmon said:

It’s been awhile since I’ve used reserves but if you set a reserve in your auction I believe the best offer ability remains until the reserve is met. 

That would make sense, at a quick glance I don't see that mentioned specifically on either page but they should definitely spell that out(or I missed it).

Adding Best Offer to Your Listing

Setting a Reserve Price

On 5/16/2017 at 2:01 AM, jcjames said:

So a buyer leaves me positive feedback, but comments that the item came damaged but seller communicated quickly and resolved the issue.

Thing is - he never communicated with me and I never resolved anything. Buyer got my item mixed up with a set of other items from another seller, when he was giving feedback he ran my single item in with about 3-4 items from another buyer all with the exact same feedback comments.

Question - do I contact the buyer and say that he mixed up my feedback with another seller's feedback, or do I just take the positive feedback and comments and not say anything?

Accept it and don't say anything. I sometimes get 10 or more packages a day. I hate taking the time to give feedback but I do it because everyone wants me to do it. I very rarely leave a custom message. I almost always leave good feedback, even when I didn't like the way something was shipped or described, because I don't want to deal with the seller arguing with me about the damage I see and he can't because it happened in transit due to poor packing. One seller told me all about her husband who recently died of cancer and she doesn't know anything about comics, etc. I don't want to have those conversations with anyone. My solution: uniformly positive reviews keeps everyone happy and I can go through the chore more quickly than otherwise. The only drawback is that it isn't a reflection of my actual level of satisfaction except in those rare instances where the seller did a really awesome job and I make note of that.

I have a stack of around 50 comics sitting on my dresser to put up on eBay as .99 start point auctions. Every one of them is something I bought on eBay and then it arrived as 1) the wrong comic, 2) damaged due to bad packing, 3) not in the condition it was described as being in. Easier in most cases to resell than to complain to the original seller, though I do that also on occasion.

Edited by paqart

On 9/15/2022 at 1:04 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

That's why 130point is so valuable when it comes to setting prices for sales

ebay Terapeak product research is the most accurate tool for finding out the actual best offer sold prices in the past 12 months. More than 130point. However the only fault is when multiple items in the same listing are sold. It gathers the mean price between all quantity in that listing which could vary if sold at diff prices. Still pretty precise

On 9/17/2022 at 1:35 AM, littledoom said:

ebay Terapeak product research is the most accurate tool for finding out the actual best offer sold prices in the past 12 months. More than 130point. However the only fault is when multiple items in the same listing are sold. It gathers the mean price between all quantity in that listing which could vary if sold at diff prices. Still pretty precise

Wow, thanks, I didn't know about this - I just checked it out; it's really cool! I wish I had known about it sooner!